Style of houses in Sydney

mistermoose

Most houses look a lot better and newer here in Perth than the average house anywhere else we have been in Oz. Brissie was not bad and not far behind. But there were more slightly older and not well maintained homes. Sydney housing... Danville looks like the upper class in comparison. Again, perhaps the areas we moved through was just crappy but most homes looks like they were built in 1905 and rarely maintained. There were the occasional home that looked good, but those were few and far between.

This isn't the first time I've heard about Sydney housing looking old-school, but the ads online look modern and very liveable. For those on the forum who do live in Sydney, could you give us some context on this topic please?

Depends where in Sydney... There are old places and very new modern places... If you want in Sydney then it will be old and expensive, if you want new it's ridiculously expensive.. If you travel 20mins away you can get old or new at a lot better prices.. You can even still buy brand new houses 40 mins away from Sydney which really isn't far with expressways or trains..

• Like 1

Generally most Australian cities have turn of the century (or older) to 1940's character houses close to the city, post world war II in the middle ring and then new build 80's, 90's, 00's and so on after that in ring after ring getting further away. In big older cities like Sydney this is probably more noticeable given the larger area of older housing. You might be in an old area, or tatty area, for far longer than you would be in one of the smaller cities (ie the width of each ring is bigger) so you notice it more and think the whole city is like that when it really isn't....you just have to go further out to get to the new houses or drive further to get out of a tatty area. Saying that the bigger cities like Sydney do seem to have extra large run down looking areas...I think this just happens in larger population cities like Sydney. The rich are richer and the poor are poorer.

Edited by Fish

Don't judge a book by its cover! Melbourne has numerous tatty old houses from the street view but in many instances they have been renovated and extended to be super modern inside. The heritage overlay of an area dictates what you can do to the front of a house and many of the older areas are subject to the overlay. The overlay can even dictate the colours you can paint your house.

• Like 1

Don't judge a book by its cover! Melbourne has numerous tatty old houses from the street view but in many instances they have been renovated and extended to be super modern inside. The heritage overlay of an area dictates what you can do to the front of a house and many of the older areas are subject to the overlay. The overlay can even dictate the colours you can paint your house.

I agree with you. I was thinking when I wrote "old or tatty" it may have given the impression I thought older correlated with tattier. Usually I find the tatty areas generally aren't in the expensive heritage areas where the homes are often lovely inside. More often than not outside is ok as well even if it doesn't reflect the incredible inside. It is more in areas where whole streets look run down. You can tell these houses won't be nice inside as well. These areas can be new or old.

Edited by Fish

much of every city in australia has very 'outdated' 1970's style housing

and as everywhere, the more expensive the suburb, the more beautiful the houses

North Shore of sydney has most beautiful houses in Aus