Moving to Sydney (Chatswood,forestville,pymble,st ives, lane cove)

elleneo

Hello fellow Forumites

We have made the decision to move to Sydney,it was a difficult one but we believe it is for the best at this stage in hubby's career. We love Melbourne and are sad to leave our friends and take our LO out of a great school but such is life

As his office will be in Chatswood ( or very near there) we are looking at the surrounding suburbs to settle. Any tips for the move and suggestions for suburbs and schools ( my daughter will be year 1, Catholic School please) is much appreciated.

We aiming for first week to max 15 January for our move date.

Any exprience with interstate movers ? those to avoid?

Thanks in advance for all the help!! ( I pay in koeksisters)

And just for the record I have it on good authority that I make AMAZING koeksisters......

We moved a year ago from Melbourne to Sydney and currently lives in The Hills area, Cherrybrook. There is quite a few Saffas in the St Ives / Gordon area, and the also a large number in The Hills, Castle Hill / Cherrybrook / Kellyville. There is quite a few Catholic school in both areas, but do not know them as my kids goes to the public high school. Will find out from other friends and give you the details through.

We moved with Allied Pickfords as their qoute was the best, but saying that the company paid for it.

Hi!

Once you moved to Sydney, you'll NEVER look back! We love everything about Sydney - great beaches, the best coffee, amazing walks etc, etc.

We live in Lane Cove and St Michaels primary is across the road from our block of units. It's a wonderful family-friendly suburb, very close to the city (10 min), and about 5-10 minutes from Chatswood. There are always activities organised for the kids over school holidays (Lane Cove council) and we've got a massive library and a great aquatic centre with a gym.

Contact us when you arrive and we'll have a coffee with you!

All the best with the move (no tips there - never did it!!)

Lizette

There is a very good Catholic school in Forestville. I think its called our Lady of Good Council, confirm with google. Its also a easy commute to Chatswood from there. Go on the trip planner website and calculate the time and busses involved. We are up the rd in Frenchs Forest, but if I knew then what I know now, we would have settled in Forestville instead. Its much more of a village and we do a lot of things there.

Thanks for the info so far. The Hills district is too far out for us, Ive narrowed it down to Lane cove and surrounds up to but not past turramurra/st ives...Hubby's offices will be directly above chatswood station, so as near as possible to there is best. I like the look of forestville as well and have good things about the surrounding suburbs.

Willa, coming from Melbourne what suburb would you say is Sydney's equivalent to Eltham?

Slingshot..coffee sounds great!..will still decide on who has the best though as Melbourne's is pretty gooooood, I have 2 coffee machines and a plunger myself :whome:

Im going to try Allied Pickfords as well thanks.

Don't count the Hills out yet. I've been working in Chatswood for 4 years now and drive to work - takes about 45 minutes max especially with the widening of the M2 under construction at the moment, but traffic will be much better once they've completed the project early 2013 and I foresee a daily trip of 30-35 minutes each way. I think I've become so used to the traffic and have worked out my short-cuts to the T - the traffic doesn't bother me anymore. It's my "me" time - 45 minutes each way of bliss every day - just me and my favourite radio station Hope 103.2.

My manager lives out in Cheltenham, also a very beautiful area, a bit closer to Chatswood but also a bit more expensive. Both his little girls go to the local Catholic school there and he always speaks very highly of the teachers and the great work they do.

St Ives is beautiful also a beautiful area that you might have a look at - although also a more expensive neighbourhood.

Edited by Heymanse

I like the look of cherrybrook but sadly its just too far for us, my brief is to stay within 10 km of chatswood station, I know we going to have to pay more in rent to stay in those suburbs but such is life. We are use to working from home this last year so need to keep the commute short, I have heard that distance can be deceiving though as it all depends on arterial roads and highways..

Heymanse where in the Hills do you stay? that should give me a better idea of travel distance on the highway.

I really like forestville and turramurra...have started contacting schools in both areas as well as lane cove, so we shall see.

Thanks all again fro the info, it really is much appreciated, as a seasoned Melbournian, when it comes to Sydney I really am clueless...

We're in Castle Hill.

If your hubby is planning on taking the train should you decide to settle in Turramurra, that's like a hop skip and jump away and a very short commute. Driving though would still be a nightmare and even the short distance between Chatswood and Turramurra can take you up to 40 minutes because of congestion on the Pacific Highway. But, if I had the opportunity to get closer to work, I probably will take it with both hands. I don't know too much of any of the areas that you are looking at unfortunately. A colleague of mine who lives in Castle Cove says that Forestville is a really beautiful area to stay in.

Hi elleneo,

Just thought I'd give you an update after talking to a few people I know that live in the areas that you are looking at:

Forestville, although a beautiful area to stay in, the Roseville bridge is apparently a nightmare to cross - my South African colleague that lives in Castle Cove actually said his wife refuses to cross that bridge and that if it wasn't for the bridge they would've moved to that area ages ago.

Turramurra - Pacific Highway nightmare in peak hour traffic. Taking the train to Chatswood from Turramurra would be a better option.

Although people sometime stay a further away from certain areas, they end up having the same travel time as other people living closer to those areas. Sydney's road network is a disaster, to put it lightly, and I'm often left dumb founded by the lack of prior planning when major arterial road networks were put in place.

Please don't take any of the things I put down here as trying to convince you to look elsewhere. Just trying to give you as much information as possible to help you make your decision and prepare you for your move and what to expect once you are here.

Good luck! :ilikeit:

@ Heymanse.. All info is much appreciated, i dont take it as a pitch to move out to the Hills, but I do understand the reasoning that distance can be really deceiving..we sitting in a situation where it takes an hour to get to the train station by car ( a 4.2 km drive from our house) because there is only 1 single lane road!!! we dont want that again...Hubby is all too happy taking the train, but it got to the point where you struggle to GET to the station...

So the plan is to stay close to a bus stop/station...and close as possible to school..forestville doesnt sound so appealing anymore :( will have to investigate the transport options there again...

I suggest you email or phone http://www.brigidine.nsw.edu.au/Pages/default.aspx in St Ives and ask them who are their feeding schools. They have a really good reputation. You could also have a look at http://www.privateandindependent.com.au/featured_schools/upper_north/

The following three schools are not Catholic, but Protestant they have fabulous reputations. www.abbotsleigh.nsw.edu.au ; www.pymblelc.nsw.edu.au ;http://www.ravenswood.nsw.edu.au My personal two favourite would be http://www.ravenswood.nsw.edu.au and www.abbotsleigh.nsw.edu.au . PLC is good just really really big so easy for a person to get lost in the crowd. I do have a number of friends that have had their daughters at one of the above and each have been very happy with their choice. All three schools have beautiful grounds.

Hi Sonnetjie thank you for that..we would like to keep our LO in Catholic school..its one constant we can provide when moving...there seem to be lots of options and some really good state schools in those areas as well...I am however centering our search for housing near the catholic schools that have space..

As far as feeder schools go, each primary catholic school will have their local /nearby high school ...also depends on what parish you are a member of...each parish has zones for schooling which are different to the government zones..usually they not strict if they have space and the school in your parish is full they offer you a spot at the closest next school..

Also my LO is a girl..that excludes some schools that are boys only obviously...

Wow ..seems the sydneysiders arnt as unhelpful as they say! :blush-anim-cl:

Hey Natalie....just saw your post that you are moving...good luck with it all....exciting times ahead...

• Like 1

@ Jill..yes lol..havnt announced it on Facebook, otherwise it just gets crazy...

People tend to presume our reason for moving is Melbourne..which really isnt the case..we absolutely love Melbourne...but when opporunity knocks you have to take it!! we looking forward to all the new roadtrips (starting with the drive up to Sydney)

Still househunting..SO hard to decide, thank goodness for the forum !

• Like 1

Wow! Big move. :-). You have been an old melbournian and extended yourself to many new comers. Best wishes and good luck with your move!

There isn't really a place I can say is similar to Eltham, that place is one on it's own, it was like living in the bush and we loved going there on weekends with all its nice coffee shops and restaurants, seeing that we stayed in Templestowe it was a quick trip. In Cherrybrook you can live near the bush like that, but sadly no nice small restaurants. I would think more to St Ives, or Pymble might be good.

Catholic schools I found was Tangara, a friends daugters went there and they were happy but once again this is in Cherrybrook. Hope you find the perfect school for the kids.

Willa

Thanks ladies, Im looking at forestville again as the school secretary was very friendly and I get a good feeling about the area...havnt ruled out chatswood itself but I get a feeling it might be a bit on the busy side...

SO hard to decide!! :(

My husband also works in Chatswood about 300m walk from the station..We also stay in Cherrybrook and I must tell you the community is just absolutely amazing! Commute for hubby is about 50mins but he really enjoys the fact that he can read on the train and not have to worry about traffic etc.

You can also have a look at http://bettereducation.com.au/CatholicSchoolView.aspx You can filter the search according to suburb and to only show catholic schools.

Good luck!

A

Edited by AAAZR

Hi again..

Anyone know what the suburb Ryde is like? looks afforedable and some nice houses..the local catholic primary ( St charles') is academically strong....

Why not also consider Cheltenham/Beecroft areas. Just a 20-25 minute commute by train and around the same if he chose to drive. Beautiful properties, large plots. Really really nice leafy suburbs.

Also boils down to your budget, if you happy to pay over $750 (min) per week in rent then these areas mentioned.

Something to keep in mind is that if you paying this sort of rent, you might aswell get a mortgage and buy your own property, albeit a little further out.

Hi Robbie..we have budgeted around that range, but I have seen some lovely places from as low as $680.. depending on proximity to the station and schools etc WIll bite down and pay it to be nearer to work, as far as buying goes, I dont think it would be too smart buying straight away as we dont know sydney very well at all ..

....its at this stage all about timing I reckon, looks like its just too soon to look for a rental as most places ive looked at are available first week in Dec and we moving first week in Jan..

Ive in the meantime contacted 2 schools, one in pymble and one in forestville..would still like to round it off to 3 and then limit myself to searching for rentals around there...if I try for a school near lane cove that will give me good triangle lol...

@ heymanse..thanks for the beecroft tip..looks like a stunning area!!

Edited by elleneo

Hi, have you looked at Corpus Christi school in St Ives? Our boys have been playing cricket for the local club with kids from there. We live in St Ives and the morning commute to Chatswood would not be that bad either by train or car. I have also been working in Forestville and it is a lovely area. I have attended to several patients whose children go to the catholic school there. The traffic over the Roseville bridge can be a nightmare! What about looking at other suburbs on the North Shore like Lindfield, Killara etc. Good luck....these decisions are not easy to make.