Cadac Skottelbraai

STC

Hello everybody!

We are currently finalising our "decluttering" process.

Can anybody confirm whether a Cadac Skottelbraai fits on an Australian gas bottle? Don't want to pack it if we cannot use it......

Regards,

STC

Hi STC, we are taking ours. Yes as Naomi says they don't fit but you can have them converted for a very reasonable fee. If your's are still good then bring them!!

We bought the conversion piece at the SA shop and another little piece from Bunnings. To be honest, I wish we had emptied our gas bottle and brought it with as its not as stable as I'd like. Ours was for a gas potjie. A gas skottle is very useful for picnics but a 4 burner gas braai from Bunnings cost us $149 and is wonderful.

Forget about bringing gas bottles from South Africa.

You won't be able to fill them up again in Australia.

They have a different fitting that don't fit the Australian gas supplier's outlet and also, more importantly, don't have an Australian 10 year gas bottle fitness warrant stamped on the base of the gas bottle.

It's illegal to fill any gas bottle . . . . Australian gas bottle or foreign gas bottle . . . without this 10 year stamp.

So . . . . bringing a gas bottle from South Africa will only make a good boat anchor unfortunately, once it's empty of gas!

Cadac skottles are great.

I saw one in action on a camping trip I did with a few South Africans up in the southern Flinders Ranges a few years ago.

I'd never seen anything like it in Australia.

I was envious of it, because it was so handy and cooked well.

I was told you could get the fitting to take an Australian gas bottle at a gas supplier's called "Pirtek" . . . .a chain of gas shops across Australia.

My advice?

Bring it.

You won't see anything else like it Australia!

Edited by Bob

You can get the converter in Big W sometimes. I walked in with the skottle pipe at Big W and fished around the fittings until I found the right one.

Edited by RichardH

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting to note about the good old skottelbraai that can be purchased in Australia: Due to Australian regulations the Skottel is sold with a tripod legs and not the commonly known stem system.