Public School Primary and High Schools

Ladyjane

Hi all been browsing for a while now on this site find it very intresting love reading everybodys story's, I also have a little story and I feel the best way to get more info and advise is to finaly put myself outthere and ask for guidance as I am starting to feel a bit nervous as time are coming closer for us to do the final packing :(

My Husband and two daugters age 8 and 14 will probably be in Sydney in October this year. What worry's me is that the kids have to start school as soon as posible and I dont even know were to start?

We did receive a list of areas from a friend to look for a place to rent but not sure if theres any schools? The names off areas are Burwood,Concord,Fivedock, Leichard,Rhodes,Ryde, Strathfield,Greystanes,Pemulwuy not sure if all are correct. We are living in between Randparkridge and Fourways area,if anyone can possibly give advise on areas that are similar there that i can look at I would realy appreciate it.

Thank you love reading your news kind off feels nice to know that there's so many of us in the same situations puts my heart at ease :holy:

I think the reason why no one responded is possibly because it is SO difficult to recommend an area or schools in a city which stretches 150km from North to South! Also I don't think there may be a lot of members who live in the the areas you mention, which does not make it easy to respond on those specific areas. I'm equally useless in this instance I'm afraid - just don't want you to think no one wants to answer you or care enough to try. From experience, most South Africans settle in the Northern Beaches & Hills District (and the areas in between on the Northern side of Sydney). There are a few city slickers and a few from the beaches South of the city. If hubby has a job, take that as a starting point as travel time to work can be a nightmare in Sydney. :)

Hi LadyJane,

I live in Ryde. I often use public transport and I see a lot of girls that take the bus from our area to Riverside Girls High School (a public school). I don't know what the school is like though but you could have a look at their website http://www.riversideg-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/public/website/. Where we live there are 3 public primary schools (all co-ed) - Meadowbank primary school, Ryde primary school, and Putney primary school. I've heard good reviews about all 3 from local moms.

I agree with Riekie - you need to choose an area close to work though. Don't judge by distances because that can be deceptive. A short trip can sometimes take a long time in Sydney depending on time of day etc. My husband works in Regents Park - he leaves 7am to get to work and it takes him 25 minutes, In the evenings he leaves work at 5pm and it takes him just over an hour to get home. The good thing about living in Ryde is that it has good public transport options - meadowbank ferry and station are nearby and it has a number of bus routes running through it with good connections into the City.

PM me if you'd like more info about Ryde.

Thank you to all for the advise on schools it realy helped. It will be my last working day at a preschool on the 28 September. Never emagined that I will feel so emotional ? Funny how you get used to kids thats not even your own :(. The bitter sweet side of it I am realy looking forward to new beginings.

Good luck with your upcoming move Ladyjane, unfortunately I am unfamiliar with those areas and schools as we live in the Hills District. The one thing I can say is dont stress too much about it, it all tends to fall into place once you are here. Firstly finding the right area for good transport links to work and then seeing which schools fall within your area. Remember this only applies for public schools. Private schools dont have a set area. Just take it one step at a time. All the best.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone live or work near Crow's nest? Im hunting for good catholic/private primary schools near there...

Also, what would the commute to crows nest be like from St Ives or say Pymble?

Thanks in advance...

Hi Elleneo, you moving to NSW? Since you've been around a while you probably know the links I've posted below but maybe it will help someone else as well :)

A good place to start in your search for a school would be the http://bettereducation.com.au/ site where schools are listed according to areas, government/independent etc.

For an idea of commute have a look at http://www.131500.com.au/ where you can enter destination and arrival time which will then give you an indication of public transport availability and travel time. I would say from St Ives you're probably looking at travel time of about 45 mins to CrowsNest and from Pymble about 35mins.

@Ladyjane: I also don't know any of the areas you listed but we are currently also in the Hills District and love it! We're in Cherrybrook (Kersiefontein :blush-anim-cl: ) with good public and private schools all around and an African Shop just round the corner. Good luck in finding that place you can call home :ilikeit:

A

Does anyone live or work near Crow's nest? Im hunting for good catholic/private primary schools near there...

Also, what would the commute to crows nest be like from St Ives or say Pymble?

Thanks in advance...

I am guessing you are going to work in Crows Nest? How exciting, beautiful area of the world. We dont live that far way, in Frenchs Forest (been in the house for exactly two weeks, moved from different part Sydney). I think Northbridge is great. We are going to http://www.borrusos.com/home.php tonight. Its a pizza place owned by the same guys who have Lucky Tsotsi, the RSA shebeen in town. I think Roseville is good too, also Forestville and Killarney Hights. All have good pre schools and wonderful state primaries. People love Willoughby too. Most of the big rds can become chockers in peak times. Still, it takes my husband 35min door to door with his scooter (including walking to and from parking).

Thanks for the replies, ill take a look at the links ..

First have to do my research before making any move to out of Melbourne (which we love dearly!) ..main thing is getting a good suburb with a catholic primary school as near as possible to crows nest...

Thanks for the replies, ill take a look at the links ..

First have to do my research before making any move to out of Melbourne (which we love dearly!) ..main thing is getting a good suburb with a catholic primary school as near as possible to crows nest...

Just a tip for the bettereducation site, you can search for catholic schools using the advanced search tab (4th from the top) and entering the post code. Crows Nest is 2065 and some of the closest is :

Lane Cove (2066) .St Michaels Primary School Lane Cove gets a 99 rating on the website so probably worth looking at. http://www.stmichael...chool/index.asp

Chatswood (2067) with St Pius X College but its not co-ed (boys only) with a 100 rating!http://www.spx.nsw.edu.au/

NorthBridge (2063) St Philip Neri Catholic Primary school , not yet rated. http://www.dbb.org.a...es/Default.aspx

Good luck with all the planning and decisions!!

A

Edited by AAAZR

There is a good Catholic school in Forestville called Our Lady of Good Councel. Google them, or check on myschools website.