Need info on Proserpine, Cannonvale, Airlie Beach - Queensland

Southern Right

Hi All

We want to relocate to Queensland and I'm trying to get an idea of the different towns that could work for us. We quite like Proserpine, Cannonvale and Airlie Beach, can anyone give me an idea of what it is like living in these towns? Important criteria includes: private schools, swimming pools suitable for lap swimming, reasonable sporting scene, warm weather, job opportunities, friendly community.

I would appreciate any info anyone can give me, if you happen to live there, please give me an idea of what life there is like, the age of the community, etc.

Can't wait to hear from you!

Hi, best is to contact Nilo on the forum as she lives in Airlie Beach. Quite a smallish town, but see that you are from Hermanus so that won't be an issue then. Otherwise gorgeous town and close to the Whitsunday Islands. It is a bit tropical, but not as much as up here in Cairns. So weather will be a whole lot different to Hermanus LOL but being a Capie myself you adjust quickly to the humidity. This time of year is lovely. Blue skies, sunshine all round and no humidity. Perfect winter weather :-)

Nilo is your best contact, but Cannonvale is a suburb of Airlie beach, as is Jubilee Pocket. Airlie beach is quite small but of course you have the barrier reef and all the islands at hand. That also means that the main street is always full of holiday makers and backpackers. I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to live in Proserpine.....sorry.

What sort of work will you be looking for? I don't think that there would be a lot of employment opportunities there, however a fair number of people live in Airlie Beach or Mackay and commute to mine sites in the Bowen basin.

Hi we live in Cannonvale for three years and then moved to Sydney . what we found was that it was a very nice place to be if your children were tiny once they were out of high school there is not much for them to do also if you have children that want to go to uni where and which one would they like to attend my son did very well at Proserpine high but wanted to go to Sydney uni where is just finishing his PhD in physics. there are a lot of things one needs to consider like work for instance what you do and if there are opportunities for you there is a very strong south african community there now not so when we lived there but the people are friendly and very helpful if you have young kiddies let do sport and also swimming I hope I have been helpful in some way