New South African Restaurant in Sydney

Beebop24

A funky new restaurant has opened up on Oxford Street in Surrey Hills called the Lucky Tsotsi! Friends have been and said it was great. I have looked at the menu and prices and they are not exhorbitant by Sydney standards. Would make for a fun night out with friends! Here is the link http://www.luckytsotsi.com.au/

• Like 1

Looks like fun, and the prices seem to be fair.

I'm SO taking hubby there! All his favourites! Chicken Livers PeriPeri, Garlic Snails.....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Someone mentioned this place on the forum a while ago and we gave it a go this weekend. What a place! What a vibe! And the food!!.... They've only been there for 6 weeks and already the place is absolutely packed - not by South Africans so much as Sydneysiders, Poms & Kiwis! Definitely not a AWB reunion! The service is great and the staff very friendly - they'd make small talk and mingle with the guests. Really nice!

The decor is authentic, the food and drink truly South African and the prices really good! I don't think there was anything on the menu over $19. Portions are small enough and you could order 2 or 3 different things so you could try it all. My personal highlight was the samoosas - the real thing! - koeksisters and Dom Pedro's! Hubby has been craving for chicken livers peri-peri for 8 years now, and he was in heaven! Oh, and they have bunny chow! Go give this place a go - you will not be disappointed. We will definitely go back plenty times! From about 8pm the place really fills up so if you want a spot, go at around 6pm (they are open from 3pm)

They are @ 245 Oxford Street in Surry Hills (very close to St Vincent Private Hospital - between Darlinghurst Rd & Victoria Str, on the left side of the street going towards the city). They don't take reservations but this is the number anyway: 8354 1306. They also have a website: www.luckytsotsi.com.au The food and drink menus are on the website.

• Like 2

Wow, it looks amazing Riekie, what else was on the menu....I am salivating at those samoosas

Thanks for sharing!! I would do anything for a couple of Windhoek Lagers right now.

We'll definately check this place out next time we're in Sydney.

Wow Riekie one can see why you are into photography. Your pics make the place come alive, I can almost feel the vibe just by looking at it and the samosas don't look bad either.

• Like 1

What a great idea! I will be there next time I'm in Sydney :) Thanks Riekie.

Now that's enough to make yourself think you're back in SA!

That is cool. When we visit Sydney will try pop in there.

Will be in sydney this week again so hopefully can make a turn

Wish they would open 1 in Perth....

OMG! Is that Obs I see behind the bar? Yummy!!! And peri peri chicken livers... Yummy!!!

A definite visit the next time we're in Sydney. That Riekie.

OBS on a cold wintry day like this....heaven, I'm so jealous of any of you that can visit the Lucky Tsotsi.

Other things on the menu were pap & sous, boerewors rolle, spare ribs, snack platter with biltong & dröe wors and other traditional snacks, 1/2 chicken and a few other things.

They do have OBS and I did have some :)

The photos were taken with my iPhone in low light, so not the greatest but I'm glad it captured the essence and vibe of the place!

Looks amazing. Those peri peri livers look so nice.

Saw it on the bus today when we passed by - will pop in and have a meal for sure!! Do you think it's owned by an ex-Saffer? :wacko::blink::unsure:

must be ex-saffer, or else he did his homework real good...the decor...chappies...savanna...lion matches... a taxi :) very very good, its look so nice, that will be one destination we will not miss. And to top it off, I love Surrey Hills!

Do you think it's owned by an ex-Saffer? :wacko::blink::unsure:

Quite possibly - their "story" on the website tells of Lucky dreaming of opening up his own shebeen and then found the right spot in Sydney, miles from home...

Ex-Saffer or not - It's a brilliant idea - wish I thought of that!

Please stop talking about samoosa's Cramer ;) they are my ultimate cannot stop eating food, cheese and onion, potato and pea, vegetable.............maybe I should learn how to make them.

What kind of Samoosa's are they Riekie?

Veggie or Lamb (and it is minced meat, not chunks or 90% bread and who knows what! - its made the way they make them in RSA! :ilikeit: )

Looks great. A franchise in the making...????