ANYBODY FROM P.E?

KevB

Hi

To be honest with you, I would've counted sand grains in the Outback just to get in for starters! ---- :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, we tried to go the normal visa route where we could then pick and choose. However, we missed the points system by 1 so had to revert to a 457 visa app. We tried Perth and were looking forward to it but at the death, the opportunity went cold (excuse the pun).

I was the faced with this opportunity in Melbourne ,,,, we took it gladly as we had always maintained that either of the bigger cities would be great to settle in. Melbourne cant be that bad if it was voted the most livable city last year ...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

My husband will be writing his IELTS next weekend in PE. It all has happened so fast and we have not yet received the study guide. Has anyone recently done the tests who can perhaps help us out with the study guides?

That will be great!

• Like 1

Welcome YaliRay.....this forum is of great help.....the test is not as difficult as perceived......you will find on this forum a number of people have written and passed even though english was not their first language.....if you are able to, sift through the forum because this topic has been covered recently ( sorry I cannot tell you exactly which thread).....my hubby and I did not even study for it, so don't become too stressed over the test.......I am sure your hubby will do fine......All the best.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

We are from PE but living in Luxembourg since Nov 2010. Just submitted my skills assessment documents to Vetassess, hopefully all goes well. Good luck to all of you waiting for visa approval.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi PE Folks

Hope you are all doing well! I have an IELTS book thanks to Tracy Harris, now living in Perth. If you know of anyone who may benefit from the book, please let them know. My cell number is 082 896 7463.

Leaving in Jan 2013 for Perth. Please get in touch with me if you are still in PE!

Cherio

Wendy

Wendy we wanted to leave in December, but due to circumstances, that may not be possible. So it may be January that we will be heading off to Perth.

Where are you heading?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

We are still in PE but hoping to move to Sydney area soon. DH going for interview middle Oct. Anybody with advise, pls PM me. So many questions, so little time.

Happy National Braai day everyone!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jelly tots and Michelle

Apologies the dealy in replying, but i forgto to put the "follow this tpoic" button on.

My occupation (financial planning) is closed for Perth, so i have apllied for NSW ( approved) and waiting for a reply from ACT, should be this week.

I will then decide (if i have the choice? ) where to head to. I am very keen on canberra as i know pe people there that love it. Sydney seems a little daunting at the moment......but if i have to kick off there.....OZ is OZ!

Being divorced with no children of my own.....makes the move even more surreal......but i must say, i am loking forward to the adventure!

It would be great to get in touch in PE, as i am finding that people that havent experienced emigration, dont really understand the "roller coaster ride" that we are on!

Bye for now

Wendy

• 3 weeks later...

Howzit my fellow Port Elizbethians / Baainaars

Once you decided on a city, use the internet it is a valuable source of info. We decided on Brisbane because it is smaller than the other major cities and warmer throughout the year and more laid back and close to sandy beaches and we have the Queensland Reds. We used the net to rent a house once we found the ideal suburb and got the kids an interview with the school closest to the rental house. Don't worry about the suburbs they're all OK and there is an abundance of parks, schools and supermarkets scattered around the suburbs. You will adapt to the food and the way of life sooner than you think. And if you want to get around you'll find the public transport more than adequate and makes for quite a bit of adventure.

Cheers, Brendan

• Like 1

Hi Brendan

Thanks for the mail! So good to hear from fellow PE people.

My plan is to go to Brisbane and do an LSD trip from there up to Sydney. However, if i like Brisbane and can find work (financial services/life assurance) than i will move no further! I have really great mates in Warner and will loook there or North Lake. Keep in touch. There are lots of people moving to Oz. I lent the IELTS book (left by a fellow PE person) to a gentleman today. Felt really good to "pay it forward" as so many people have been kind to me.

Keep well and enjoy oz!

Wendy

Hi Brendan

Thanks for the mail! So good to hear from fellow PE people.

My plan is to go to Brisbane and do an LSD trip from there up to Sydney. However, if i like Brisbane and can find work (financial services/life assurance) than i will move no further! I have really great mates in Warner and will loook there or North Lake. Keep in touch. There are lots of people moving to Oz. I lent the IELTS book (left by a fellow PE person) to a gentleman today. Felt really good to "pay it forward" as so many people have been kind to me.

Keep well and enjoy oz!

Wendy

I don't know if you've tried www.seek.com.au but I put Financial services in as a key word and quite a bit of jobs came up http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?DateRange=31&SearchFrom=quickupper&SearchType=search+again&Keywords=financial+services&location=1004

it's worth a shot mate, cheers

• 4 months later...

Any newbies from PE??

et

Hi Et....Clinton here from the Friendly City. We have just started the process...trying for a 189 or 190 on my wifes Bcomm degree...1st thing will be the IELTS test for the wife...next date in PE IN May...think the 25th...based on how many points she gets on the academic test we will then get all our documentation together for the skills and work assessment. Hoping to have the option of leaving for Aussie by November / December next year...would be great to compare 'notes' with you.

Cheers.

Clinton.

Hey Eto,

Whats the go bru? you heading back to Oz or staying in SA for now? Hope all is well that side.

CLinton, Good luck with the process. Let me assure its all worth the effort.

@ Vaughanroe - Howzit Big man! All good here and just checking up to see if i will be the last to put the lights off, as everybody around me has either left or thinking of leaving!!! See our friend Al is now a biker man.....nice bike though.

@ Clinton - Looks like you have it all planned and hope it works out for you guys. I will glagly help where possible and will send you a pm later if okay with you.....

Yes he is loving his bike. we had a lekker long ride last Sunday. Hopefully we get to put on some good miles over the next few months....

Hi Folks

I landed in Brisbane on the 17th Feb 2013. Stayed with friends in warner, Brisbane for a month and have just moved into my new home 10 days ago.....in north Lakes. It is lovely here.....another world!

Good luck with the move and you are welcome to mail or inbox me if you need any help.

If you are in OZ and would like to get in touch, pls send me a e mail or number and I will get in touch!

I also see there a get together end of april.....hope to be attending that!

All the best!

Wendy

There's a Facebook Profile page called Perthabethans. Originally it was just for PE people in Perth, but is going Australia wide. It was set up after the Ex PE60's,70's,80's FB Group wanted to arrange reunions for ex PE folk around the world. There is also a page called South Africans from Port Elizabeth Living in Australia, but it's not very active & only has 69 members, where Perthabethans has 170. It's going to be converted into a group, so spread the word.

• 1 month later...

This thread hasn't seen much activity of late - anyone else from PE planning to emigrate?

We currently live in PE, we are in Aus as we speak, finalising details with our sponsor. Hope to be going soon! They want us here by Sept!