What is the must see in Sydney

carolientjie

Hi, my parents in law are coming the 23rd of April to "help" me with my 2 yr old and new baby, not sure how that will work out, but hoping for the best!

We have the Hornsby train station within walking distance, so they can easily get on that, but where do I send them when it get's too much?

Needs to be places which they can reach without too much confusion etc.. Don't want to lose them in Sydney :whome:

Any ideas would be appreciated, they are both in they're late 60's.

The Rocks is a nice place to go - especially during the day on a weekend - lots of little cafe's, taking a stroll through the early convict streets and around the harbour all the way to the Opera House & Botanical Gardens, the weekend markets, watching the ferries come and go, there's just so much to do and it is all in one place. Take the train to Wynyard and connect to Circular Quay or just stroll up along George Street to The Rocks - it's not far (depending on their health, offcourse...) They'll love it so much, they'll want to stay there! :ilikeit: It gives them a good overview of all the icons of Sydney too.

Closer to home, put them on a bus to Castle Towers for shopping, coffe & cake or light lunch and a movie... (Or you could even drop them off and pick them up again).

I'll think a bit more... :)

When my folks were here (mid 60's) a few years ago, they did a fabulous day trip to the Blue Mountains by train. We were living in Wahroonga at the time, so on the same Northern train line. Just make sure they take some warm clothing as it can get a little nippy up there. They could even make it an overnight stay if they wanted to. http://www.131500.com.au/tickets/explore/blue-mountains

My folks took to public transport in Sydney like ducks to water.

They can also head into the city (Wynyard to Circular Quay). From Circular Quay, take the ferry to Manly and go grab some lunch & a glass of chilled wine overlooking Manly beach followed by a leisurely stroll along the corso.

Another fabulous destination is Darling Harbour where they can go to the aquarium, wildlife world, the maritime museum, etc. A hot chocolate at the Lindt cafe is a must! You can walk down through the city from Wynyard or Museum. Alternatively (and much more fun!), they could go to Circular quay and take the ferry right up the Parramatta and then come back to their stop at Darling Harbour.

From Darling Harbour, a short walk to the Chinese Gardens and then on to Paddy's Markets and China Town. They can also take the light rail and monorail (if they're still operating when they're here).

A stroll through Hyde park from Museum station to get to the museums and then on to the botanic gardens.

If they go to the Rocks, there's also the art galleries.

Unless they're loaded, avoid that open top bus - it's hellishly expensive.

My folks bought themselves a weekly transport ticket which allowed them access to all buses, ferries and trains. Seeing as they'd only be doing this from time-to-time during their trip, a MyMulti Day Pass might suit them better: http://www.131500.com.au/tickets/explore/mymulti-day-pass

I'm not sure if they'd be elligible, but check this out: http://www.131500.com.au/tickets/explore/pensioner-excursion

They can also jump on a train and get off at Town Hall, then take the Route 555 which is the CBD Shuttle bus and is free of charge. It will take them to various interesting locations around Sydney like the QVB, Museum, China Town and Circular Quay. You can hop on and off as many times as you like on any given day - here's a link to the map: http://www.131500.co...docs/555map.pdf and more info on it: http://www.sydneybus...tle-information

My mum and her partner found it quite easy to navigate themselves through Sydney using this service. Also, with regards to Pensioner Concessions, they asked about it when boarding buses and trains but was refused concession without showing an Australian Pensioner Concession card.

Wow, loving this topic! It's giving me, a newbie, some great ideas with practical "how to" advice! Thanks!

• They could hop on the train at Hornsby change at Town Hall change to the (Eastern suburbs line) Bondi Junction. Take the bus to Bondi Beach.

• Walk from Bondi Beach to Tamarama Beach take a bus back to Central. Take the train back to Hornsby.

• Train to Milsons Point walk across the Bridge.

• Visit the Rocks Market. Details are already given of how to get to the Rocks in the above posts.

• Take the train to Wynyard change for Circular Quay and take a ferry to Taronga Zoo.

• Train it to Town Hall and then walk to China Town and Darling Harbour visit the Chinese Gardens.

• Train it to Town Hall. Take a tram from Paddies Market to the Fish Market.

• Train it to Wynyard change to Museum Station. Walk to the Museum and then onto Woolloomooloo.

• Take the train to Chatswood. Bus to Dee Why. Walk from Dee Why to North Curl Curl and have fish and chips on the pavilion.

Now THAT should keep them busy and out of your hair! Hehe :D

Thanks you guys, will defnitly create a few itinaries for them from these suggestions!

Archived