Dstv In Oz

zamunda

We are hoping to make our permanent move to Oz towards the end of the year.

We have been visiting Oz each year for the past six years and one thing we will miss is DSTV. We just can't find one network in Oz that provides a wide coverage/choice as DSTV does. Especially sports.

Am I correct in this conclusion?

Is there any way to get the DSTV signal in Oz? just curious.

No I think your conclusion may not be correct.

Have a look at Foxtel - very similar to DSTV with their sport channels, Discovery, History etc channels

I also seem to think you can choose your channels on Foxtel, rather than being forced to buy the super mega maximum delight package just to get the ones you want?

I just had a look at the DSTV channels and it seems to be on par with Foxtel. DSTV does seem to have more local is lekker channels like Soweto TV, Kyknet etc

The one thing that Foxtel doesnt have is an Mnet equivalent but the reason for this is all the quality Series are available for free on the more than 10 HD free to air public channels.

I do have Pay TV in Aus but I am less and less convinced that it is value for money. Yes if you are a sports fanatic but if not into sport, I dont know. I think Free to air which are mostly HD will be enough. The roughly $120 it costs can rent a lot of movies. And I dont mean the primitive style of driving to a video shop to get a hard copy DVD but rather the I mean online movie rentals. With the high speed internet in Aus this seems a far better option. http://www.quickflix.com.au/ http://bigpondmovies.com/ http://freezone.iinet.net.au/

If you really HAVE to have Supersport and local channels, you can always keep you sub in Botswana and access Supersport live streaming of local cricket and Currie Cup, and DSTV on demand service with all the local shows via proxy server in RSA from Aus.

Am I correct in this conclusion?

I don't think so. Foxtel is pretty much as good as DSTV - obviously doesn't show South African focused programs as DSTV does, but otherwise, the range/choice is similar and suits the demographic.

Sure, I prefer watching Supersport to Foxsports because I'm South African, but that's not to say that Supersport is better - it's just suited more to the demographic.

We dont have Foxtel and we end up recording a programme while we watch another on normal free to air channels. You get used to the shows here once you have been here awhile. Lots of people get Foxtel for the sport but they repeat so many programmes etc its not worth it. DSTV in RSA before i left got to the point where it was doing the same

I'm not even sure why we have Foxtel because I constantly have it on 9! There is always something I want to watch. But yeah I think Foxtel is pretty much on par with DSTV.... AND you get 2 free box office movies a month as well ;) In our package we do anyway.

Can anyone please give me an idea of what Foxtel will cost my hubby ( :rolleyes: the sports fan).

Can anyone please give me an idea of what Foxtel will cost my hubby ( :rolleyes: the sports fan).

It depends on the type of decoder you have and the package you select. See here for all the options and prices.

We got Foxtel for the rugby, while watching it in full HD is great I don't think the rest of the programming is all that great. The free channels are just as good

I am a cricket freak.

The problem with Foxtel is they only show some of the games. Where as Superpsorts has a dedicated channel (cricket england, cricket india, cricket australia, etc) for any game played any where in the world live. Even when the games being palyed does not have the Proteas.

The same with Rugby.

For me, DSTV's sports channels were much better than Foxtel's, but since you cannot have it in Aus you just get used to not having it and get on with life.

PS: I used to love the Sports highlights channel.

AND you get 2 free box office movies a month as well ;) In our package we do anyway.

AFAIK this was stopped on all packages more than a year ago. The two free movies fell away.

AFAIK this was stopped on all packages more than a year ago. The two free movies fell away.

Oh my word! I didn't know this, we don't always pay attention to how much foxtel is taking off our account, but I just checked and we were charged for the 2 last month. Not impressed that they just take away a service.

Archived