457 /ens /rsms Sponsorship Telecoms Tech, Electrician, Boat Builder

Deanne

Hi All

I promised myself I wouldn't put out a desperate plea for help, but here I am. With the changes in regulations coming soon, we now have only one last chance before the door closes on us.

My husband is a Telkom qualified Telecoms Technician who left Telkom in 1992. He also has his Electricians trade certificate. He has since worked as a motor cycle mechanic & electrician, done fitment and maintenance of air filtration systems, performed site locations for MTN repeaters during the initial setup o their cellular network, and has worked as a boat builder. He has built 6 catamarans of plywood and epoxy construction, as well as numerous other boat repair projects on boats of different designs.

He will be 55 in August, and although we realise his chances of finding employer sponsorship are slim due to his age, we are still hoping that someone will be willing to offer him sponsorship before the regulations change in July. He is a trustworthy, reliable person, capable of hard physical labour, as well as being analytical and good with problem solving.

If anyone is able to assist with a position he may be suited for or would like to see his CV please contact me.

Best regards

D

Hi All

I promised myself I wouldn't put out a desperate plea for help, but here I am. With the changes in regulations coming soon, we now have only one last chance before the door closes on us.

My husband is a Telkom qualified Telecoms Technician who left Telkom in 1992. He also has his Electricians trade certificate. He has since worked as a motor cycle mechanic & electrician, done fitment and maintenance of air filtration systems, performed site locations for MTN repeaters during the initial setup o their cellular network, and has worked as a boat builder. He has built 6 catamarans of plywood and epoxy construction, as well as numerous other boat repair projects on boats of different designs.

He will be 55 in August, and although we realise his chances of finding employer sponsorship are slim due to his age, we are still hoping that someone will be willing to offer him sponsorship before the regulations change in July. He is a trustworthy, reliable person, capable of hard physical labour, as well as being analytical and good with problem solving.

If anyone is able to assist with a position he may be suited for or would like to see his CV please contact me.

Best regards

D

Hi Deanne

The best way is for your Hubby to see if there is any companies there willing to sponsor him.

If there might be some then you need to move fast to get passports, IELTS tests. skill assesments and such.

Just keep on asking every body and somewhere you will find answers.

I struggled and most poeple don't like to give away the short cuts but I promised some one that I will help all I can help with free information.

I will help with information where I can.

Keep on asking!!!!

Hi Denzil

Thanks for that.

Hubby has been applying for jobs but so far only had negative responses, usually that they are looking for someone younger due to the strenuous nature of the work. He is more than capable of hard labour, having built six 38 foot catamarans alone, including instalation of plumbing and electrics.

It has also been suggested that many companies aren't willing to carry the costs of sponsoring these days, but we are willing to carry our own costs as this has already been factored into our planning.

We will keep trying and not give up...

D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi D

I'm mechanical and don't know alot about the electrical requirments

Can you husband get an a grade license in South Africa that will qualifie him to work in australia

If you could find out these details

Please let me know I know of a company that will sponsor a electrician in if he can qualify

bullet

Hi Bullet

Hubby does not have a graded licence here. In order to get a licence number he has to register with the dept of labour and he cannot do that without proof of the subjects he passed at T6 level. He hasn't been able to get this info fromTelkom and only has his diploma certificate with his final year subjects (he's a carriers transmission technician). This is the reason why he went and did his electricians trade certificate, which at least allows him to work as an electrician here but not licenced to sign off work. He would have to go back to tech full time for over 6 months to re-do the subjects he needs to get his licence, although he's already qualified. It is my understanding that he has to do the same subjects within his first year of working in Australia anyway, which he's more than willing to do, but not twice, and we can't afford for him to study full time here.

I assume this employer would want someone fully certified who can "hit the ground running"?

Thank you anyway

Please let me know if they would still consider him

D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Deanne

Here is what your husband needs to do in order to be able to work in Australia:

1: Get his skills assessed by either Vetassess or Victoria University

1.1 This entails going through a very lenghty process of interviews, technical/practical assessments etc. (This is where he needs all his certification document including where he trained, for how long, training records, Test certification etc)

1.2 If he is successful they will issue you with a Offshore Technical Skills Record

1.3 The costs for the assessment is about R25K

2. This document will allow him to get a provisional license in Australia. However he will need to complete GAP training when he gets there i.e. he he will need to be under the supervision of an Australian electrician.

3. Once he gets this provisional license THEN you will need to apply for a visa which is the GSM visa (General Skilled Migrant Visa)

4. I'm not sure exactly how much it costs but it's around the R20K mark

5. The best way is to get a sponsored visa which is the 457 Visa this will greatly reduce the costs on your side.

All of this information is on the web which I have gathered over the last year or so as I too am wanting to go to Australia however the more I look at it the more it's becoming a dream...