Business Ideas

Guest May

I would start an online business to business procurement system, but I can't sell water in the Sahara, so I would not be able to do it alone.

a Wimpy... we miss Wimpy

Personally I thought Wimpy was a good reason TO emigrate

• Like 2

As far as food goes, yes, agreed, not coffee. Wimpy coffee is good.

The 'tall black skinny americano' coffee things you get in Aus and New Zealand sounds more like you're ordering an American president than a warm caffeinated dink. :-)

I couldn't agree more! The coffee was insipid, the "burgers" were made from a wafer-thin processed meat-type substance consisting of less than zero nutritional value. The only time you could persuade me to eat at Wimpy was breakfast on a long road trip. And that wasn't anything to get excited about. The name says it all - wimpy.

But in all seriousness, I don't think Wimpy would take off here. Direct competition would be Hungry Jacks and McDonalds - you'd have to come in with serious money to throw at marketing in order to even get a foot into that market.

Coffee - yes. But you have to make exceptional coffee and be passionate about consistently producing said exceptional coffee on a daily basis. Learn your client's names, learn their coffee preference, etc. I've watched a little organic chocolate shop down the road from work become the preferred coffee shop for office workers in the area. There is another cafe which is closer but their coffee is disgusting swill served up by two surly middle aged ladies. Their clientele has steadily dwindled since the choco shop started up their coffee machine. People will patiently wait their turn and chat in the queue waiting to be served at the choco shop. One thing - you absolutely HAVE to know what you're doing when it comes to coffee - the procuring of raw beans, roasting beans, grinding and then the making. It'd be worthwhile doing a full-on barrister course even if you're planning on hiring a barrister. Done right, a good coffee shop can make you a mint. There's a little coffee shop in Sydney which roasts their own coffee beans in-house. The smell is heavenly and you are just drawn in. Done right, this could be a great thing to start up elsewhere. http://www.baycoffee.com.au.

• Like 1

Okey... should have been more specific. Wimpy breakfast and wimpy coffee. never ate a burger there, so I can't comment. but we loved to go to wimpy on the weekend, ate a breakfast while the children is playing.

I disagree about the coffee - here in Melboune every suburb has at least one cafe and most of the coffee I've tasted is delicious. Even Maccas has their own seperate coffee and cake section and is advertising that if your coffee isn't good they'll replace it.

I had a great cuppa the other day at a Donut franchise!

They love their coffee but I would think the market is saturated.

I also miss Wimpy - particularly the great service and play areas! Not many places here where you are served junk food at the table. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I would miss Steers burgers! They are my great love . Wimpy burgers not so much.

My understanding was that there was a Spur in Perth, but that it ended closing down. Could be wrong.

It's been mentioned in another spread that it's a mistake to think that because something is a success in RSA it will be a success in Australia. It also has to have appeal to Australians.

There was a recent eg about Venter trailers were it was commented that you might be able to sell a bottle of Mrs. balls for 5 times the normal price, but you can't get away with that type of behavior for a trailer. Maybe a main meal is the tipping point?

I stand corrected, a simple google search shows it as open.

The reviews aren't very complimentary though.

• 2 weeks later...

Dunay I Agree with you, and my Aussie husband cries for the Wimpy too ! More specifically the cheesegriller breakfast. If ANYONE finds cheesegrillers in AUS, PLEASE LET ME KNW !

Emile, komaan, hoe kan jy nie die Spur in Mandurah ondersteun nie ! Dis wragtig naby genoeg, en jy kan selfs die trein vat !

Dunay I Agree with you, and my Aussie husband cries for the Wimpy too ! More specifically the cheesegriller breakfast. If ANYONE finds cheesegrillers in AUS, PLEASE LET ME KNW !

Emile, komaan, hoe kan jy nie die Spur in Mandurah ondersteun nie ! Dis wragtig naby genoeg, en jy kan selfs die trein vat !

christel ek sal definitief na daai spur toe gaan (ek was in london se een en het 2 ure gery om daar uit te kom!!)

e

If ANYONE finds cheesegrillers in AUS, PLEASE LET ME KNW !

Look in your local Coles or Woolies for cheese kabanas. The only snags I buy for Saturday hotdogs. :ilikeit: Delicious on the barbie.

• 3 weeks later...

Business ideas... would have to agree with coffee, and disagree that the market is saturated. There may be lots of coffee shops, but very few GOOD coffee shops!

Also agree that it's all about quality and service- if you can position yourself above the rest, you're good to go.

One of Aus' biggest coffee franchisors was one of my clients... let's just say it's certainly a lucritive option...

• Like 1

n restaurant met n GROOT speelplek vir kinders. Jy sal permanent vol geboek wees

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the numerous posts on the forum,

I think a "Mrs Balls" factory may go down very well

I have a dream of opening a coffee shop. But not a normal one. Very different indeed.

Whats up with the Wimpy hate? That red relish is something I'll miss!!!