New In Hornsby, Sydney

carolientjie

Hi there, we just moved in today, and my husband will start working next week at the stanley street butchery, st ives. We are late 20 early 30, with an almost 2 yr old and one on the way April. We're mostly Afrikaans but speak English very delicously. Would love to make friends in the area, so let us know if you're close by. Looking forward to it!

Hi there,

My wife (NatalieV on the forum) and I recently moved to Turramurra. We arrived in Sydney in September.

You're welcome to PM me or her and we can arrange to meet up.

Cheers

Jacques

http://www.playgroupaustralia.com.au

These playgroups are a lifesaver. Check out the website and also look for signs/banners outside churches.

Dont know about Hornsby itself, but there are thousands of South Africans in St Ives, Turramurra, Wahroonga and surrounds.

We are in the Hills, but don't have small kids, so if you're looking at meeting other Saffers with smaller kids, maybe the Saffer Playgroup would be a good place to start - I posted the links on someone else's question yesterday or maybe the day before, can't remember which thread it was though (brain cells not so shanana anymore... laugh.gif), I'll try and find it...

hi Riekie, thanks I saw that. We don't neceserally only want to meet people our own age, it brings a nice diversity to know older calmer people with more wisdom, or younger more energetic people. It was nice to have Eva there telling me this too will pass when Kris goes ballastic and commits total choas!

hi Riekie, thanks I saw that. We don't neceserally only want to meet people our own age, it brings a nice diversity to know older calmer people with more wisdom, or younger more energetic people. It was nice to have Eva there telling me this too will pass when Kris goes ballastic and commits total choas!

I'm definitely older, but not so sure about calmer or wiser... laugh.giflaugh.gif I'll PM you my contact details.

Hi there

If you want to bring your toddler through to Balmoral Beach in Mosman one morning next week - it is great for swimming and easy to get to. I don't have a car yet, so if you keen I will meet you down there. I have two daughters age 6 & 9 not in school at the moment. They love the beach, and it has a small cafe for coffee and snacks.

Regards

Cathy

• 4 weeks later...

Been here since Jan...can't believe that it will almost be a year that we have been here. And what a year its been!! Renting in St Ives, close to the Stanley street butchery. Have three kids (one being an unplanned 3 month old) - anybody in the area can PM if you would like to meet - would love to meet you.

Been here since Jan...can't believe that it will almost be a year that we have been here. And what a year its been!! Renting in St Ives, close to the Stanley street butchery. Have three kids (one being an unplanned 3 month old) - anybody in the area can PM if you would like to meet - would love to meet you.

Hi Tracej,

Drop my wife (NatalieV) a PM. I'm sure she'd love to meet up. We have friends who also arrived in Jan 2011 living in St Ives so know the area well.

Cheers

J

PS...we don't have kids (yet?) and are in our late 30's.

• 2 weeks later...

Another way of possibly meeting some local mums would be to possibly join http://www.gymbaroo.com.au/ Pymble GymbaROO at

Ku-Ring-Gai Town Hall

1186 Pacific Highway

Pymble

2012 OPENING HOURS

MONDAY 9.00am to 2.30pm

TUESDAY 9.00am to 2.30pm

CONTACT

Catherine Jenetsky

0418 123 966

pymblegymbaroo@gmail.com

They also running a Holiday program so you can contact the owner Catherine for more detail

TERM 1 2012 TIMETABLE

Mon 30th Jan to Tues 3rd April

Mondays (10 weeks)

9.20 – 10.10 Penguin walkers - 18 mths

10.10 – 11.00 Koala 18 mths - 2 yrs

11.00 – 11.50 Wallaby 2 - 21/2yrs

11.50 - 12.40 Kangaroo 21/2- 3 yrs

12.40 - 1.30 Wombat mobile babies

1.30 - 2.20 Possum 3 yrs - 4 yrs

Tuesdays (10 weeks)

9.20 – 10.10 Wombat mobile babies

10.10 – 11.00 Penguin walkers – 18 mths

11.00 – 11.50 Koala 18 mths - 2 yrs

11.50 - 12.40 Wallaby 2 - 2 1/2 yrs

12.40 – 1.30 Kangaroos 2 1/2 - 3 yrs

1.30 - 2.20 Platypus babies 6 mths

or you can also look into possibly joining Kindermusik - www.jimjammusic.com.au they run classes in Gordon library and in Asquith. They are also running a holiday program.Contact the Owner Kylie on jimjammusic@bigpond.com for more details.

• 3 months later...

Thought the following 3 playtime / play groups might be of interest on the North Shore. They very popular with the local mums & Great place to meet other local mothers and make friends. You don’t need to be part of the churches to come it is open to all.

http://www.wahroonga.anglican.asn.au/ministries/monday-playtime/

St Paul’s Wahroonga

Pacific Highway & Cumberland Hwy Wahroonga NSW 2076

Monday Playtime

Monday Playtime is a ministry activity for preschool-aged children and their mums. Playtime meets in the church hall on Mondays from 9:30-11:30. This ministry seeks to encourage both parents and or mums and the preschoolers. Mrs Elizabeth Tyler coordinates this ministry.

For more details about Monday Playtime, please contact Jenny in the Parish Office on 02 9489 2863 (phone) or stpaulswah@bigpond.com (email).

http://www.stalbanslindfield.com.au/display/stalbans/Children

St Alban’s Lindfield

Address: Cnr Lindfield Avenue & Tryon Road, Lindfield

Office Hours : Tuesday to Friday 9am to 5pm

Phone: 9416-1703

Junior Explorers Playgroup

We are a new Playgroup with a science emphasis for 0-5 year olds. There will be free-play, science/craft activities, stories and songs. Morning tea is provided. Junior Explorers Playgroup will meet on Wednesdays from 9:30am - 11:30am. Please contact us for details about how to register.

Junior Jivers

Junior Jivers is musical fun for under 5's through reading, playing games, singing and moving to music. In the same environment we hope to offer parents/caregivers an enthusiastic, positive weekly encounter for their children and an opportunity for friendship and support within the St Alban's community. Junior Jivers will meet on Fridays from 10am - 11:30am. Please contact us for details about how to register

Crunch & Blast

Crunch and Blast are groups that meet on Fridays during school term. They have fun games and activities, food, craft, bible-teaching and a whole lot more.

Crunch is for children in years K-2. It happens each Friday afternoon from 3:30 - 5pm in the Upper Hall. The cost is $2 per week.

Blast is a group for children in years 3-5 at school. It happens on Fridays from 5 - 6:30pm in the Lower Hall. The cost each is $2.

http://www.stmartinskillara.org/#/kids-and-youth/playtime

St Martins Killara

9B Arnold Street Killara NSW 2071

Playtime is a morning of games, story-time, music and play for children 0-5 years in a well-equipped indoor and outdoor area. It is also a great time for mothers and carers. It is run on Wednesdays from 10am to 12 noon during State school terms in the Kindergarten Hall behind the church building. Please register your interest in joining the by calling Phone: 02 9880-2137

A typical morning is loosely divided into: outdoor play, morning tea, craft, indoor play and "group time", which includes activities like games, dancing, music and singing. Morning Tea and Coffee is provided for the adults and drinks are provided for the children. The children are given cheese, biscuits and fruit.

We all help make Playtime happen and there is a contribution of $30 for a school term per family, that goes towards the provision of toys and equipment.

• 1 month later...

Hi Carolientjie,

I just read your post and had to show some support. I am nowhere near sydney( in fact am only moving to Oz in aug- Melbourne).

However I do have two kids who have a small age gap between them. It can be a very lonely time and I can only imagine how much more tough it can be in a new country. So I think it is great that you are seeking out a social circle. Very often we are able to make friends because of our kids. This happened to me and now some of my best friends and support systems are those people I met because of my kids. My kids are now 11 and 9.

I know I may be off this topic but I had to chip to show support.

RAD