Most Popular Gym In Australia

Daniel.van.Rensburg2011

Hi Guys,

In SA the most popular Gym by far would be Virgin active. I would like to know if there is an equivalent in Oz? If not would anybody be able to recommend a good gym for weight lifting in the Nuetral bay area of Sydney?

Thanks guys

Daniel

Virgin Active here in Oz too

We've only noticed the 'Fitness First' and 'Goodlife Health Clubs' (and Curves :P) but neither have facilities on par with Virgin/Supersport/Planet Fitness IMHO.

Seems home gyms are pretty big here. Never seen such a large variety of suppliers before. But if you're seriously after a facility to do weight lifting you shouldn't battle, smaller gyms (limited cardio and plenty free weights) are quite common.

Ok cool! So you think the gym facilities over here are better than down under?

I know lots of people here. None of them are overweight, all exercise, some are fanatical about it, but I dont know a single person with a gym membership like you think of in RSA. Probably because of the absence of security issues, most people exercise outdoors. Many join groups in the parks, lots of personal trainers in parks, running groups, ocean swim groups, cycle groups,outdoor gyms in parks, etc. Also there are gyms run by the police called PCYC who have great stuff on, especially for boxing exercise. A female acquaintance, who I knew went to a boxing gym, recently showed me a video clip on her phone. It was of her and a guy, only wearing gloves/mouth guard/shorts/vests, beating the living daylights out of each other. I was quite taken aback seeing a woman take full blows in the face. By the way, she ends up winning, knocking the guy to the floor! Note to self: dont mess with her. But my point is, prepare to be surprised. Different country, different way of doing things.

Totally agree with Rozellem. Aussies are EXTREMELY active people who love exercising outdoors. Its an awesome lifestyle. If you want to train in a gym, you can, but there are so many organised sports activities, cycle paths, scenic walks to do etc. There are even free outdoor gyms to use in many of the parks. They have a whole load of machines in circuit format that use your body resistance. These would be stolen in two days in SA

As Rozellem and Springjock said, there's not much need for a gym if half our colleagues cycle to work and the other half go for a jog at lunch time... Bootcamps, Boxing and Personal Trainers in the park are very very popular!

Another thing loads of people do around here is rowing. You really need to see a satellite photo of Sydney Harbour to appreciate the length of its shore line. Many of our neighbours have kayaks they take out of the water, then there is many rowing groups you can join (the sort of Cambridge/Oxford type of rowing) and then the most interesting one for me is Dragon Boat racing. It is not uncommon to see a dragon boat going past with all the rowers being grey haired old people!

http://www.sydneytsunami.org.au/

The club above will set you back $220 per year, rowing 3 times a week.

Hey Guys thanks for all the advice! One less thing to think about!

Hi,

In Cammeray and close to Neutral Bay, all over Sydney you find RSL clubs, some of there have gym facilities around $26 every fortnight, the one in Cammeray also have squash courts (free) and annual membership is around $10 a year. Then cycling, jogging, Sydney has great beaches for swimming, snorkelling etc. Hyde park biking and horse riding and jogging. Blue Mountains great hiking routes and abseiling and North shore has climbing wall. You have so much options to keep fit. I know Virgin Active has a club in French Forest towards Manly side and as the others say kayaking and canoeing. Sign up for whatsonsydney newsletter http://www.whatsonsydney.com, if that does not keep you fit, pub crawling is another option and there are great groups to join and make friends

Cheers

Hi Daniel

I agree with everything everyone else has said about gyms and how active the Aussies are. But let me try and answer your question; the largest gym chain is Fitness First, see www.fitnessfirst.com.au. Virgin Active has opened their third gym in Sydney now and planning to open a few more over the coming years but currently they are only in certain areas of Sydney. There is a new gym chain I read about yesterday called Jetts Fitness. They came second in the fastest growing upcoming business in Aus. Apparently you don't have to sign contracts and stuff and they are open 24 hours, but check them out for more details www.jetts.com.au. there are various other chains but you should find them on Google.

Then lastly, there are various independant gyms that, if you are into weight lifting, will be as good as any other gym group. Best would be to start exploring when you arrive. Most will offer you a week or month free, go try a couple and see what you like. as with everything in Aus, the options are endless!

I quickly entered gym, Neutral Bay, NSW in google maps and came up with numerious options.

J

Archived