How To Reply To Pm?

AndreaL

Question

Hi, hopefully someone can help me.

I've received a p.m. regarding a query and would like to respond, however the message does not show up in my notifications...... does one simply reply to the email although it is sent from saaustralia forums? If I click on the link it just directs me to the home page of the forum

12 answers to this question

If you open your messages then open the message above on the right hand side and below on the right hand side is a "reply" button which will send your reply from the forum.

Have a look and see if that makes sense to you otherwise ask again.

If you open your messages then open the message above on the right hand side and below on the right hand side is a "reply" button which will send your reply from the forum.

Have a look and see if that makes sense to you otherwise ask again.

Eva, there is no message in my folders, only in my personal email. This is the second time this has happened. Their personal email address is evident at the top of the email. The message says *(&^&^% has sent you this email from http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php. But if I click on that, it just takes me top the home page of the site. I have received p.m's from other people that I can reply to, but the mail in my email is simply not in my forum message box.

So a reply shows up at my personal email address, but there is no such message in my forum mail box

You cannot reply to those messages in your personal email. You have to log in to SAAustralia and reply from there.

You cannot reply to those messages in your personal email. You have to log in to SAAustralia and reply from there.

Hi Mara

There is a message that originates from someone at saaustralia in my personal email account, however there is no such corresponding message in my saaustralia messages next to my profile pic on the top right-hand side of the page. I cannot reply to the person who kindly assisted me as there is no message there. I've used the forum p.m system for a number of years successfully....................... I'm sorry that my previous question did not articulate my problem correctly. Perhaps I need to play around with my settings and see if something needs changed, however I doubt it as I received notification of a p.m. on the forum via my personal email yesterday, and that message is in my forum messages. I'm really confused by this.

Hi AndreaL

Perhaps PM Hendie and see what he has to say. Sorry I could not help further.

Hi AndreaL

Perhaps PM Hendie and see what he has to say. Sorry I could not help further.

Thanks Mara

Luckily the message that did go to my home email has the forum members user name, so I was able to search for them and thank them for their help....... I didn't want them to just not hear from me and think I was rude. I will play around with my settings and if I can't trace the problem will PM Hendie.

Andrea, one can send another member a PM, for which you will get a notification email that someone sent you a PM, or you can send an email (your email address is not revealed unless you answer), which is what I think you got. In this case there is no PM in your forum mailbox. If you want to reply, you would have to reply to the email from your email program.

Thanks Hendie

Just to clarify, the email looks like it is from SAAustralia Forums, however when I click on the reply tab, the email address of a forum member shows up in brackets next to SAAustralia Forums. Out of interest, and for my own reference, why would someone choose to do that instead of using the traditional PM method? And how do you do that- send an email rather than a PM?

( Edited to add: Technology is wonderful, and the new lay-out and tools of the forum is great, but I really like to understand how to use those tools effectively, hence the questions)

Andrea if you go to your profile you will see that you have a setting for people to be able to e-mail you directly by clicking on the link. Whoever e-mailed you did it that way I would imagine, instead of sending you a PM. I am not sure if this is a change since the new look forum or if it is a setting you would have chosen at some point, but I suspect you must have put your e-mail address in. Mine is set as private so it can't be an automatic setting.

The e-mail then gets sent directly to your e-mail which is why there is no record of a PM because it was not a PM.

Hope that makes some sense...

Thanks Eva..... This dopes make sense. When the new look forum started I did play around with settings. I will look and change to private as PM's are much easier to reply to.

Just to clarify, the email looks like it is from SAAustralia Forums, however when I click on the reply tab, the email address of a forum member shows up in brackets next to SAAustralia Forums. Out of interest, and for my own reference, why would someone choose to do that instead of using the traditional PM method?

Not sure why the forum software doesn't set the from address to that of the forum member, it's been like that from waaaay back. The option of using email as well as PM has also been part of the forum features from the start (as well as a member being able to disable one or both methods), and it's really meant to allow a member to take a conversation off-forum, and to email only, should they so wish. Of course it is still up to you as recipient to not reply to the email (which will reveal YOUR email address to the sender).

Archived