Looking For Other South African Hairdresser In Sydney

Ingrid/ Hairdresser

Hi.I'm a hairdresser from Johannesburg.I've been in Brisbane for two and half years. Beautiful place but too quiet. I would like to move to Sydney. Been in hairdressing twenty five years. Would love to get in contact with SA hairdressers working in Sydney.Please contact me on 07 3202 6518 (h) mobile 045197 1610 Ingrid or email ingrid@renew-salon.com or hairsqd@yahoo.ca Very,very homesick.

Hi, I am a hairdresser, now working from home in Inner West Sydney. Been here 2 and a half years. BUT, I have a 17month old and is 6 months pregnant AND on the weekend I broke my ankle, so I am in a half leg cast and not allowed to do much at all. I might have met my match here....... Incidentally, I am still, after all this time in Sydney, desperately looking for someone to cut MY hair. So I might need your help. There is just so much I can do to it myself, with the occasional "help" from my IT husband. PM me if you have questions.

hi rozelle i posted a reply about an hour ago but i can't see it. anyway i'm so sorry about your ankle. Must be so difficult right now. Yes I'll definately cut your hair when I get there hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Oh.... I'm not going to re write the whole post again..I don't know why it isn't showing. But for the main part I've been in Brisbane for two and a half years. Brisbane is very small,there's nothing going here and thats why I want to move to Sydney. Hows the hairdressing there? Is it busy? What are the prices like? I've got so many questions please stay in touch. Im here with my husband Ray and son Shaun 20 and daughter Kim 18. I'll just drive down to Sydney on my own and come and work there for three months or so to look see first. I'm looking for a place to stay, a spare bedroom and bathroom etc. if you have something or know of someone. I've noticed some people rent out a bedroom in their house for about $100 a week.I would prefer to be with south africans...and give them the money anyway. At least I'll have my car so I can get around and check things out.Hope to hear from you ... or anyone else soon.

Cheers

Ingrid Tel: 07 32026518 0451971610

Hi Ingrid. I love Sydney, but then I am a city person. We have friends who are very happy in Brisbane and we go visit from time to time and have a ball when taken around by locals in the know, but I could not live there. It has the feel of a small town that just got very big. Different strokes for different folks. I cant believe you went and bought a salon, geeze you have balls. There are many, many, (too) many salons in Sydney. The street I worked on in Balmain has 10 salons, according to a quick google search, I personally think it is more. Then there are tons of people who drive around with their mobile salon information painted on their cars. Then there are many people like me doing it from home that just dont advertise. Please do your homework well before you drag the whole family over to Sydney. I have two old Aussie colleagues doing very well in Brisbane. One has a regular salon and the other a fully equipped salon at home. Cant think of their areas now, but the secret is that you have to have a history and reputation in a area. I remember when looking for employment in Sydney, the fact that I did not come with a ready client base was a stumbling block. The salons in general were not very busy, some individual stylist were, and people are very loyal. For example, a wash, cut and blowdry at the salon I worked at is $70. You could find the odd salon with their price lists on their websites. Google some. I was shocked that the going rate for a experienced hairdresser like myself (20yrs) was $19 per hour. And absolutely nobody tips. They would send me home if there was not much to do, so I earned very little and I was bored stiff. They did send me on some nice courses for free. Ironically, we came over with a PR secured through my skills, but I am very glad I dont have to be the main earner in Sydney. I now have a nice little thing going at home, on my own terms, and I buy all the professional products from a supplier here, no issues. I dont know about renting a room to stay when arriving in Sydney. Perhaps you should make a separate post asking for lodging from people. I believe there are flat share listings online. Good luck with your research.

Hi Rozelle Thanx for the info. It's helped so much especially as you have twenty years of hairdressing behind you.

I have found some furnished apartments in Bondi Junction.There are two of them. Two bed,one bath,furnished and equipped for $430 /week and the other is $480/week. Advertised on Gumtree.com.au. Considering other places were asking that,for unfurnished. That'll do for six or eight weeks or so. This time I am going to look before I leap.That's why I want to actually work in Sydney before I decide on anything.

Did you check out my website? http://renew-salon.com Just gives a bit of backround of my experience,except I won't show my employer that. Gotta go...clients in...talk soon

Hi,

Where is Brisbane are you located?

We just moved here almost 2 months ago - and can't keep up with everything that goes on here and all the possibilities of what you can do and where you can go - and it is safe :ilikeit:

But - taste differs - and circumstances - our kids are 3 and 6 and I found our area wonderful for them.

Good luck to you, I really hope you find happiness :ilikeit:

I have found some furnished apartments in Bondi Junction.There are two of them. Two bed,one bath,furnished and equipped for $430 /week and the other is $480/week. Advertised on Gumtree.com.au. Considering other places were asking that,for unfurnished.

Ingrid, those prices sound suspiciously cheap. Are you sure they dont want you to "service" clients of another sort on the side as part of your rent. Or it will be extremely run down and above a smelly fishmonger. Just be cautious.

Hee hee...No that's my salon. The salon is called Trendsetters Hair and http://renew-salon.com is my website. It's my old domain name that I just used for Trendsetters Hair for now.That's me on the video laughing around with my husband .. and my dog Paddington.Those are my kids Shaun and Kim on the page 'Redken and My Family.'

...And that's what I mean about Brisbane. I got those prices by collecting a whole lot of other salons prices and tried to get an average. I've tried to make my prices kind of fit in the middle. And people are still bitching about the price. I don't get it.I have never had clients go on so about price!! What the hell.. Maybe I'm just spoilt from my salon in Johannesburg. I used to bring in R40 000/month just on my own clients and I had four qualifieds each doing around R15 to R20 000 a month. My salon used to rock. The only difference I can see is that we had two shampooists and an apprentice always handling colors and the basin work,tea coffee cleaning etc. and my mom was my receptionist. And yes I was there for twenty years so I was established. But Brisbane is so quiet. I mean the hairdressing and I was so hoping that Sydney was more like Johannesburg. I feel like I am never going to build up. When you were working in a salon, how many clients did you do a day,say on average? It'll give me something to kind of measure against.

Hi,

Where is Brisbane are you located?

We just moved here almost 2 months ago - and can't keep up with everything that goes on here and all the possibilities of what you can do and where you can go - and it is safe :ilikeit:

But - taste differs - and circumstances - our kids are 3 and 6 and I found our area wonderful for them.

Good luck to you, I really hope you find happiness :ilikeit:

Hi Lynnie. I love Brisbane. The only thing getting me down is that I'm really struggling to build up my hairdressing clientele. Where are all the people?

I'm in Station Road Indooroopilly. My tel; 0732026518 My website has all the details http://renew-salon.com Pop in sometime . Where are you?

Hee hee...No that's my salon. The salon is called Trendsetters Hair and http://renew-salon.com is my website. It's my old domain name that I just used for Trendsetters Hair for now.That's me on the video laughing around with my husband .. and my dog Paddington.Those are my kids Shaun and Kim on the page 'Redken and My Family.'

...And that's what I mean about Brisbane. I got those prices by collecting a whole lot of other salons prices and tried to get an average. I've tried to make my prices kind of fit in the middle. And people are still bitching about the price. I don't get it.I have never had clients go on so about price!! What the hell.. Maybe I'm just spoilt from my salon in Johannesburg. I used to bring in R40 000/month just on my own clients and I had four qualifieds each doing around R15 to R20 000 a month. My salon used to rock. The only difference I can see is that we had two shampooists and an apprentice always handling colors and the basin work,tea coffee cleaning etc. and my mom was my receptionist. And yes I was there for twenty years so I was established. But Brisbane is so quiet. I mean the hairdressing and I was so hoping that Sydney was more like Johannesburg. I feel like I am never going to build up. When you were working in a salon, how many clients did you do a day,say on average? It'll give me something to kind of measure against.

Oh no sorry..you mean the apartments. Sorry I'm not concentrating trying to do two things at once. Is Bondi Junction a bad area?

There's this one http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Unit-House-Real-Estate-house-unit-apartment-rental-apartment-unit-F-Furn-STUDIO-2-min-Beach-10-UNSW-COOGEE-20-B0NDI-CITY-W0QQAdIdZ282593998 and

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Unit-House-Real-Estate-house-unit-apartment-rental-apartment-unit-Bondi-Beach-Large-Studio-Apartment-Fully-Furnished-320pw-W0QQAdIdZ284597596

or

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Unit-House-Real-Estate-house-unit-apartment-rental-apartment-unit-Bondi-nr-Junction-Tamarama-beach-1-b-r-FURNISHED-seaview-W0QQAdIdZ284655178

or

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Unit-House-Real-Estate-house-unit-apartment-rental-apartment-unit-BONDI-JUNCTION-LARGE-STUDIO-W0QQAdIdZ284537274

I can't find the others I saw yesterday

Ingrid, those prices sound suspiciously cheap. Are you sure they dont want you to "service" clients of another sort on the side as part of your rent. Or it will be extremely run down and above a smelly fishmonger. Just be cautious.

No sorry, I was referring to the very cheap, furnished accommodation you found in Bondi Junction. It sounds WAY too cheap to be anything above board in Sydney. I would be cautious. Check for bedbugs, seriously.

I did trials at 4 salons in the same area and then chose one. I dont know why they took me on, or was even advertising, as there was not enough clients to go around. They blamed it on the economy. Only occasionally did I have a full colom for the day, normally when a long standing hairdresser was on holiday. If they saw that I did not have clients for the afternoon, they would send me home, which meant even less money made. So I did a lot of cleaning shelves, reception desk, washing towels, unpacking stock..... Luckily I was only there for 9 months until I had my son.

No sorry, I was referring to the very cheap, furnished accommodation you found in Bondi Junction. It sounds WAY too cheap to be anything above board in Sydney. I would be cautious. Check for bedbugs, seriously.

I did trials at 4 salons in the same area and then chose one. I dont know why they took me on, or was even advertising, as there was not enough clients to go around. They blamed it on the economy. Only occasionally did I have a full colom for the day, normally when a long standing hairdresser was on holiday. If they saw that I did not have clients for the afternoon, they would send me home, which meant even less money made. So I did a lot of cleaning shelves, reception desk, washing towels, unpacking stock..... Luckily I was only there for 9 months until I had my son.

Oh for Petes sake, that's exactly what happened to me at the salon I worked at previously. I just can't get my head wrapped around the way they run the salons here.

Edited by squidwid

Yip, did a trail there too. Nice place, tiniest salon you have ever seen, prob 2.5 x 4m. Works with Keune. Nice English boss. If I remember correctly that start date was too far in the future for me.

Oh for Petes sake, that's exactly what happened to me at the salon I worked at previously. I just can't get my head wrapped around the way they run the salons here.

Hi there,

I could just add my 2c worth..

Me..also hairdresser in Perth..Yes,I totally agree with you about how they run the salon's here!!Omg!!Worked in 3 salons in the past year and decided to open my own salon from home....Best thing ever!!I also had my own salon in JHB,Northgate/Fourways...

It does take time to build up and also I noticed that here the people don't do they're hair as often as back home...

Good luck with trying in Sydney,keep us hairdressers posted!!

Cheers,

Erica

thanx for that Erica. I'll keep you up to date. How many clients are you managing a day?

Hi there,

I could just add my 2c worth..

Me..also hairdresser in Perth..Yes,I totally agree with you about how they run the salon's here!!Omg!!Worked in 3 salons in the past year and decided to open my own salon from home....Best thing ever!!I also had my own salon in JHB,Northgate/Fourways...

It does take time to build up and also I noticed that here the people don't do they're hair as often as back home...

Good luck with trying in Sydney,keep us hairdressers posted!!

Cheers,

Erica

Thanx for that Erica

I'll post everything that I find as I go.

How long have you been working from home and how many clients are you managing a day?

Cheers Ingrid

Yip, did a trail there too. Nice place, tiniest salon you have ever seen, prob 2.5 x 4m. Works with Keune. Nice English boss. If I remember correctly that start date was too far in the future for me.

Just off the subject. The houses in Liverpool and Blacktown are so much cheaper than Chatswood and some others I've seen. Are they good areas? I am in Bellbowrie, five minutes from Kenmore and Indooroopilly. We bought the most beautiful five bed, three bath, huge lounge, tv lounge and garden for $495 000. If we had bought in Kenmore,five minutes away, the same house would have cost at least $50 000 to $100 000 more. Is this the same thing with Liverpool and Blacktown? Are they far from Sydney City Centre? It's difficult to tell on Google maps because you can't judge traffic etc.

Just off the subject. The houses in Liverpool and Blacktown are so much cheaper than Chatswood and some others I've seen. Are they good areas? I am in Bellbowrie, five minutes from Kenmore and Indooroopilly. We bought the most beautiful five bed, three bath, huge lounge, tv lounge and garden for $495 000. If we had bought in Kenmore,five minutes away, the same house would have cost at least $50 000 to $100 000 more. Is this the same thing with Liverpool and Blacktown? Are they far from Sydney City Centre? It's difficult to tell on Google maps because you can't judge traffic etc.

Short answer, not fantastic areas and takes ages to get to the city. Rule of thumb in Sydney is, if the area looks cheap, it has a problem, either distance to anywhere or social issues or both. We live in a semi detached house and our seriously unrenovated, 2 bedroom, no parking, small patio neighbour sold two weeks ago for $856 000. But we are in a great area and it takes 15-20mins in to town on either a bus or ferry.

Short answer, not fantastic areas and takes ages to get to the city. Rule of thumb in Sydney is, if the area looks cheap, it has a problem, either distance to anywhere or social issues or both. We live in a semi detached house and our seriously unrenovated, 2 bedroom, no parking, small patio neighbour sold two weeks ago for $856 000. But we are in a great area and it takes 15-20mins in to town on either a bus or ferry.

Enough said. Thanx.

Thanx for that Erica

I'll post everything that I find as I go.

How long have you been working from home and how many clients are you managing a day?

Cheers Ingrid

Sometimes I have very busy days and some days have none.

But adding up together,it pays me the same or better then working in a salon for a boss-but working at my own leasure,half of the time and I am at home!!!

And I am still building up clientelle..I have only been here just over one year..

Ceau

Hi Lynnie. I love Brisbane. The only thing getting me down is that I'm really struggling to build up my hairdressing clientele. Where are all the people?

I'm in Station Road Indooroopilly. My tel; 0732026518 My website has all the details http://renew-salon.com Pop in sometime . Where are you?

Hi,

I am in Everton Hills - will make a plan and come see you soon!! I need a haircut :lol:

Hi,

I am in Everton Hills - will make a plan and come see you soon!! I need a haircut :lol:

Yay! Goodie. See you soon.

• 11 months later...

I've just joined a salon in Chatswood. Here's my details.The salon is right opposite Chatswood Chase Mall. Park at the mall and walk over.Easy!

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/chatswood/hairdressing/our-hair-deal-complete-hair-colour-package/1002058942

Edited by Ingrid/ Hairdresser

• 4 months later...

Opened my own salon in Killara. Pampa Parlour Hairdressing, 1F Greengate Road (opp Greengate Hotel) Killara.NSW Tel: 02 9498 1091 Trading Hours: Tues,Wed:9am - 6pm, Thurs: 9am - 6pm, Frid: 8am - 6pm, Sat: 8am - 4pm :)