Wollongong

PieterK

I've found a few posts on the forum about Wollongong, but they are all quite old, so I'm not sure whether the members that posted in those threads still live in Wollongong or not. Do any forum members still live in the 'Gong? I just need someone who would be willing to answer a few questions via pm or e-mail please.

It's a possibility, I'm meeting with the director next week to discuss the offer, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Pieter,

We're not in the 'Gong but slightly further south at Jervis Bay. Not many Saffers around here I'm afraid. I guess there will be more in Wollonggong - Kiama area.

• 2 years later...

I've found a few posts on the forum about Wollongong, but they are all quite old, so I'm not sure whether the members that posted in those threads still live in Wollongong or not. Do any forum members still live in the 'Gong? I just need someone who would be willing to answer a few questions via pm or e-mail please.

Hi PieterK

I've also been looking through the old Wollongong forum posts and I was wondering if you had any response to your post from 2011?

We left SA 5 years ago and are currently in Mackay (Queensland). My husband's work has offered him a transfer to the Wollongong branch. I have heard conflicting comments about the Gong - people either say it's stunning and they love it, or that it is a bogan town and to stay away.

I would really appreciate any advice!

Unfortunately not - I guess the 'Gong's not very popular with South Africans :P

In the end I didn't make the move either, so I can't even tell you from personal experience.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys

I may need to move over to Sydney for work in the near future. Is there a suburb or area nearby that feels rural, and is near to the city? Also, decent apartment with a nice view near to the CBD?

Hey guys

I may need to move over to Sydney for work in the near future. Is there a suburb or area nearby that feels rural, and is near to the city? Also, decent apartment with a nice view near to the CBD?

A lot will depend on where you will actually work. Sydney`s traffic is crazy, so you don`t want to live in the south if you work in the the north and vice versa. Public transport isn`t always that great either, it`s fantastic if you live walking distance from a train station but a bummer if not. I drive about 25 min max to the office in the mornings (sometimes even 15 min...) with heavy traffic but if I had to train it it would take me at least an hour (walk to bus stop, bus to train station, swop trains and lastly a walk to the office...) Finding a decent apartment with a nice view also depends on how much you are willing to spend on rent, and that depends on how many rooms, bathrooms, car spaces etc. Sydney is definitely not cheap.... Another thing is that the north is more expensive than the south. I live in the south in a two bed, one bath apartment with a balcony with a view over the park and one car space with rent @ $470 p/w. I have family that lives in the north in a two bedder, one bath, living area and kitchen way smaller than mine, one car space and no balcony with rent @ $545 p/w.

Edited by Spicegold

• 1 month later...

Madmother, we are just north of Wollongong in Stanwell Park. Don't know of 'The Gong' its self but from here it only a 20-30min drive.

The North Illawarra coast is great in my personal view. Lovely little communities and every body I have met has been super friendly and helpful.

We decided to live here as Stanwell Park has a great Primary school and my son absolutely loves it. However we viewed schools around here and all were awesome.

If you head to Helensburgh you can get an express train to Wollongong from there. However stations between Helensburgh and Thirroul are slow trains and not as often.

Feel free to give me a shout if you have any further questions.

• Like 1