ACS assessments

Dedrei

Hi All

Anyone that applied with an IT Diploma?

I saw ACS is presenting a diploma, and the one I did seem to be on par with the one form ACS. Will my diploma and 9 years experiance in IT be enough?

Riaan

Riaan,

You need to check if your IT diploma is equivalent to an Australian IT diploma. If yes, then you need to ensure that you have at least 6 years of professional IT experience - this must be at a professional level as defined by the ACS.

If you can answer "yes" to both these questions, then you will be okay.

Peter

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cramer

• JacquesV

• Stranded

• PieterK

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Riaan,

You need to check if your IT diploma is equivalent to an Australian IT diploma. If yes, then you need to ensure that you have at least 6 years of professional IT experience - this must be at a professional level as defined by the ACS.

If you can answer "yes" to both these questions, then you will be okay.

Peter

Thanks Peter

Could you perhaps point me in the right direction regarding this "checking"?

I did my Diploma at R.A.U. in 2001 and at that stage they reckoned it is internationally accepted.

Riaan

Could you perhaps point me in the right direction regarding this "checking"?

I did my Diploma at R.A.U. in 2001 and at that stage they reckoned it is internationally accepted.

Riaan,

This involves specific advice, and if you go to my website (see my profile) you will see that I provide an initial assessment service, but it has a token fee associated with it. This is because I specialize in ACS/RPL/IT cases, even up to responses to DIAC on work experience related to IT occupations.

However, I also understand there are agents who provide free initial assessments, so alternatively, you may want to consult them initially.

Peter

Hi Julle

Ons probeer uit vind of manlief se MCSE NT4 en ander certifikate en 12 jaar ondervinding genoeg is om dan net so aansoek te doen vir die ACS se skills assessment of moet hy die RPL roete volg ????

Sal julle raad baie waardeer. :):D:)

Groete

Aniena en shark-know

Hi Julle

Ons probeer uit vind of manlief se MCSE NT4 en ander certifikate en 12 jaar ondervinding genoeg is om dan net so aansoek te doen vir die ACS se skills assessment of moet hy die RPL roete volg ????

Sal julle raad baie waardeer. :):(:ilikeit:

Groete

Aniena en shark-know

Hi there,

If this is a question, and if you or someone else can translate that to English, I may be able to help?

Peter

We will apreciate it if you could answer this question:

Does my husband need to do a RPL or can he only fill in the forms for skill assessment at ACS?. He has MCSE NT4 and other certificstion with 12 working years of experience in IT. He also has a BA degree that is not IT related.

We have read an post where a IT person without a degree has submitted his skill assesment with a MCSE and got a positive assesment. However on quering ASC they did not want to comment on this, as they will deal with every case on individual basis.

My hubby feels he has the required experience and would rather do the skill assesment route which is much quicker. The only issue is that if they do not accept it, he has only one chance for a possitive assesmnet on RPL. Apparently you get two chances.

We will apreciate it if you could answer this question:

Does my husband need to do a RPL or can he only fill in the forms for skill assessment at ACS?. He has MCSE NT4 and other certificstion with 12 working years of experience in IT. He also has a BA degree that is not IT related.

We have read an post where a IT person without a degree has submitted his skill assesment with a MCSE and got a positive assesment. However on quering ASC they did not want to comment on this, as they will deal with every case on individual basis.

My hubby feels he has the required experience and would rather do the skill assesment route which is much quicker. The only issue is that if they do not accept it, he has only one chance for a possitive assesmnet on RPL. Apparently you get two chances.

Why only two chances? I don't think there's a limit to how many times you can try for RPL or ACS.

If your husband has MCSE, he'll be classified as Group B.

If you want to be sure and want an agent to look through his CV and eligibility for a positive skills assessment, my initial assessment service is available at: http://www.ptlabs.com.au/assessment.html

Peter

HI

JUST CHECKING IF ANYONE HAS DONE THE ASSESSMENT WITH AIM AND IF THEY HAVE THEY DOCS TO SHARE WITH ME.

quote name='Dedrei' date='Feb 13 2007, 10:50 AM' post='23618']

Here is a list of skills assessment bodies for various occupations.

Please post your questions in these threads so that we can keep it all together and so that it doesn't get difficult finding info about your assessment.

If you are not sure what assessing authority is applicable for your occupation have a look here

Click on the links below for each thread

TRA Support Group

ACS Support Group

Accountants Support Group

VETASSESS Group

Engineers Group

Please let me know if you would like an additional support group opened if your occupation is not any of the above.

Hi Peter

Thank you for the information. <_< I will follw option B and if I require further help I will most definitely make use of your services.

On the acs site it states dat you are only allowed to apeal once. Am I misreading this ..? :P

Regards

Aniena and shark-know

On the acs site it states dat you are only allowed to apeal once. Am I misreading this ..? <_<

I wouldn't know about the practicalities of appealing since I've never had to lodge an appeal for any client yet :P

Peter

Hi

I really need some help with deciding which code to use for my application. I was an ERP programmer for about 3.5 years, but for the last 2 years I have been doing system analysis work and process re-engineering.

I am worried that I will submit on the wrong code and have my application rejected - thus wasting a lot of money.

Other than this problem my application should be straight forward, as I have a computer science degree.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thank you!

Hi

I really need some help with deciding which code to use for my application. I was an ERP programmer for about 3.5 years, but for the last 2 years I have been doing system analysis work and process re-engineering.

I am worried that I will submit on the wrong code and have my application rejected - thus wasting a lot of money.

Other than this problem my application should be straight forward, as I have a computer science degree.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thank you!

Nikki

Submitting a wrong code won't result in a refusal by the ACS, if you meet the requirements otherwise, you'll simply be reassigned a more suitable code.

If you want a professional opinion from someone who specializes in ACS assessments, I'm happy to give you one if you send your CV and details to me for an initial assessment: http://www.ptlabs.com.au/assessment.html

If not, then all the best.

Peter

Thanks for the reassurance Peter. At least I wont have to resubmit if I get it wrong.

I will contact you if I don't come right with the application.

Thank u,

Nikki

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All!

I am also busy getting my documentation ready to submit my ACS application.

I'm planning on going the 'normal' route (not RPL), as I consider my degree as an IT-Degree.

I have an BSc majoring in Information Systems, and is an Oracle Analyst Programmer with 8 yrs experience in this field (9 yrs total IT).

One of my concerns at this stage is that the Academic Record I receive only states:

Computer Science 101

Information Systems 101

Computer Science 201

Information Systems 201

Information Systems 301

... etc.

Do you think it is necessary to provide documentary evidence with more details on these modules, such as:

Operating systems & Architecture, Applied programming, Programming: Data structures (C++), etc.

with yearbook copies or something?

Any comments?

Thanks,

Alet

Hi Alet

Ons werk deur 'n agent en moet die omskrywings van die jaarboeke saam inhandig.

JV

Has anybody else been waiting for what seems like forever for their ACS Skills Assessment (RPL)

Ack from ACS 21 Feb 2007, changed to In progress on 2 April and hasn't changed since.

I don't know and am sure my situation wont be unique.

I had a relatively "ugly fallout" with a company (4 people in total) I did contract work for just over 3 years ago. It went as far as me threatening to take him to court if he did not pay me monies owed. Some harsh words were exchanged over that period from both sides :huh:

I'm hesitant to put the company/owner down as a reference in my CV due to the very negative outcome of that contract. (It was a 5 month contract.)

I guess my question is how do I go about listing that period of work and potentially explaining the negative relationship I had/have with that company/owner?

I don't want to lie about "not working" there. I thought of saying I was self employed for that period but don't want anything biting me in the 'bums' and jeopardizing my chances of getting a visa. :D

Ciao ciao

Jacques

I don't know and am sure my situation wont be unique.

I had a relatively "ugly fallout" with a company (4 people in total) I did contract work for just over 3 years ago. It went as far as me threatening to take him to court if he did not pay me monies owed. Some harsh words were exchanged over that period from both sides :holy:

I'm hesitant to put the company/owner down as a reference in my CV due to the very negative outcome of that contract. (It was a 5 month contract.)

I guess my question is how do I go about listing that period of work and potentially explaining the negative relationship I had/have with that company/owner?

I don't want to lie about "not working" there. I thought of saying I was self employed for that period but don't want anything biting me in the 'bums' and jeopardizing my chances of getting a visa. :P

Jacques

Are you talking about applying for a skills assessment or visa application?

Peter

Jacques

Are you talking about applying for a skills assessment or visa application?

Peter

Hi Peter,

I'm referring to skills assessment. I haven't done much homework, as of yet, into the visa application and therefore assume by your reply that it would be applicable there as well?

Regards

Jacques

Edited by Jacques & Natz

I'm referring to skills assessment. I haven't done much homework, as of yet, into the visa application and therefore assume by your reply that it would be applicable there as well?

It'll depend on your specific circumstances - do you need the few months' experience to meet the required number of years of professional IT experience? That's the main question to be addressed, really.

I would get professional preliminary advice on this - and if possble, get advice from an agent who is IT aware. I just had someone come to me after being given shocking advice by an unregistered agent who is clueless in ACS assessments.

If you're interested, you're welcome to use my initial assessment service (please see my profile for my website).

Peter

Peter

I am preparing for the RPL application with ACS. You mentioned a few threads ago that CISSP is taken on face value. Does that mean that you dont have to do a RPL ?

The concerns that I have are:

I have a CISSP (and a CISA) and have 8 and a half years IT audit experience with no formal degree. But looking at the ACS webpage and particularly the CBOK, IT audit does not fit very well into many of the catagories (In an nutshell the CBOK is focussed on technical / programming / adminitstrator skills rather than IT risks / Governance and Regulatory Controls design and implementation that are IT audit related skills. I suppose my real question is, should ACS be the assessors for IT audit skills? or do they consider your experience and assess you on the actual job description as opposed to the CBOK standards - being IT audit as opposed to technical IT.

Perhaps you could give me your details and I could have you do an assesment of my chances.

Thanx

A

Perhaps you could give me your details and I could have you do an assesment of my chances.

Just for the benefit of others reading this thread:

My initial assessment form can be found here: http://www.ptlabs.com.au/assessment.html

I don't read this forum as regularly as before, as I get the sense that the majority of members here think that migration agents are just blood suckers and not worth their salt. Hopefully those who have read my FAQs would think that I'm a little more useful than that.

Peter

Hi

Hubby is busy completing all the documents for his acs assessment.

There is just one thing we would like to know. How did you ask your previous employers for the reference letters, in order to get all the relevant information? Did you construct a template or a form or anything like that?

Acs says they need info on this letters regarding all the hardware, software and languages used as well as the competence level of it. Hubby says that his bosses will not remember all this detail ? What to do?

We don't want to add anything that is untrue we just want to make sure the reference letters is complete and accurate the first time. In previous posts people were complaining about incomplete reference letters. We are in a hurry to get things done. So how did you get it right? :huh:

Regards

Aniena and Heino

Hi

What I did was write the reference letter my self with all the information ACS required and then gave to the employer to put on a letterhead and print.

This way I did not have a reference letter that was not correct, most employers wont have a problem with this as it saves them time, and you get what you asked for.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Rudi