Sydney MyTrain advice needed

SAman4Aus

I would like some feedback please, from you seasoned Sydney people.

I am moving to Sydney in July and will stay in Milson point for the first 4 weeks. I will need to do plenty of train travel in the first 4 weeks to check out all the suburbs so I can decide where we want to live. I dont think I will need to venture further than Hornsby in the north, to the CBD and as far as Engadine in the South often as I explore different areas.

I am thinking of getting a 28 day travel pass but now it looks like the 28 day MyTrain3 is bewteen 2 stations only e.g. Hornsby to Central. Does this mean I can only use the ticket for that route? What if I want to go from Milson point to Engadine, will the MyTrain3 work then?

What are my options? I have been to the rail site (http://www.131500.com.au) but cant seem to find the answer.

There is a MyMulti pass for bus, train and ferry but I am sure I'll be using the train only for the first 4 weeks.

I would strongly suggest that you rather rent a car. Bayswater Car Rental is by far the cheapest (www.nobirds.com.au). You can rent a Toyota Corolla for $20 per day. It is much easier to explore the suburbs by car especially if you start visiting rental houses.

Are you planning on only looking at places that are close to train stations? If not, then I would second hiring a car (if you are planning on buying one anyway). But if you are going to be dependant on public transport for a while I suggest just getting the MyMulti3. At least you will then be able to do some sight seeing if you want to and not have to worry about forking out extra cash for ferries and busses as well.

. . .

I am thinking of getting a 28 day travel pass but now it looks like the 28 day MyTrain3 is bewteen 2 stations only e.g. Hornsby to Central. Does this mean I can only use the ticket for that route? What if I want to go from Milson point to Engadine, will the MyTrain3 work then?

What are my options? I have been to the rail site (http://www.131500.com.au) but cant seem to find the answer.

There is a MyMulti pass for bus, train and ferry but I am sure I'll be using the train only for the first 4 weeks.

MyTrain tickets are for a particular route. If you got 28 day MyTrain Hornsby to Engadine ticket it would have to be a MyTrain4 - $188. You could use it to travel from Hornsby to Milsons Point, and also from Milsons Point to Engadine, but you could not travel from say Milsons Point to Parramatta (because Milsons Point is on the shortest route from Hornsby to Engadine, but Parramatta is not).

As Sanzoz said, a MyMulti ticket would be a better option. For only four dollars more ($192) you could get a 28 day MyMulti2 which includes trains out to Hornsby in the north, Engadine in the south and Seven Hills in the west, as well as most buses and ferries.

And I stand to be corrected on this but as far as I know it also includes the private buses, which the old travelpasses never did. I used to have to wait for the 136 bus to Frenchs Forest (while a whole stack of Forestway buses came and went) but now apparently you can grab one of the Forestway buses, which is awesome.

Archived