Cats in Sydney

LiezelM

Hi Everyone

Well, I got a job in Sydney, and we'll be moving there in AApril. OUr 3 cats are going end of March or beginning of April, and I've spoken to Aqis.

Dedrei brought something to my attention though, and I can't find anything on Google. Are there any restrictions on how many cats you are allowed to keep at a house in Sydney? Aqis didn't seem to have a problem with me bringing in 3 cats, but I just want to double check..

Please help!

Thanks

Liezel

Hi Liezel

I cannot tell you the specifics for Sydney, but I am sure it would be pretty similar to Melbourne.

Generally the accepted number is two. If you wish to keep more than this you have to apply to your local council for exemption. In our area, the council then canvassed the neighbours and they had to give their permission. (Our neighbour wanted to keep three dogs)

So I think a lot is going to depend on where you are going to live and what the rules by the council for that area would be.

We had problems getting rental properties, as people do not really want animals in their rentals. I got past this by offering to put down a bigger deposit, which was waived, and offering to sign a contract that I would repair anything, including replacing carpets, if the cats did any damage, this was accepted. I have two purebred Balinese (long haired Siamese).

In Melbourne, if your cats are deemed a nuisance to your neighbours you can be fined, I think it is around $150. I am not sure how they are going to prove that it is yours, I presume they will have to catch them first. We do not have that problem, ours are inside cats who only venture outside when they are accompanied by a human.

I would try and PM Riekie, perhaps she can give you the council websites of some of the more popular areas, to check out for their rules regarding cats.

Thanks Mara! I've had a look at some websites and there doesn't seem to be any specific rules.

We're going to stay with my Mother in Law for the first while in Dural, and luckily the owner of her house has no objections to having cats :unsure: In fact, she has a cat flap in the one door :ilikeit:

Unfortunately our ginger kitty has been missing for 2 nights now, I'm worried sick. He is a bit of a wanderer, but after 2 nights I worry, hold thumbs for me that he's coming back please :whome:

Have a good weekend - thanks for the advice :blink:

Cherio

Liezel

I am holding thumbs for you! That is one of the reasons why my two are inside cats.....I know where they are!

Yay! He came back this afternoon :ilikeit:

Mara, I think you have the best arrangement with your kitties :blink:

It's a definite! No limitations on the number of cats <_<

Thanks for your help girls :whome:

Give him a stern talking to! I am glad he is back.

• 3 months later...

Being an older thread, I hope you will read this. What ever you do don't tell the realestate people you got 3 cats. You won't get it. We have lived in a unit/flat with 3 very happy cats for 6 years, but now live in a rental house with 2 dogs & 6 cats. Agents think we got 1 dog & 1 cat, when we have inspection we just put them in carriers,bundle them into the car and go for a drive. Making sure its the same cat/dog as the last time. Yes I know we need a farm for that many animals and yes we got one, just need a house on it. :)