Where to stay when first arriving

shenku

Hi all,

So, we are shortly going to be the newset residents of Sydney - woo!

We are very exited (and a little nervous) but mostly positive!

We just have one question, when we arrive in Sydney, where is a good cheap place to stay? We are a young couple and don't really know anyone in Sydney that we feel comfortable imposing on.

Any ideas? I have found one or two self catering places, but they still seem quite pricey? :S

Thanks in advance!

Depends on where in Sydney you're heading: CBD, suburbs, North, South, East, West...?

How willing are you to give up a few luxuries? Most caravan parks offer cabins for cheap (generally around $700 per week, which is not too bad) and have even better rates if you book a long term stay. Backpacker hostels are also an option - some offer private rooms with a double bed and even en-suite facilities (not all of them though, so you'll have to check). Average price per night is $13 for a bed in a dorm and $25 for a private room.

If you Google hotels in Sydney, you'll only find the expensive ones. Try websites such as tripadvisor and stay where the budget travellers stay. I found quite a few for under $100 and even as low as $54.

I all else fails, rent a house or apartment and "camp" there until your container arrives... (Many have done that and although uncomfortable and not ideal, looking back, it's part of the experience and the stories you'll tell your grandchildren... :ilikeit: )

Try the Waldorf Apartments, Chippendale, close to the CBD.

Hi Shenku

Try this website " www.totaltravel.com

Gives options all over Australia, just select your state and then Sydney, some apartments from as little as $65-00 per day, we are currently in the process of renting a fully furnished 3 bedroom house in Melbourne with all mod cons and internet for $ 100-00 per day

We are on our way to Melbourne in July 2010 :thumbdown:

I am sure you will find something, if you have a problem on the website send me a pm

Willie

Hi Shenku

Try this website " www.totaltravel.com

Gives options all over Australia, just select your state and then Sydney, some apartments from as little as $65-00 per day, we are currently in the process of renting a fully furnished 3 bedroom house in Melbourne with all mod cons and internet for $ 100-00 per day

We are on our way to Melbourne in July 2010 :lol:

I am sure you will find something, if you have a problem on the website send me a pm

Willie

Sounds exactly like what I am looking for. Thanks!

Hi Shenku

We have recently stayed in a cabin at the Lane Cove National Park for two weeks until we found a rental in the area that we wanted to stay. It was very convenient, walking distance (10min) to North Ryde train station and has a pool, laundry facilities, internet facilities, and reasonabily priced. Very neat and clean in a park-like environment.

Good luck

gh

Archived