Time for a get together?

danianna

Hey Forumites...

Looking at the last posts in this area - looks like there hasnt been much going on recently in Adelaide!

But, isn't this time of the year brilliant? So much going on!

We all went to the amazing fireworks display on Saturday night - certainly the best I have ever seen. Very impressive.. :ilikeit:

And who could possibly miss the Caravan and Camping show!!( just to mention a couple of events)

Now this doesnt often happen in life - but as we were walking into the show on Sunday afternoon, a woman walked up and gave us a couple of free passes to get in. :ilikeit: I was really shocked that anyone would even do this!

So we go to spend the day marvelling at those incredible caravans.. I see now why people here become Grey Nomads! :)

Although there is so much going on at the moment in Adelaide - how about a get together? Maybe somewhere like Rymill Park or any other suggestions would be good!? A bring and braai? - Somewhere where the kids can play and adults can meet up and have a laugh.

What do you all reckon? Good idea or bad?

Anna

:)

Fantastic idea! Hope you get lots of responses! (We're in Sydney, so won't make it... :ilikeit: )

For all the newcomers to Adelaide, it would be a great idea and a good way to "network" with others.

The old favourite seems to be Belair National Park, but I can think of Morialta Park also.

What are the ideas of any other new folk and not-so-new folk to Adelaide??

Hi Anna

Where is the camping and caravan show? I am sure my son will enjoy that. I also wanted to go to the fireworks, but I went into town too early and my son did not want to stay longer, so we missed it.

I would love the idea of a get together.

Some South Africans get together in Brighton on a Friday after 5, but I have not been able to make it yet.

Andrea

Yeah, there's a fair bit of stuff happening in Adelaide around this time of the year

I got to go to the "Adelaide Fringe" for the first time . . . . daughter took my wife, so my wife dragged me along another day!

The "Fringe" is still happening for another week or two.

We went along to the "Garden of UnEarthly Delights" where all sorts of stalls were selling curios, etc. Us silly old farts let our hair down by drinking a cider (Bulmer's, no less!) and sitting in a little dodgem car (there were 5 dotted around outside the bar). A kid alongside challenged us to a race, so that set us both off, wife driving, swerving from side to side, until we declared the kid a winner by claiming we had a flat tyre! Great fun . . . and no-one minds in Australia!

They are also setting up the seats and stadium for the "Clipsal 500 Grand Prix" which happens very soon.

Unfortunately, the Adelaide Caravan & Camping Show has ended (this Sunday).

It's only on once a year, so I think you're up for a 12 month wait.

If you're desperate for a show of that kind, they do the capital cities, so look out for the caravan & camping show to get to Melbourne some time this year.

My wife and I went and we've now got a few bits and pieces to get before we trek off in our caravan, which we're living in at the moment up in the Adelaide Hills.

An annexe would double our living area while we're on the road and staying in a spot for a few days.

Anyhow . . . I digress.

I don't think that a Friday night after 5 down at the beach in Brighton would work for a lot of folk, dotted as they are all over Adelaide. It sounds more of a private affair that they may not want "gate crashed" by others rocking up.

So . . . at this stage, shall we go for Morialta Park, unless someone really prefers otherwise??

I've seen Koalas dozing away in the trees at Mroialta. You need to look hard for them, as they blend in pretty well with the grey trunks of the trees.

Morialta has three waterfalls . . . not that they would be flowing much, if at all, at the end of summertime, but the walk is well worth it.

You can do whatever stage you like, with Waterfall 1 taking only about 30 mins there and back from the entrance to the Park.

Stage 2 takes about an hour there and back, whilst Stage 3 would take a couple of hours, from memory.

If an event were to be organised this month (March), you could still pretty well guarantee good weather, dry and little wind.

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/san...alta/index.html

Are you lot still interested?

signed,

"very much a Grey Nomad"

Morialta Park sounds like a good idea!

We havent been there - although its close by.. is there a play ground for kids? We have 2, aged 7 and 9.

So would be good to have some families who have young kids come along too. Anyone else? New and old in Adl!?

:wacko:

Brighton would be muchto far for us to go on a friday night!

A Saturday afternoon would probably be the best time too. Thoughts?

hi anna-marie

Yes, we'll be keen so count us in. Be nice to catch up.

Although, it had better warm up. I'm not enjoying this wind and cold........

cheers

Debbie

hi anna-marie

Yes, we'll be keen so count us in. Be nice to catch up.

Although, it had better warm up. I'm not enjoying this wind and cold........

cheers

Debbie

Hi deb,

Good to see you on here :) Sounds great.. would be good to catch up. :wacko:

I have just been talking to a Kenyan woman I work with and she tells me the kenyans/Swahili society in Adl is really strong.. they stick together and help eachother out - (strength in numbers)! They get together fortnightly, and just enjoy. As long as people leave their political issues at home - I dont see why not!

Why cant South Africans in ADL do the same? I am pretty sure if we all knew who had what business, we would rather support eachother than have to get Aussie companies to do stuff like building/ electrical/ plumbing - what ever services we can all offer!?

A get together would be fun! :lol:

Hi deb,

Good to see you on here :) Sounds great.. would be good to catch up. :lol:

I have just been talking to a Kenyan woman I work with and she tells me the kenyans/Swahili society in Adl is really strong.. they stick together and help eachother out - (strength in numbers)! They get together fortnightly, and just enjoy. As long as people leave their political issues at home - I dont see why not!

Why cant South Africans in ADL do the same? I am pretty sure if we all knew who had what business, we would rather support eachother than have to get Aussie companies to do stuff like building/ electrical/ plumbing - what ever services we can all offer!?

A get together would be fun! :D

I have been wondering the same for a while. . . . . . why don't South Africans, new to Adelaide, network themselves in a more co-ordinated fashion, so that they can buy and produce goods and services from each other before sourcing out to the wider Australian community??

I know it sounds a bit "anti Australian", but South Africans coming to Adelaide need a boost up economically, and when are doing sufficiently well, then they blend in with the Australians and its infrastructure as dynamics take hold.

A reference of South African businesses in Adelaide would be a good thing to compile, so that business can be done quietly between them more.

I don't know if it's already been done or not, but it would help the South African community here to get more business going, don't you think??

Maybe this can be another post so that it doesn't detract from a get-together on this post?

:D Phew!! So glad you agree with me on this Bob! I personally think it would be really good to compile a list like this!! Or get to know who does what and support eachother more! :lol:

But yes you're right - As we were saying........... what about this get together people!?

Any other newbies/not so newbies out there that would like to join in? B)

:):)

Just let me know date and time and we should make it

:D Phew!! So glad you agree with me on this Bob! I personally think it would be really good to compile a list like this!! Or get to know who does what and support eachother more! :lol:

But yes you're right - As we were saying........... what about this get together people!?

Any other newbies/not so newbies out there that would like to join in? B)

:):)

We in Adelaide from the 5th to 13th April - would love to join if over that time...

Morialta's entrance is right opposite my wifes work. Drive there every morning, listening to the birds, looking at the trees, take in the peace and tranquility. At certain places you can see the sea while driving, and I'm sure that if you walk up Morialta it will be breathtaking. Heng, this is life! Hoe lekker!

Just next to it is Black Hill, (closer to Athelstone, same road). Seen some koalas here.

Sure a get together will be nice. I will scout the area on Sunday and will let you know. Then we need a date.......

We in Adelaide from the 5th to 13th April - would love to join if over that time...

Hi,

We are in Adelaide from the 21 March - 02 April. If the get together happens to be during this time, we will definitely be keen!

15 days until we see Adelaide for the 1st time!!!

So Morialta Park it is then! :)

Now how about setting a date people? Will be hard to do it when both Dale and Numbawun are around - so might have to do it regularly :unsure: Sounds good to me!

My suggestion is the 27th March - :whome: at least by then Dale would have time to get over the jet lag and would have had some time to look around. (hopefully the weather will be good that weekend )

:unsure::whome:

Sure a get together will be nice. I will scout the area on Sunday and will let you know. Then we need a date.......

Been there this weekend. 3 carparks (2 free, 1 pay) small playground, lots of trees, bences, lapas and then you can walk around the whole area. Perfect for a pinic, barbie.

Will we make it the 27th as Danianna sugested?

Been there this weekend. 3 carparks (2 free, 1 pay) small playground, lots of trees, bences, lapas and then you can walk around the whole area. Perfect for a pinic, barbie.

We will be there, 3 adults and 2 children.

So is it a good place for the kids to bring their bikes or scooters too Herman?

How about we all just bring and braai?! That way there is no pressure on anyone :)

So is it a good place for the kids to bring their bikes or scooters too Herman?

The walking area is up the mountain.

So . . . . 27th it is!

Yup, you can being the kids' bikes, scooters, frisbees, etc.

There is a road into the start of the tracks leading to the waterfalls in Morialta Park, for the kids to do their own thing on their bikes, scooters, but you need to remember that vehicles use this, even though they're required to drive slowly in the Park.

Daylight Saving Time finishes the first weekend in April, so leaving it any later than 27th March might mean you go home at sunset (6pm) instead of the sun still being up at 7:20pm, say.

By the way . . . . what's a "lapa"????

Ohh nooo.. I dont like it when the days get darker so early..

Excellent.. Sounds like a good spot to me.

Will meet under the 'Lapa' closest the kids playground :blink: (see attached picture ;) )

What time??

post-14072-1268114871.jpg

The lapa at Mariolta has a slightly diffrent roof but I'm sure Bob got the picture. Bob a new afrikaans word for you: lapa

Excellent.. Sounds like a good spot to me.

Will meet under the 'Lapa' closest the kids playground :whome: (see attached picture :whome: )

What time??

The lapa at Mariolta has a slightly diffrent roof but I'm sure Bob got the picture. Bob a new afrikaans word for you: lapa

Hi guys,

We arriving in Adelaide on the 21st March too. Can we join

Pat & Haze (& kids)

Hi guys,

We arriving in Adelaide on the 21st March too. Can we join

Pat & Haze (& kids)

Absaloutely :blush: The more the merrier!! :ilikeit:

We just havent come up with a time yet..

Any one want to suggest? :)

Archived