Parents Visa

rene321

I was woundering if anyone has had any experience in getting their parents into Australia. I hear that it is very expensive to do $34,330 per a person just for medicare and takes 18 months. My parents do not hav this kind of money.

Any suggestions?

Rene

I can't remember seeing it that expensive. I think it depends on whether the parents will be a liability to the country. ie healthcare etc. There should be much more info at the immi site.

I was woundering if anyone has had any experience in getting their parents into Australia. I hear that it is very expensive to do $34,330 per a person just for medicare and takes 18 months. My parents do not hav this kind of money.

Any suggestions?

Rene

We were investigating the options for my mother in law a few months back - see the immi website for details. There are 2 parent visa types. The one type lets you take a number and stand in the looong queue. Takes a couple of years to process as only a limited number of parent visas are made available each year. The other visa type has a (much) shorter queue but requires an additional lodgement fee of $30,000. Both visa types require that the parents pass the "balance of family" test. MIL does not have 50% of her children in Oz, so she cannot apply for either visas.

Good luck

Tex

Hi Rene123, I hope you don't mind me butting in here ... and perhaps someone can provide advice?

My parents are over 65 and I know if they apply for the looooong visa, which is cheaper, this can be done while they are in OZ. As I understand it, this means they can remain in OZ for as long as it takes to grant the Aged Parent Visa (be it 7 - 10 years). During this time, they can take out private medical insurance. What I would like to know is, while waiting, could they simultaneously take out a bridging visa, which might allow them to work, for example?

I understand your concern and I also worry about my parents remaining behind.

Thank you for any advice.

I've done quite a lot of research on this, as we're in the process of getting 864 (contributory aged parent) for my mom.

Start here for all the information about the different categories of parent visas: http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/fam...isas-parent.htm

And the costs are listed here: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/parent.htm (These increase each July - eg this year the first installment for the 864 went up about $400 and the second by about $2000)

On top of this, for the contributory visas there is also a bond of $10k that is lodged with centrelink for ten years. They pay you the interest while it is there. (It also costs $150 to open that account with commonwealth!)

Apparently the waiting list for contributory (more expensive) visas is 1 to 2 years and about ten for the others, There's also an option to apply for a temporary contributory visa and then a permanent one, which allows you to spread the costs over 2 years. The disadvantage of that one, we felt, was that it was 2 years more til we get our bond back and before Mom can get a pension from centrelink.

All parent visas, as far as I know, are subject to the balance of family test. If your parent/s meet the age requirements for an aged parent, they may be able to apply onshore and remain in Australia while the visa is being processed. This is what Mum did; as soon as her tourist visa expired she was automatically granted a bridging visa which allows her to remain in Australia. (She is on overseas visitor private health insurance, which costs $178 a month from medibank). If she needed to leave the country she would have to apply for another kind of bridging visa to allow that.

Something important to know if your parent/s are considering applying for PR while in Australia is that this is only possible if the visa they came over on had no 'no further stay clause'

Hope that helps!

Edited by Nessa

Thank you for this info it has been great.

Just a quick one on the bond - is this a physical payment of 10K or what?

Thanks

Nats

Thank you for this info it has been great.

Just a quick one on the bond - is this a physical payment of 10K or what?

Thanks

Nats

You're welcome Nats. The Assurance of Support bond is managed by centrelink, completely separate from the fees you pay DIAC. Your case officer will tell you when you need to apply for Assurance of Support. You have to make an appointment and go to centrelink (the one in Abbotsford for Melbourne) and have an "interview", which is just to check that you earn enough to be an Assurer (this varies depending on how many people you are assuring and whether you have dependent children, etc, but it's not a lot, eg 25K a year in our case!!). Then they give you a letter saying you are approved and you have to make another appointment to go to commonwealth bank (any branch) and open up a special account for the bond. There is a 150 fee for this! What they didn't tell us was that the bond actually gets paid before they even grant the visa - if the visa were declined you would get it back - and you only have 2 to 3 weeks from being approved to pay the bond, so if your money was in a term deposit or you needed to apply for a loan, that would be a bit tricky. But you have to wait about a month for an appointment with centrelink, as DIAC knows, so you have that time to get ready.

Shew, that was a long answer to a short question, but hopefully it helps someone!

The centrelink lady mentioned that they were processing heaps of 143s, which might be good news for anyone it that queue.

Edited by Nessa
  • Like 1

Thank you Nessa, your info is of great help.

We have my mom here on a 1 year holiday visa now. And we will make plans to apply for parental visa.

Good luck to all those in the process of doign the same!

NAts

This is all very interesting, and as always with y'all, very informative!!

I'm also mulling over the prospects of leaving my mom behind in SA (it gives me sleepless nights), as well as sponsoring hubby's parents over. I was already aware of the $30k+ visa cost, but wasn't sure how the Assurance part worked. I'm still hoping to eventually get Mom across but I'm not too sure whether she is willing and/or able to move!

Here's the information about Assurance of Support from Centrelink: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/inte...nce_support.htm

Another thing we found out when we went for our appointment, is that one person can only give Assurance for up to two people at the same time. (This is different to sponsoring, you can sponsor as many people as you like - perhaps within reason!!) For a parent visa the Assurance lasts for ten years so if as a couple you planned to bring over three or four parents, you would both need to be eligible to be assurers.

Unlike DIAC, if you phone Centrelink you do actually get to talk to a person after holding for a while!

Hi all,

Just a quick post which will hopefully help in regards to parent visas. Two main options:

Parent visa:

Must meet balance of family test;

This visa is capped at a couple of thousand per year. Due to this there is a very long queue which I believe at last count was approximately 15 years.

In some cases you can apply while in Australia and receive a bridging visa while you wait. The problem with doing this is that while on a bridging visa you have no access to Medicare and have no work rights. You will also need to apply for a different bridging visa each time you want to leave. The even bigger problem is that when you finally reach the end of the queue, you will need to pass medicals to be granted the visa.

Contributory Parent visa:

Each applicant pays a Medicare levy of $34 500;

The assurer need to lodge a bond with the Australian Government for 10 years. The bond is $10,000 for the 1st applicant and $4,000 for each secondary applicant.

Because of the costs, the queue is much shorter and off shore applications take approximately 18 months. On shore are even quicker. The department will not ask for Medicare levy and bond unless the application is to be approved, so this money is not at risk.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

Just a quick post which will hopefully help in regards to parent visas. Two main options:

Parent visa:

This visa is capped at a couple of thousand per year. Due to this there is a very long queue which I believe at last count was approximately 15 years.

In some cases you can apply while in Australia and receive a bridging visa while you wait. The problem with doing this is that while on a bridging visa you have no access to Medicare and have no work rights. You will also need to apply for a different bridging visa each time you want to leave. The even bigger problem is that when you finally reach the end of the queue, you will need to pass medicals to be granted the visa.

Contributory Parent visa:

Each applicant pays a Medicare levy of $34 500;

The assurer need to lodge a bond with the Australian Government for 10 years. The bond is $10,000 for the 1st applicant and $4,000 for each secondary applicant.

Because of the costs, the queue is much shorter and off shore applications take approximately 18 months. On shore are even quicker. The department will not ask for Medicare levy and bond unless the application is to be approved, so this money is not at risk.

For the contributory Parent Visa how long do you have to come up with the money once it is approved?

Thank you, everyone. I have been pullling my hair about this one as well as I am an only child and been looking after my mother for over 20 years. This will work out better for us I think than leaving her at 68-69yrs in an old age home, to travel at her age back and forth plus private SA medical with no income would weigh us down.

Merry Christmas! got my present. Now anyone got good solutions for 4 beautiful rhodesian ridgebacks....

With contributory parent visas, does the parent not have to go for medicals?

May, do you already have a visa? If not you could add her as a 'dependant' on your application...?

I do, the agent said if she failed the medicals we all would fail. I would like my mom across but my kids have their whole life ahead. We have not moved yet because we are fortunate in SA and the recession happened weeks after our visa was granted, we have a lot of arrangements incl m-in-law who has alzheimers. my husband was an unwilling participant but now he sees the writing on the wall come 2011.

For the contributory Parent Visa how long do you have to come up with the money once it is approved?

I should be able to let you know about that soon - I'm hoping my mom's will be finalised soon, but still waiting to hear re: the bank loan, argh!!

Kit, yeah parents do have to go for medicals.

I should be able to let you know about that soon - I'm hoping my mom's will be finalised soon, but still waiting to hear re: the bank loan, argh!!

Kit, yeah parents do have to go for medicals.

Hello There,

Typically you get about a months grace to arrange the 2nd VAC. You can request an extension if needed. Ofcourse this depends when Medicals and PCC expire!

Yes Parents need to meet Health and Character requirements just like everybody else.

Regards

Hi there

We're thinking of trying to bring my folks across, but I'm worried that they won't pass the medicals - my dad is on heart meds (although he's also very fit and active; more so than me!).

Does anyone know if there's a list of conditions that are sure-fire fails for the medicals for parents, or has anyone any experiences they could share about what's problematic and what's not? For instance, if a condition is under control is a pass pretty likely?

Thanks

Abby (& Tim)

My mom in law came over with a holiday visa but we are now applying for a humanitarian visa since we looked after her for the past few years financially and she is seen as a dependent of our family. We have to put down only $5000 as an insurance but we will get it back after 2 years and then she has to go for medicals still but she is also on heart pilletjies and all the rest and seems to us they are more interested in TB and Aids. My hubby is doing al the ins and outs so if you want more info you can speak to him.Just let me know

Neola, that would be such a bonus! Pls I would really like to speak to you hubby, if I could rather do that it would be great!

Typically you get about a months grace to arrange the 2nd VAC. You can request an extension if needed. Ofcourse this depends when Medicals and PCC expire!

Thanks! That's helpful to know.

• 4 weeks later...

We are in the process of bringing my parents over, they have to pay the medicare levy and they lodged April 2009 and their agent told them it looks like they'll be getting their CO btw April and July this year. They do have to do PCC and meds. Their agent reckons the wait is 12 - 18mths since the recession alot of applications have been withdrawn and the que has become considerably shorter..........YAY :ilikeit:

Woohoo! Just heard that my mom's visa has been granted!

Thought I would post the good news here and some background for anyone interested.

We lodged Mum's application for Contributory Aged Parent (864) in July 2009. This was an onshore application. My mom is on a UK passport, so she was able to get an ETA tourist visa without any no further stay clause and came over in June to start the process. When her tourist visa ran out she automatically went onto a bridging visa A, no need to apply seperately. In October 2009 the CO requested PCC, medicals and assurance of support. There were some hassles with the PCC (SAPS 'didn't receive' our cheque!) and that eventually came through mid-December. Just after Christmas we got the letter asking for the second installment (that 34k). We had 28 days to pay. I ended up getting a personal loan to finance it. National Bank had no problem with giving a loan for that purpose; in fact they seemed quite sympathetic as there was a possibility that it might not have been approved based on my income and lack of assets but in the end it was. Paid on 2 January and got the visa grant letter today!

We did the application ourselves but also met with a migration lawyer to have all the paperwork checked over before we lodged. This cost a lot less than having an agent take care of the whole process. but allowed us to have some questions answered and feel confident we hadn't made any mess ups with the forms and ten thousand supporting documents.

Good luck to everyone else applying!!!

CONGRATS Nessa!!!! You guys must be so happy!!!! Waiting with bated breath for my parents to get theirs. They are off shore so it'll take a bit longer I suspect!!!

Congrats Nessa that is GREAT news!

:)