Adelaide: South African get-together, Dec 3rd, 2006

Bob

I got a note from the South African Network today, here in Adelaide, inviting me and Ginnie to a get-together with all other interested South Africans.

Thorndon Park Reserve

Sunday 3rd . . . . . 11am onwards.

Braai facilites available.

Bring seats and drinks, meat, etc.

An umbrella wouldn't go amiss I shouldn't think, either, if the day is going to be warm and sunny.

Thorndon Park is about fifteen / twenty mins drive north east out of the city centre of Adelaide, taking North Tce., then this becomes Payneham Rd which becomes Lower North-East Rd. Take the Gorge Road (which heads out to townships in the countryside like Birdwood and Mannum) for about a kilometre.

Thorndon Park Res. is on the left.

The suburbs surrounding the Reserve are Paradise, Newton and Athelstone.

I'll catch ya there after church.

Bob

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Bob - I only saw this post now, catching up on the Forum a little tonight.

We will be having an early Christmas lunch/goodbye get together with my in-laws in Springs that afternoon, I hope you all have fun!

Bronwyn

Thanks Bob

Its 10 minutes from my house, so see you there. :ilikeit:

ME also wanna go!!! :lol: Enjoy it!

Pippa! X

Good to catch up with you again, Marius.

Leon B and his family who only just arrived in Adelaide at midnight Tuesday/Wednesday were there, meeting other folk newly from South Africa and sharing their 'adventures' and the hurdles that life can set up on the way.

Ginnie must have spoken to Leon, and his wife, for a good half hour, as well as to others.

Jeanette and her hubby, Danie, were also, although I'm not sure that Jeanette posts regularly on SAAustralia.

The afternoon was sunny and warm . . . . not too hot, which was a welcome change!

I have heard a whisper that a Port River boat trip (where the dolphins like to frolic!) is being planned . . . . . $25 a head . . . . so start saving the pennies for February.

More later!

Edited by Bob

Yup, good to see you again to Bob. It was a nice day, lots of "chin wagging"as you call it and also made a few new friends. Yes, from 25 year veterans to 4 day "greenies", all there ;) . I havent spoken that much Afrikaans in a long time I have to say.

Indeed, my money is under my mattress for the cruise. Its gonna be good. I will have to come by taxi... :whome:;):holy:

We also spoke to the folks at SANETSA that arranged the event and we agreed better interaction is needed between us and their site and more exposure to these things is what is required, we will see what we can do about that.

See you around the town.

It's great that you managed to get in touch with the team from SANetSA.

I missed them with coming after church, so couldn't thank them for putting the afternoon on for all.

I was also pleased to see Ginnie interacting with other members, as she has been distant from newcomers to these shores, but seems to be willing to talk and "engage" with all nowadays.

She's starting to realise that mixing with people that like a game of rugby, enjoy a barbie / braai, AND having a taste for cold beer can't be too intimidating!!

I think its a good thing that SANETSA and SASustralia pool their resources and work together for the betterment of a common goal....

Looking forward to meeting up with every one......I am hoping that we will be attend the boat cruise in Feb.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK :blink:

Hi Bob and Marius,

How many people were there on Sunday?

I think its a good thing that SANETSA and SASustralia pool their resources and work together for the betterment of a common goal....

I agree with Tazz!

Lovies, Pippa! X

Pippa,

There were about 50 or so. It wasn't very well advertised, I only heard from Bob as I didn't get my notice in the post. We discussed improving the communication and modernising it to e-mail perhaps. I will also help to promote future events if I am aware of them which I hope to be with the planned improved communication and cooperation. Lets see how we go.

The cruise is gonna be GOOOoooooood ! :unsure:

Bob,

Thats OK, not all people welcome newcomers into their midst. We all understand that and accept it as part of the package. MOST, no the overwhelming majority Aussies are however very welcoming and helpfull, the reste either come around later or stay the same, which is perfectly understandable and OK by most.

Like the saying goes, all we want is a place in the sun, we might just have to earn it harder with some folks. :blink: