Visa Options

Mara

They state that for a position within the engineering field, you need to be offered a minimum salary of $70, 000 PA. For Austarlia this represents an excellent salary."

Rereading the minimum salaries document I linked above, I think he is wrong. All engineers appear to fall under Schdedule A which has a minimum base salary of A$41850. This figure is then used to calculate the actual minimum salary. The base salary is based on 38 hours per week. So if the company required you to work 76 hours (double 38) per week then the minimum salary they would have to pay you would be A$83700 (double A$41850).

Unless your prospective employer is asking you to work 63.5 hours per week (which would require a minimum salary of A$70000) then they have got it wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mara

• NikkiH

• Biltongboer

• The Steinbergs

Ronfire,

Your 457 was done quickly!

Did you use an agent or do it yourself?

Any advise for us we have applied for our passports, daughters birth certs and our marraige certs... What next and how much is this whole thing going to cost?

Tks

Penni

Ronfire,

Your 457 was done quickly!

Did you use an agent or do it yourself?

Any advise for us we have applied for our passports, daughters birth certs and our marraige certs... What next and how much is this whole thing going to cost?

Tks

Penni

We-el-e-ll, it's not quite done yet! :holy: However, I think things were much faster cos the [potential] employer (WALGA) is already registered as a sponsor with DMIA, and they seem to have preferred status with DMIA. So, we didn;'t really lose any time waiting for the sponsorship and nomination to go through....I gather that this is what usually takes time. I'm still waiting for my son's unabridged birth certificate, but they seem to have been able to lodge our application without this.....and I'll simply send through as soon as we have it.

Costs: The visa application fee is being paid by the sponsor in my case, need not be the same for everyone, though, but no harm in trying to negotiate that!

Other costs: You don't need to write IELTS, but it helps, especially if you plan to apply for PR within the next 2 years. That set me back about R1600 (I think? :ilikeit: ), and I did it in Nov 2007.

Medicals.....at Hatmed in Pretoria, medicals are R400 per person and R300 for chest x-rays. My wife and I only needed the x-rays, while my son only needed a medical. Also, bear in mind that the doctor will courier the exam results to Sydney, so they'll stick you for another R400 or so for courier costs.

Costs of all the documents,i.e passports,etc. I'm using Bunnyhop to get my son's unabridged birth cert, so that's costing my R470...

It's quite simple to do yourself, you don't need an agent; however, I must say that WALGA has done all the paperwork from the Aus side, so all I needed to do was just supply the documentation and do the medicals, etc. If you do the application yourself, try and do it online, makes life much easier. Also, if you can scan your docs in colour, u don't need to get them certified! Nice, ain't it? :ilikeit:

The medicals will take a while, according to all accounts. We did ours yesterday, called the doctor's office today for a tracking number and was told that they'll only courier it off on Tuesday!! AAAAAAARGH!!! :ilikeit:

Since it goes to Sydney, the medicals evaluation process will probably take a good three weeks. Good time for me to focus on selling my house.......know anyone looking for a house in Pretoria???!

I hope your application goes quickly! You need to ahve your qualification certificates ready as well. You'll need to give evidence of English competence. If you went to an English school, a letter from your school showing that you had at least five years of schooling in English, will be more than sufficient. If you have an IELTS score, that'll make it the icing on the cake! :ilikeit:

All the best....where are u planning on going to in Aus?

Sorry for the long post.....but it's Friday, the cricket ended all too quickly......and I have electricity!!!!! YAAAY!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
It's quite simple to do yourself, you don't need an agent; however, I must say that WALGA has done all the paperwork from the Aus side, so all I needed to do was just supply the documentation and do the medicals, etc. If you do the application yourself, try and do it online, makes life much easier. Also, if you can scan your docs in colour, u don't need to get them certified! Nice, ain't it? :blush:

When you apply online for the 457 Visa, what initial documentation does one need to supply with the application? Will they inform me when I need to do what - like the medicals etc?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys...!

My dad went over on a 457 Visa, my mom will follow soon. My question is: Will I be able to go over to Aus. on my dad’s visa? I’m 24 years old, renting a room in their house, working full-time and still studding part-time!

Hi Linese

You wont be able to go on your dad's visa because you are not dependent on them fully. If you were studying full time it may have been a different story. It would also have had to be while the application was done, not after the fact. So you could go on a student visa or on your own skilled visa later.

Regards,

N

The medicals will take a while, according to all accounts. We did ours yesterday, called the doctor's office today for a tracking number and was told that they'll only courier it off on Tuesday!! AAAAAAARGH!!! ;)

Since it goes to Sydney, the medicals evaluation process will probably take a good three weeks. Good time for me to focus on selling my house.......know anyone looking for a house in Pretoria???!

Not necessarily. The doctor we used in Cape Town dispatched the documents the same day, the medicals arrived in Sydney within 3 to 4 days, and took a week to process. An additional medical was requested for my wife, same time frame as above, except that the medicals arrived the Monday in Sydney, and the Visa was granted on the Friday.

It will vary from applicant to applicant, but reading on here should give you a good average of what kind of timeframe to expect.

• 1 month later...

HI AJAY

Thanks for your input. It has sure cleared up a lot of questions I had. A general question for one and all: Is it better to wait for a job offer and then apply for the 457 visa or to plunge right in and apply for the 176 visa?? I see that no skills assessment is required for a 457 (unless requested by the territory) and also no IELTS (unless requested)!! Am I correct?

CHEERS

LouisK

Hi Guys

what is the implication when you go over on a 457 and then when you are there apply for a PR - do you get any credits for being on a 457 - or is it like applying from scratch?

Thx

M

• 2 weeks later...
Any idea on WA, might pay us to wait for PR. 2 kids paying full fees when you land with rands is a lot of money.

Do you pay full fees in WA on a 457 visa?

Regards

Camper

Hi

You will have only the 45 AUD registration fee per year go and search the WA gov education you will find all the information

• 1 month later...

Sorry to annoy those who may have posted it elsewhere, but can someone just please summarise what they needed in application for the 457 once the employer had the number?

Must my wife also have police clearance? (I have mine already.) The Namibian police takes 4 months to provide it!!

From the immi website it seems they will inform me when any document is neccessary to provide, but this leaves me a bit unprepared as I want to get everything ready beforehand.

Any tips out there?

Hi Biltongboer

Here's link to the checklist of docs you need for applying for the 457

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-wor...application.htm

Yes - your wife will also need a police clearance - anyone over 18 has to have one.

Get everything ready anyway... except medicals

The only certs they will ask for later will be your medicals and your police clearance - so your wife should apply for her PC now. You can do meds when requested - they'll go quickly.

Hope this helps?

Leigh

Hi Biltongboer

Here's link to the checklist of docs you need for applying for the 457

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-wor...application.htm

Yes - your wife will also need a police clearance - anyone over 18 has to have one.

Get everything ready anyway... except medicals

The only certs they will ask for later will be your medicals and your police clearance - so your wife should apply for her PC now. You can do meds when requested - they'll go quickly.

Hope this helps?

Leigh

Thanks Leigh, it helps. Every little bit helps a lot! I don't know what I would have done without this forum...

"Certified copies of employment references"

What do they mean by this? Are there any guidelines as to what this should look like, and what it should contain? <_<

also, they say:

Meeting the character requirement

For the Australian Government to determine whether you are of good character, you may be asked to provide police certificates for each country you have lived in for 12 months or more over the last ten (10) years since turning 16.

If you are applying outside Australia, you do not have to provide this information when you apply. You will be advised when it is required.

This is all so confusing...Maybe you need it, maybe you don't, but get everything ready just in case...

Edited by Biltongboer

A person will fail the character test where:

they have a substantial criminal record

they have, or have had, an association with an individual, group or organisation suspected of having been, or being, involved in criminal conduct

having regard to the person's past and present criminal conduct, the person is found not to be of good character

having regard to the person's past and present general conduct, the person is found to be not of good character

there is a significant risk that the person will engage in criminal conduct in Australia, harass, molest, intimidate or stalk another person in Australia, vilify a segment of the Australian community, or incite discord in the Australian community or in a segment of that community, or represent a danger to the Australian community or a segment of that community.

I must add that I'm glad that people with these characteristics are not allowed in Aus. Around here, they govern the country...

A person will fail the character test where:

they have a substantial criminal record

they have, or have had, an association with an individual, group or organisation suspected of having been, or being, involved in criminal conduct

having regard to the person's past and present criminal conduct, the person is found not to be of good character

having regard to the person's past and present general conduct, the person is found to be not of good character

there is a significant risk that the person will engage in criminal conduct in Australia, harass, molest, intimidate or stalk another person in Australia, vilify a segment of the Australian community, or incite discord in the Australian community or in a segment of that community, or represent a danger to the Australian community or a segment of that community.

I must add that I'm glad that people with these characteristics are not allowed in Aus. Around here, they govern the country...

That last statement....CLASSIC + soooooo True!!!!!!! :rolleyes::unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Ajay,

I'd like to commenty on one of the Cons you listed: I am also on my way to relocate to Adelaide (will hopefully arrive soon!), and I was very concerned about the matter of having to pay between $4000 and $7000 per child per annum for public schooling. However, I went straight to the "source" and enquired about this matter from the South Australian Education Dept, which informed me via email that these fees are only applicable to 456 visa holders. The 457 visa entitles you to the same annual fees as the locals.

For what it's worth :ilikeit:

Cheers,

Lourens

Hi Lourens, dis rerig goeie nuus want ek was ook onder die indruk dat ek vir my kind sal moet betaal. Ek sal graag met julle wil kontak maak as ek daar kom in Julie. Dis sal dalk goed wees indien jy daai maail vir my kan aanstuur as ek daar is en probleme ondervind. Watter area bly julle?

Morning,

thanks for the info but i believe that there is a hold on all new 457 applications due to it being under review by govt - any truth in it

cheers

Paul

Hi All,

Here goes my first reply ! I have accepted a position in Melourne and I am busy completing my online questionnaire before submitting my application. At this stage I have only the birth certificates of my 2 daughters, does anyone know whether not being able to provide their passport numbers will affect whether they can start processing the 457 VISA?

Hi Marcobarnard

I cannot answer your questions, but I can say welcome to Melbourne. If there is anything I can assist with, please shout!

Probably the single biggest question that we get on the forum relates to the various types of visas that are available, and which would be the most suited.

I am going to try and write up some information on the two most common - the 457 and the 136 to help provide some guidance. Here is the first attempt!

Long Term Temporary Resident (Subclass 457)

This visa class allows Australian employers to sponsor temporary residence visas for foreign workers. There are three steps involved.

The employer is required to be an approved Business Sponsor (they can apply for this - it takes around 4 weeks for approval, provided they meet the criteria). At this time, they can request a specific number of visas.

Once approved as a Business Sponsor, the employer then has 2 years to allocate the approved visa spots to specific positions. So, they may use one to bring on a Developer, one for a Sales Professional, one for a Recruiter, etc. Provided the position is listed in the ASCO listings (see link below for these) there should be no problem with this. This process is called the Nomination. At the same time, they can specify that they have already identified the person that they would like to fill the role.

The third step is the Visa Application, where the employee applies for the nominated visa position. If the employee meets the criteria specified in the nomination, is under the age of 45, and has a clear medical check, then the visa should be issued.

Pros

It's quick! Once an employer is an approved Business Sponsor, then the actual nomination and application process can take as little as 2 weeks, although more often than not, it takes around 4-6 weeks. Many companies (like mine) apply for multiple visas every two years, so that they can move quickly once a candidate has been identified. This is why we always stress that you should go ahead and apply for positions on websites, even though they say only residents can apply. Many, if not most, of the bigger companies, are already approved sponsors.

Immediate Family, ie spouse/partner and dependant children can accompany the primary sponsor and have unrestricted work rights.

No Points System! Visas are granted on the basis of the visa applicant being suited to the position. For those with no tertiary education, this is a godsend.

Pathway to Permanent Residence!. The Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) allows employers to sponsor their 457 temporary residents for Permanent Residency after the have worked in Australia on a fulltime basis for 2 years, and have been with the sponsoring employer for at least the last 12 months. ENS also has no points system, and provided that you pass the medical and character checks, the process can again be quick (anything from 6 weeks to 6 months).

Cons

Work Restrictions! The 457 visa restricts you from working for anyone other than the sponsoring employer. If you leave them, you need to find another employer that is willing to sponsor you, or else leave the country. Because you need 2 years employment under the same code for ENS, you'll also need to make sure that your new employer uses the same code. However, it is a relatively simple process to move, and if you have good skills, then companies are often happy to become your sponsor. I have personally changed employers since arriving last year in November, and there was no problem with it. 4 of my colleagues at my previous company have also all moved on to new sponsors.

A 457 visa grants Temporary Residence only. This means that you will not have access to state benefits like Medicare or Family Assistance / other Social Security benefits. In some states, temporary residents are required to pay School Fees, even in public school. In NSW, these fees are $4500-$5000 per child per annum.

The whole feeling of only being Temporary can feel quite unsettling. However, at the end of the day, 2 years can go by at a rapid speed and you will be eligible to apply for ENS sooner than you think!

In summary, the 457 is a great option if you don't qualify on the points system, or want to move quickly. Although it can be soul destroying to continously apply for positions and be rejected on the basis of residency, keep at it! There are many of us on the forum (and many of the Hosts) that have secured our visas in this way.

If at all possible, identify the big employers in your field and approach them directly. If they are prepared to consider sponsorship, and if you can afford it, try to come out for a week and meet with them personally. My sister and her husband did this and both got job offers, with sponsorships, as a result. It's worth it if you can afford it.

I will try to put together something similar for the 136 (Skilled Independant Visa) in the next month or so. Meantime, I hope this answers at least a couple of questions.

Here's a link to the ASCO Codes.

http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/abs@.nsf/66...35?opendocument

Cheers

Ajay

Dear Ajay

I have found the information you have posted very helpful. I have been reading about possible visas quite a bit bit your info is on the spot without too much detail... Thanks!

One question though: I notice that some of the 457 application info on the preadsheets containing time-line info re applications refer to "frontloaded meds". What does "frontloaded meds" mean?

I am assuming it denotes a position where one undergoes the medical examinations prior to the application being submitted. Is this possible? Do you know how to go about in dong this? Does it save time?

I am sorry for bombarding you with questions.

Very, very new at this....

Kind regards

Jeanne

Hi Guys

Please can I ask all you 457 people to update or add your details to

http://www.freewebs.com/saaustraliaforum/

I would love to know how fast the processing times are going and it seems that noone has been adding their details for a while. My husband has a possible job offer and wants some gauge as to when the employer can expect him to start.

Thanks

Sasher

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me what is considered "special skills"???? I have got my application form open online but I have no idea what to put under special skills... would that be something you have studied for or something you feel you are good at in your job??

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for there contributions.

I am very new to the whole immigration process. I know the whole 457 visa is not ideal to do but it is the quickest way to get to Australia. Your waiting period on the skilled visa is about 1year. I wanted to know how long you need to be on the 457 before applying for PR? Can anyone help with this? <_<

Hi Clairey

You can apply for p.r via the skilled independent 175 visa at any time, even before you apply for a 457, some people lodge a 175 and then are offered sponsorship on a 457, get that granted, arrive in Aus and then have their p.r granted a few months later, or you can come over on 457 and see if your sponsor will help with p.r via Employer nominated sponsorship ( 856) or if in a regional area RSMS 857.

The employer nominated p.r visa's are onshore visa's and the 175 is an off shore visa meaning that when the visa is granted you will have to go off shore to have it validated in your passport.