Wollongong

Simpsons

I just came across this thread and thought I'd post in here!! I'm actually an Australian but my hubby is South African. We live just South of Wollongong (shellharbour) It's a beautiful area. So if anyone needs to know anything I'd be more than happy to help.

Unicorn - Hope the tour of the 'gong' went well!!!

Nezz, Hi and Welcome!!!

I hope to have reason to bombard you with questions soon. Thanks for the intro.

Ask away!! More than happy to help out. And perhaps we'll have a lekker braai when you arrive!!!

I actually met another South African couple by chance (Hubby had his rugby t-shirt on!) so there are a few other's living around here!!

Hi Nezz, It's good to now know SOMEBODY in the area :ilikeit:

My hubby was the lucky one that got to go there, and he says I will love the place, so now I'm super excited :ilikeit:

I can't think of any questions as yet, but I'll PM you when I think of them :)

Hi,

i have been to wollongong twice. This last weekend to buy a puppy (We drove down from Sydney)

Before that we went to Lane Cove near Shell harbour where there is a new land development. ITs AWESOME, for 450k to 700k you can get spanking new houses on some beautiful lsnd near the sea. If I did not have to wok in Sydney I'd be there in a shot.

You cant go wrong there i think, although as I am in IT I want to be sin Sydney.

I have a mate in Sydney who commutes from Wollongong though.

Takes him 1.5 hours in the morning and 2 hours back at night.. not great...

Edited by byron

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks byron for your valuable input! Still have not heard one "bad" or "negative" thing about the GONG. COOOOL!

Thanks byron for your valuable input! Still have not heard one "bad" or "negative" thing about the GONG. COOOOL!

Hi Guys

Rather late than never!!! Have not had time to even read the forum since we got back from Oz in Jan. We spent NYE in Sydney. Was great. Went to Tas for a week, back up to Sydney and drove down to WOLLONGONG. We just fell in love. LOVED IT!!!! The beaches, parks and forests are just stunning.

Just what we were looking for. Beautiful, not too big, not too small and close enough to Sydney if we need some major action. :ilikeit::lol: :lol:

Looks like the house is sold. Waiting for bond approval and then we are on our way to make Wollongong our new home. We are looking to settle in the Figtree area.

I must just add that the emotions are intense and unstable. What a long and hectic journey so far and so much more to go :blink::lol: :lol: :lol::unsure::blink::lol::blink::unsure:

Just a couple of pics to enjoy.

post-3569-1268332688.jpg

post-3569-1268332753.jpg

post-3569-1268332826.jpg

post-3569-1268333148.jpg

post-3569-1268333175.jpg

Thank you so much for the awesome pic's KMG!!

I'm kinda on a downer, as we've just found out that our process is going to be stretched out a lot longer then originally told????? :ilikeit:

At least the door hasn't closed on us, it's just further away now :blush:

Hi All

My wife got offered a job in Wollongong starting in July/August time frame. This came only a day after our 176 was approved. We have been living in Canada for the last 8 years, but then made the "mistake" of visiting my wife's family in Sydney during October 2008. After that we could not get Australia out of our minds.

Looking forward to the new adventure and the life style change

Hope to meet some of you folks out there!

Hi All

My wife got offered a job in Wollongong starting in July/August time frame. This came only a day after our 176 was approved. We have been living in Canada for the last 8 years, but then made the "mistake" of visiting my wife's family in Sydney during October 2008. After that we could not get Australia out of our minds.

Looking forward to the new adventure and the life style change

Hope to meet some of you folks out there!

Would love to get together when you are in Wollongong. Please send us a personal message when you are there. I don't get time to check the forum much these days.

Good luck to you Sarel & family.

Hang in there unicorn. Our story took ages too! It takes sooo long and then it comes so suddenly. x

Would love to get together when you are in Wollongong. Please send us a personal message when you are there. I don't get time to check the forum much these days.

Good luck to you Sarel & family.

Hang in there unicorn. Our story took ages too! It takes sooo long and then it comes so suddenly. x

Thank KMG!

Would be lovely to have a get together when we get there!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Just to share that we will be arriving in Wollongong on the 16th of June 2010. :):ilikeit: :ilikeit:

Hope to see some of you there sometime!!!

xKaren

Work in the Gong but live in Caringbah.

Mannnn... its lekka living by the sea!

:whome:

Hi All

Just to share that we will be arriving in Wollongong on the 16th of June 2010. :):lol::ilikeit:

Hope to see some of you there sometime!!!

xKaren

Awesome KMG

All the best and keep us in the loop during the process!

There is only one problem with living in Caringbah and working in Wollongong, Rent and homes cost just about double ??, it's 60 klm away by road, in winter there is always fog on that highway. And your wasting 2 hr a day commuting. 45 mins by train if it's not an express train. The whole area down the coast is just as nice as Caringbah, PS I worked and stayed in the area for atleast 10yrs.

Mrs Simpson thanks for your PM, let us know how your going.

Aawwww it's so nice to see this topic coming alive!

KMG, Thanks for the pics, what can I say, STUNNING! Everything I'm looking for too. Wow, I am so envious of you right now, you're almost there. P.S. keep a spot for me!

Unicorn, just keep your eye on the prize, we've had obstacles of our own, and even now, might have to go to another state first for 2 years, but I've set Wollongong as a goal, it is the ultimate prize for us.

Sarel Seemonster, comforting to know that your holiday set such an impression that you're relocating to the GONG, it's reassuring to know that we're on the right track.

Chester, it's a pleasure! Will def keep you updated!

Lata aligators

Aawwww it's so nice to see this topic coming alive!

KMG, Thanks for the pics, what can I say, STUNNING! Everything I'm looking for too. Wow, I am so envious of you right now, you're almost there. P.S. keep a spot for me!

Hey hey. Will keep you a spot for sure. Will keep you posted. I am not sure how much I will get on the forum though, so if I get quiet, please send me a personal message.

The stress and emotions are high though. I must say this whole process is bloody HECTIC!!!!

Just hope it all works out. We are sure giving up lots!!!!! :blink:

xKaren

• 5 months later...

Hi All - back after a few months on this topic

We will be in Australia for a month in December to make a final decision on moving there from Canada. We are still thinking Wollongong is a very good option as the housing is more affordable and the schools look great too. Especially Cordeaux Heights looks like a very nice neighborhood.

I have a couple of questions for anyone who has done this:

1) How long is the commute from Wollongong to Sydney by a) Train and B) Car. I read different things on the blogs and it ranges anything from 1 hour 15 to 2 hours 30 one way. I usually start my commute to work @ 6am en return home 4pm

2) Are there any commercial flights from Illawarra regional airport to Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth? If not do you fly from Sydney?

Thanks in advance

SS