Substitutes

Nicki G

Hi Guys

Argh, I get so irritated. I have been wanting to bake and I like to have what is needed. I needed nutty wheat - got wholemeal flour - not the same. Wheat bran - cannot find only oat bran, icing mixture is not the same as Icing sugar - learnt the hard way - fudge ended up in the bin. Do they have soy flour. I have the low GI books and they say you can substitute pronutro with soya flour and wheat bran - cannot find either -

Am I a bad cook or is anyone else as irriated by this. My much loved recipes do not come out the same either, I made a loaf cake the other day it was so urgh - just not the same??

Being dof or a valid point??

Nicki

You can defintely find Soya flour at the health shops or try the speciality flour shops if they have any in Rockhampton.

You can also get Wheat bran at the health shops.

I know that we can get icing sugar here in Perth, the icing sugar mixutre contains about 3 % cornflour. Bundaberg makes pure icing sugar.

CSR makes pure icing sugar. The "cheaper" brands are icing mixes. Look fopr CSR and Bundaberg sugar in the supermarkets.

If you search for Nutty Wheat , I recall that someone did have a mix for it, I think it was Cristel perhaps send her a PM.

Good Luck, it will all come right.

Cheers

Valid point!!!!

During our LSD we wanted to try a "barbie"

My husband makes the most delicious mushroom sauce for steak, but he needs Bisto...guess what: no Bisto, and nobody in Coles or Woolies had the foggiest idea what I was talking about. :rolleyes:

Hi there,

Thanks a million for that, I have a health shop over the road from work, I will go and see him tomorrow.

Has anyone got a lekka Bran muffin recipe or a lekker muffin recipe at all

me

... I like to have what is needed ...

Good luck with baking. But I think it would sound better if you said, "I can like to have what is needed..." :rolleyes: Just sounds better.

Edited by Jordy

The other thing you have to remember, I see you lived in Krugersdorp and now in Rockhampton, your oven temperatures may have to be adjusted!

Here is a link:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7812429/Cooking-At-High-Altitude

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_altitude_cooking

Hope that helps!

Valid point!!!!

During our LSD we wanted to try a "barbie"

My husband makes the most delicious mushroom sauce for steak, but he needs Bisto...guess what: no Bisto, and nobody in Coles or Woolies had the foggiest idea what I was talking about. :rolleyes:

Hi there,

I also searched for Bisto, found at the SA shop in Dural but quite expensive.

I have started using Gravox and it's DELICIOUS!!!

You get the regular flavour and the rich flavour, I have a box of each and use whichever suits the meal I'm making.

Instead of maizena I use Cornflour

Hi there,

Thanks a million for that, I have a health shop over the road from work, I will go and see him tomorrow.

Has anyone got a lekka Bran muffin recipe or a lekker muffin recipe at all

me

Hello

Not the worlds best lover of cooking and baking, but when I need a recipe, I sometimes google it first before digging out my recipe books. Have a look here. http://www.cookingnook.com/bran-muffin-recipe.html

Enjoy, wish you were living closer.

Bea

Good luck with baking. But I think it would sound better if you said, "I can like to have what is needed..." :rolleyes: Just sounds better.

I can like to have all the right stuffs to