SA goods in ACT

Lyn

Hi all

Does anyone know if there is a shop in our area that sells SA products ? Or do we have to buy on line ?

Someone mentioned one in Mawson - but I walked that place flat and couldnt find anything.

Thanx

The IGA at the Holt shops stocks SA groceries. It is not always consistent but if you catch them on a good day you can load up on Ouma rusks, Provitas, All Gold tomato sauce, braaipap etc.

I live a couple of blocks away from that IGA and walk past there every evening with my dog, so if you are planning to go all the way to Holt IGA let me know and I will check first to see whether there is much stock - it really is a bit hit and miss there.

Thanx for that. Will look if there is a IGA closer to home. Some provitas and ouma rusks would go down well. I really want some MentadentP toothpaste. The pink one - my son hates the minty taste of toothpaste and I have 1,5 tubes left.

Thanx K, for offering to check.

Hi Lyn,

If you go to the Mawson center again, the shop selling a few SA products is very very small, it almost looks like a store room.

It is right opposite a shop that does parties and costumes. Found mieliepap, aromat and mrs balls chutney there

Good luck

Rene

I was at the IGA in Holt yesterday and the have lots of SA food in stock at the moment

pronutro

Ouma rusks

iced zoo biscuits

jellietots

Mrs Balls

some weird atchar type jars I don't know

koejawel concentrate

marmite

No mentadent P though, I checked!

Thanks Renee, tomorrow I will be off to find the store room !!

K - thanks for checking for the Ment P - will have to either buy online or find him something else.

Would love a packet of jellitots.

Would love a packet of jellitots.

$3 for a packet!

But I guess at least that way you appreciate each and every jellytot in the packet!

I didn't buy anything, was feeling stingy that day. But I have been thinking about going back for a $6 box of Ouma rusks...

Wont be sharing my jellitots at that price ! and thats probably the little bag.

A good cuppa coffee and a buttermilk or condensed milk Ouma rusk - yummy. Spoil yourself.

Hi guys and gals

Dont forget you can buy peppermint crisp at the Caltex garage on the way to Belconnen shopping centre... all Nandos products at Coles in Belco as well as mrs balls....

Hi there

Found heaps of all of these items that Kurkprop found and more - even Caslte, Amstel and Black label beer

I was at the IGA in Holt yesterday and the have lots of SA food in stock at the moment

pronutro, regular and choco - 7$.99

Ouma rusks, buttermilk and meusli

iced zoo biscuits

jellietots

Mrs Balls 3 different types

some weird atchar type jars I don't know

koejawel concentrate

marmite small and large

Mieliemeel - from 500g to 25kg bags, a bargain

Melon and ginger jam

Real Cross & Blackwell Mayo - and Mayo light

Fanta in all the flavors

Sparletta in all the flavors

No mentadent P though, I checked!

AND THE GUY IS GOING TO TRY AND GET RED HEART RUM

Ladies - if all else fails - contact me - I have an online business - not a rip off business - got a team on the other side sourcing the items and posting them over

my website will be up and running in a day or 2 - www.door2doormeds.co.uk - its mainly for medicine from all over the world but I added a special part of it for RSA goodies - so you just e-mail and I get back to you with the price - of course it has to be posted, so shop wise, only shop for what you cannot get here - and - we are going to the RSA in April, so let me have your small shopping lists, I will try and bring back or post it from there, whatever I can - sorry, family and animals cannot be posted or brought back....

Santy

santybruwer@gmail.com - home

santy.bruwer@actewagl.com.au - work

And dont forget - we are trying to get a womans forum up and running - so let me have all your e-mail addresses so we can keep in contact and keep all informed of items and where to find it. Also - we let you know when someone is going back or coming over - welcome parties and lets see if they can bring some needed things in for us (legal that is). This way we can also try and see if someone coming to Canberra or Tumut have some back space in a container and we can share costs. We must really make an effort to incorporate the huge group of SA people in Tumut - its a picture perfect little town - and not that far away - and you pass a Franklins on the way there.....

Share recipies, let everyone know if you are a good baker - for rusks and koeksisters - that way we can all make a little more.

I will have the new forum up asap - I still need a lot of your e-mail addresses.

Will post something here about the forum (with the help of the moderator, but it will be an independent one - spam problems) and let you all know by e-mail. Get all your friends e-mail addresses and send them on to me. Promise, no spam, no selling of e-mail addresses. Its only for the forum and to keep us together as a group.

• Like 1

Man am I glad about he Mielie meel!!!!!!!!! Luv my mielie pappies and my son too! I was thinking of weaning him off it becuase we can't buy it there!......

Great Santy - have sent you my email. Havent heard of Tumut, will pull out the map and check it out.

Now any nice person coming to Canberra prepared to bring me some Ment P Protection toothpaste ? The pink one - pleeze - I have 1 precious tube left.

Found the shop come storeroom in Mawson - real smelly little place - but they had mealie meal - C & B mayo and lite, some robertsons spices, nandos sauces, barbeque salt, Tennis biscuits, pilchards, chappies, and jelly tots ($3,50) - kids and I shared them out exactly - the xtra ones where mine.

Will try to get to Holt, just a little outta my way - I have become a true Canberran - 10kms is too far ;)

Im just being cheeky Billabong ! No worries.

Someone on the forum arriving early March has offerred to bring me a tube - so kind of them.

We can get Ment P and alot of other stuff online but I have decided that as I am in Australia - I must eat, breathe and live the Australian way. So will have to find something else - eish dread that day but Ill be minty fresh.

After nearly 3 months here I still have not found coffee that I can enjoy - going thru every jar on the supermarket shelf. I used to drink the cheap stuff in SA - good ol Ricoffy in the yellow tin. Now its Nescafe Mild roast in a fancy glass jar with a bad after taste.

Another thing I loved was Johnsons baby powder - the lavender one - only have the normal powder here. And I used to use some Yardley products - no Yardley here.

So I will adapt - was chatting to a forumite the other day - we both said that our first sausage sizzles were aweful and thought we'd never eat another - well a few months on we love sausage sizzle and we even make them at home.

Must embrace the Australian way.

Try and blend some of the coffees. I know when you blend some of the machine coffees it takes away that after taste. I'm also using Ricoffy! Experiment a bit? Maybe it will help.

The coffee granules dont look like the ones in SA. These are hard irregular shaped bits - freeze dried or something like that.

I spose I could try the blending thing - I have about 4 different brands in the pantry - Make myself a BushellsMaconnaNescafe Flat White. Hopefully I dont find myself buzzing with a caffiene overdose !!

Enjoy the Ricoffy Billabong. Im so jealous.

The coffee granules dont look like the ones in SA. These are hard irregular shaped bits - freeze dried or something like that.

I spose I could try the blending thing - I have about 4 different brands in the pantry - Make myself a BushellsMaconnaNescafe Flat White. Hopefully I dont find myself buzzing with a caffiene overdose !!

Enjoy the Ricoffy Billabong. Im so jealous.

You mean there's NO RICOFFY IN OZ.!!!!! What am I to do??? Will have to rethink this move!!!!!! :ilikeit::lol::lol:

Looks like I will be getting a nice caffeine buzz cos I will have to try every type!!!!!!

Great Santy - have sent you my email. Havent heard of Tumut, will pull out the map and check it out.

Now any nice person coming to Canberra prepared to bring me some Ment P Protection toothpaste ? The pink one - pleeze - I have 1 precious tube left.

Found the shop come storeroom in Mawson - real smelly little place - but they had mealie meal - C & B mayo and lite, some robertsons spices, nandos sauces, barbeque salt, Tennis biscuits, pilchards, chappies, and jelly tots ($3,50) - kids and I shared them out exactly - the xtra ones where mine.

Will try to get to Holt, just a little outta my way - I have become a true Canberran - 10kms is too far :ilikeit:

Let me know I will get it for you and deliver - come on

OK - I WILL BE IN THE RSA IN APRIL AND WILL POST YOU MENTADENT P - LET ME HAVE YOUR ADDRESSES - I WILL ALSO TRY AND BRING A WHOLE BOX BACK WITH ME.... LET ME KNOW WHO WANTS - santy.bruwer@actewagl.com.au

You mean there's NO RICOFFY IN OZ.!!!!! What am I to do??? Will have to rethink this move!!!!!! :ilikeit::lol::lol:

Looks like I will be getting a nice caffeine buzz cos I will have to try every type!!!!!!

nee man - jy kan dit op die internet koop by die shop in Queensland - Brisbane - maar glo my hier is ander koffies wat baie naby aan dit kom

• 5 months later...

Hi almal!

Sjoe, ek was gister weer na Holt IGA om (die heeerlikste) biltong, droë wors en boerewors te koop, en dis toe ek DIT sien...

'n Rak vol van SAse drank!! Mense, daar is Castle Lager, Black Label, Hunter's Dry, Amstel, Savanna Dry EN Savanna Lite (alles hierdie is in bottels).

Dan is daar ook Klipdrift, Red Heart rum en KWV Brandy.

Ons moet hierdie winkel ondersteun, dat ons altyd hierdie goeie goeters kan kry!

Baie groete,

Aneldari

PS My sus sê ek klink soos 'n alkoholis :whome: , so ek wil maar net byvoeg dat ek eintlik niks van hierdie goed self drink nie, maar ek het gedink aan die wat wel daarvan hou... :whome:

Edited by Aneldari

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone

As a Durbanite hoping to move to ACT, our biggest concern food wise is whether the curry powders and chillies, match our strong local curries.Nothing better than Durban curry and chilli sambals.....

Apollo

Hi Everyone

As a Durbanite hoping to move to ACT, our biggest concern food wise is whether the curry powders and chillies, match our strong local curries.Nothing better than Durban curry and chilli sambals.....

Apollo

We have great Indian spice shops, Indian restaurants and even Indian curry take-aways!

The best curry I have ever eaten was in the ACT.

So no worries, Mate!

Hi almal!

Sjoe, ek was gister weer na Holt IGA om (die heeerlikste) biltong, droë wors en boerewors te koop, en dis toe ek DIT sien...

'n Rak vol van SAse drank!! Mense, daar is Castle Lager, Black Label, Hunter's Dry, Amstel, Savanna Dry EN Savanna Lite (alles hierdie is in bottels).

Dan is daar ook Klipdrift, Red Heart rum en KWV Brandy.

Ons moet hierdie winkel ondersteun, dat ons altyd hierdie goeie goeters kan kry!

Baie groete,

Aneldari

PS My sus sê ek klink soos 'n alkoholis :whome: , so ek wil maar net byvoeg dat ek eintlik niks van hierdie goed self drink nie, maar ek het gedink aan die wat wel daarvan hou... :whome:

Wel my man sal baie bly wees om te hoor hy kan nog sy Klippies iewers in Canberra koop!

:-)

Yay thank you for the curry update!! I can't wait to try them out!

Now can i just get my visa?????????????

:P