To Franchise or Not to Franchise that is the question

Joeemm

Hi All

We are thinking about starting our own business and I'm just wondering what people think about Franchising vs, other types of businessess.

Bearing in mind we've only ever run small acounting firms. Also, some businessess seem to have 4 year + leases on premises, that seems like a lot, but is it unusual to buy a business with that long a lease to go.

Any tips appreciated

Do you have any preferences. A startup professional services may be a challenge - getting clients.

Most startup financial service providers buy into an exiting practise with a solid client base. Lowest risk!

What are you looking for.

See http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=18297

Hi All

We are thinking about starting our own business and I'm just wondering what people think about Franchising vs, other types of businessess.

Bearing in mind we've only ever run small acounting firms. Also, some businessess seem to have 4 year + leases on premises, that seems like a lot, but is it unusual to buy a business with that long a lease to go.

Any tips appreciated

To Franchise or Not to Franchise that is the question - you sound like Willem Skut Die Assegaai...

My POV;

Many advantages for franchises, very few close shop as most of the research has already been done, marketing have been tried and tested.. alot would depend what type of franchise business... many available in Oz...

Your own business would be more difficult, esp in Oz as I have heard from friends that are in business in Oz that the Ossies prefer looking out for each other, quite difficult to break into an unfamiliar market... provided you have a network of people that can support you.. your chances of success are greater as a franchise business...

Tough call... like I said... depends what type of business

Best of luck...

Joefromsa

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Joeemm,

All I can say is that it is very difficult to gudge based out of SA. There a just so many things that are diffrent to SA. We started some businesses in Ozz and it's nothing what we planned... Just because there are so many things that are diffrent. No matter how well you plan, there is always something that changes your planning. We planned for over a year, but must say we are Happy not to have "gone alone" as there is at least some sort of support for you. Keep in mind that franchise law in Ozz is very strict and protect you a lot!

Good luck on your choice.