how much of your nett salary is spent on rent?

hDt

poll  

36 members have voted

1. 1. how much of your nett salary is spent on rent?

• 15-19%
    • 20-24%
    • 25-29%
    • 30-34%
    • 35-39%
    • 40-44%
    • 45-49%
    • 50-54%
    • 55-59%
    • 60-64%
    • 65-70%
  2. 2. do you still send any more back to SA each month?

• R0
    • R500
    • R1000
    • R5000
    • R10,000
    • R20,000
    • more
  3. 3. is the Sydney rent killing you?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's o.k.

i'm still looking for the perfect place to rent, so though it would be interesting to gauge how much people pay on rent, as a percentage of their nett (family) salary?

Edited by hDt

i'm still looking for the perfect place to rent, so though it would be interesting to gauge how much people pay on rent, as a percentage of their nett (family) salary?

no need to stress about rent, mate... and the more you earn, the smaller rent will be as % of your net income. Many of us are single and paying rent of $400 or more per week, but that's either in or very close to the city center. The rent for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment in the city is about $700 - $900 per week, so if you share with a friend, it's about $400 per week each. A bit steep if you take home $1000 per week or less, but quite O.K. if you earn more than $1500 per week.

Probably cheaper in the suburbs further away from the city - have a look at www.realestate.com.au

By the way, it seems that Rents are dropping in inner Sydney...

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah will be interesting what happens when Paul gets there, he arrives on the 6th Jan, lucky he will be staying at the companies flat near the Rocks for 2 weeks and look for somewhere as soon as he gets there, from all we have looked at, he is going to start looking in the Mosman/Kirribilli area, we have budgeted on 500 a week but might end up being more... we are also sending back money to SA, figured it was good to keep a property until we can buy (considering that the market here is shocking for selling I guess it works out ok if it does not break the bank over there)

- sae

• 5 months later...

Yeah I'm in pretty much the same boat. I'm in IT, and sydney has the most jobs but it's also the most expensive city. Brisbane has a lot less jobs but is a lot cheaper, melbourne and perth just isn't an option for me due to weather and location. hmmm choices choices. And it's gonna be soon now, really have to start looking, i already got my visa and looking at leaving end of october.