JHB to Brisbane?

Dirtbikerider

We are headed for Brisbane if we get our Visa.. Thinking about may/June if all goes well with the application...... Difficult to know.... We have no family in Oz and know VERY few people so would love to meet some saffers when we get there.

Have a 19y old son.....

K

• 4 months later...
Hi DBR

So glad we found this website. We are going to Brisbane this year. Been waiting for months for finalisation and finally had our medicals this week. Hubby will probably go on ahead when visas come thru and I will follow around November 2009 with kids. Going on a 457. Our family are into dirt bike riding, so we looking forward to meeting everyone for coffee on Saturday 7th. Been very stressful and up in the air for almost a year now. Good to know that everyone is going through same or similar stuff. Be really cool to meet and share the emotions, anticipation and excitement. :D

Hi HeatherG,

sorry only replying now :blush: ....never received the notification of rereplies to this thread.... :whome:

There is a get together on the Eastrand being organised maybe you guy's are interested in coming? :holy:

What is your hubby going to be doing over there?

Has he left yet....we are hoping to be over before Xmas. :unsure:

Hilton

DBR

Mr HandyMan

Hi guys,

Nice to see all the people that are going to or are in Brisbane. We are from Benoni. Our application is about halfway through and we are hoping to be there late 2009.

We are looking at settling on the Sunshine Coast. The area of Buderim, Maroochydore, Caloundra.

Does anyone have any comments on the area?

Hi Robs,

How are your plans going?

They are busy organising a Eastrand get together...maybe you could join us PM me for details ...I don't have them as yet ...maybe we just organise our own get together....

The sunshine coast is beautiful just v e r y. . . . . s l o w. . . * Compared to Gold Coast or JHB.*sorry Jill...

Pretty much like port shepstone they go about their business and everyone and everything else comes.....well later...

Lovely place to holiday, great walking and cycling paths.

1st world public transport.

My cousin lived there for the last year and she has many great stories to tell of her time there...she has very recently moved to Gold Coast...prefer the lively surrounds....

They made a number of mates wilst living there the people are very friendly....

Hilton

DBR

Mr HandyMan

Edited by Dirtbikerider

The sunshine coast is beautiful, I spent 9 days in Maroochydore and we are hoping to move there eventually. It was fast paced enough for me. So many shops, so much to do, good bus service etc.

Exciting stuff, Jill

Hi All

We(hubby, myself and 3 month old boy) have recently received our visa's and will be on our way to Brisbane in Jan 2010. The process has taken us 1 year from visa lodge. Going on a 175. No family or friends or job on the other side but by the sounds of this thread loads of Saffers there. :ilikeit:

Would love to get together when we land. Also planning to live in North Lakes area. If anyone has ideas for cost effective short term accom whilst we find our feet, please PM us as this would be greatly appreciated.

GOD Bless

Talita

• 1 month later...

Hi,

We received our passport with visa evidenced yesterday. We are flying on the 24 Sep 2009 for our LSD in Brisbane and Gold Coast to check out areas to live and schools.

Are any of you still in SA or already settled in Brisbane/Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast?

Any feedback which is the best bank amongst the Big 4 banks to open an account with in Queensland in terms of customer service, fees etc?

Thanx.

Jennifer

We will HOPEFULLY be leaving between November and end Jan!!! Also looking at moving to North Lakes! :blink:

Have so many different emotions going on, but the Brain knows we doing the right thing!!

Joanne :ilikeit:

We arrived end April and now live in Aspley, north of Brisbane and LOVE LOVE LOVE it !! We originally wanted to move to the Gold Coast, but just feel in love with Brisbane.

We have a 6 year old in Grade One at Aspley State School and cannot fault it. She has excelled in a short time. One very happy child....and very happy parents.

Any specific questions, please feel free to PM me.

Nix

Hi,

We received our passport with visa evidenced yesterday. We are flying on the 24 Sep 2009 for our LSD in Brisbane and Gold Coast to check out areas to live and schools.

Are any of you still in SA or already settled in Brisbane/Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast?

Any feedback which is the best bank amongst the Big 4 banks to open an account with in Queensland in terms of customer service, fees etc?

Thanx.

Jennifer

ANZ Bank is the best. Then National Australia Bank. Then Westpac. Then Bank of Queensland. Then Commonwealth Bank.

I live in Brisbane for 11 years now. Feel free to contact me here on 0413-407925.

We will HOPEFULLY be leaving between November and end Jan!!! Also looking at moving to North Lakes! :P

Have so many different emotions going on, but the Brain knows we doing the right thing!!

Joanne :angry2:

Good luck. You are doing the right thing. If you want any info, send me an email.

Meantime, visit these sites :

www.ozdownunder.net

www.sabona.com.au

Larry :ilikeit:

Wow...!

What a response and all positive good posts.....

I can't wait to get to the Gold Coast.....27 days, 11 hours and some change......We fly to Coolangatta 8 October 2009...

Hope you guy's that are over there are all going to River Fire festival in Brisbane this weekend.....We were there last year....

The Aussiies certainly know how to put together a show of spectacular proportions.....

Kids running around all over, playing.....just being KIDS.....it was great to experience....

Hilton

• 1 year later...

Hey guys!!!!

Did Australia swallow you all?? Why so quiet??

:yawn:

We're coming over soon!!!

:ilikeit:

Petra

:whome:

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning all!

I am new to the forum - nervously excited about the possibility of packing up and going. I am in the process of getting a working visa (457?) to join an IT company in Brisbane.

I will probably go ahead alone, with the family comming across when matters are settled in SA and after I have setup a new nest.

But at the moment it is frustrating as the processes seem to take very long and nothing is certain. This makes it rather hard to plan anything too far into the future - e.g. will I still be here for Christmas? WE have put our house on the market, but the market is rather slow at the moment. There seems to be a 1,000 things to consider and do before you can take to the skies ... it all seems so daunting. But I guess if others could do it - then so could we.

I bought the Sunday Times yesterday and on every page [about], I was reminded why we made the decision to go. Albeit with heavy hearts, as we love our country and see so much potential in it ... but alas, the outlook looks bleak.

So trying to stay positive and taking this one step at a time - with plenty of faith and prayer.

Hope to enjoy the Gold Coast soon!

Regards,

Mynhardt

Good luck Mynhardt.

Emmigration is definitely not for the faint of heart. Wishing you all the best.

Good morning all!

I am new to the forum - nervously excited about the possibility of packing up and going. I am in the process of getting a working visa (457?) to join an IT company in Brisbane.

I will probably go ahead alone, with the family comming across when matters are settled in SA and after I have setup a new nest.

But at the moment it is frustrating as the processes seem to take very long and nothing is certain. This makes it rather hard to plan anything too far into the future - e.g. will I still be here for Christmas? WE have put our house on the market, but the market is rather slow at the moment. There seems to be a 1,000 things to consider and do before you can take to the skies ... it all seems so daunting. But I guess if others could do it - then so could we.

I bought the Sunday Times yesterday and on every page [about], I was reminded why we made the decision to go. Albeit with heavy hearts, as we love our country and see so much potential in it ... but alas, the outlook looks bleak.

So trying to stay positive and taking this one step at a time - with plenty of faith and prayer.

Hope to enjoy the Gold Coast soon!

Regards,

Mynhardt

Hi, good luck Mynhardt!!!

We all have to or have gone through this process. We are almost there, 84 more days then we fly.

My advise:

1. Make a list of everything that has to be done/happen before you and your family goes. Then sort it according to priority. You will feel much more in control if you have a direction to follow.

2. Make a list of everything that has to be packed and what has to be sold. Start selling, take photos and put out on the www and in newspapers.

3. Take everyday at a time, don't have high expectations, then you'll have less disappointments. Everything will come on the right time. Be positive.

I know it is sad to leave this beautiful country. (I know what is going on in your mind.) We are going to miss it. But the future is the destination.

You got children?

Good luck.

Ask if you have more questions!

:ilikeit:

Petra