JHB to Brisbane?

Dirtbikerider

Hi all we are going to Brisbane....in the not to distant future....just paid our agent in Brisbane and PR visa about to be lodged.

We are interested in meeting with others who are also going to Brisbane.

No need to be from JHB.

We all going to the same area, so the sooner we meet the better.

Hopefully we can get a bunch together soon.

DBR

hello, we also going to brisbane, we buzzing over on a 457, hubby going first while we the family travel behind some months later. we stay in durban, but would be nice to keep in contact as by the looks of your sign in name, we going to get along fine, we also wanting to look at taking our dirt bikes over as we in the ride outs on weekends. i read a previous thread where you asked questions on rules and regulations on taking them in a container, any updates on the questions that you asked, also where will you guys be living in brisbane, as grant will be working in archerfield and so we would love to be close to the sea, but travelling timbe to work would probably take a while everyday.

keep in touch

michelle

• 4 weeks later...

heya - we planning on going to brisbase ASAP.

received our PR visa earlier in the year and did the whole LSD and validate visa thing and really loved brisbane. it was like being in SA considering all the SA's we met in the short stay there. we stayed in a suberb called north lakes and really loved it.

my wife has just given birth you our daughter and we now ned to apply for a vise for her.... not sure the details just yet buth hope this is not too lengthy a process.

Hi All

Been in Brisbane for just on a month now - getting to know our way around. You are all more that welcome to get hold of us when you get here ... send us a PM anytime with any questions and we will do our best to answer....

Just know its really really really hot and humid.. pack tons of short, vests and light summer clothes....

Cheers

L&K ;):ilikeit:

Hi

Also going to stay in Brisbane. North Lakes as well! Very nice suburb, we planning on getting there end 2010 or sooner!!!

Qualifications lodged with relevant councils and PR visa forms filled in waiting for a good result. Will lodge in the first moths of this year.

Joanne :ilikeit:

We are going to Brisbane in April-ish.......we are from Jhb, although we have been living on a small Caribbean Island for the last 8.5 years.....

We are undecided between Brisbane versus Gold Coast.....ideally we would like Gold Coast so that we can achieve some of the live balance we have had here, but work will dictate....

Hope to meet some of you when we are there !

Nix

Our PR app eventually gone in this last month....Now the waiting game....patience, patience, patience, I believe is the order of the day...

We have also not yet decided finally on a suburb.....somewhere....between gold coast and sunshine coast ....we have many friends all the way up the coast....work will dictate....I am going to start my own Handyman bussiness.... :ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:

Dirtbikerider be sure to give us your details as soon as you arrive! Handymen are few and far between!!

PS You'll love Bunnings!

I'll be sure and keep in touch...where do you guy's stay....which area...

hello everybody

So glad i found this site , we moved to Brisbane in October 2008 from JHB and are really enjoying it besides missing the family alot.

One of our friends suggested we look at the brisbane holiday village for temp accomodation it suited the four of us perfectly

really close to shops, bus routes, has a pool which is essential here. it was a great start.

If I were to give any advise to a family coming over it would be pack your container to the brim FULL FULL and bring everything.

you don't want to be replacing things you had when you get here it's in dollars and very expensive.

Buy enough clothing for you and your kids, and if they are young buy bigger sizes for as they get older and shoes for the kids.

how i miss Ackermans and Mr Price

The medication you get over the couter in SA is far better than the medication you get here, basically all medication here needs a script.

We stay in Kenmore which is close enough to the city and really beautiful remind me so much of Pinetown it's lovely.

The people here are very friendly and helpful so it makes the change a little easier.

With us coming over on a 457 visa we thought we would need the AA international drivers license but you don't and we only have to do a drivers test when we apply for perminent resisdence but your SA license is valid while here for the full time unless it expires.

The one thing that does take some getting used to is the brands of groceries that we buy at home are not here so to figure out which to

buy is a task but hey it's all an adventure.

If anyone does have any questions you are more than welcome to drop me a mail.

have fun

Tracey

• 2 weeks later...

It is great to see how many are going to Brisbane - we can almost start our own small suburb.

My wife is a CA and I’m an attorney working in the construction industry. We got our PR Visa early Dec and are booking to visit Gold Coast/Brisbane 22 Apr – 1 May for a LSD. We will be staying in Surfers Paradise. It will be great if we can meet up with someone. Can anyone suggest which suburbs to look at (we are still uncertain if we will settle in Gold Coast or Brisbane).

Hope to meet some of you soon.

Hi there

I can't say that i am any expert on Area's but to be honest they all look really nice. Surfers Paradise is stunning my friend stays there and loves it.

She has been there about three years is from the UK but says she is home. She will never go back or move from Surfers Paradise.

We stay in Kenmore/Fig Tree Pocket and it is lovely, very pretty and lush green plants alot like Pinetown.

To me once you see the Gold Coast you will love it work wise and oppertunity wise Brisbane is better for us at the moment.

I would love to meet up for coffee, I'll send you a PM closer to your arrival date.

Have fun

Tracey

Hi there

I can't say that i am any expert on Area's but to be honest they all look really nice. Surfers Paradise is stunning my friend stays there and loves it.

She has been there about three years is from the UK but says she is home. She will never go back or move from Surfers Paradise.

We stay in Kenmore/Fig Tree Pocket and it is lovely, very pretty and lush green plants alot like Pinetown.

To me once you see the Gold Coast you will love it work wise and oppertunity wise Brisbane is better for us at the moment.

I would love to meet up for coffee, I'll send you a PM closer to your arrival date.

Have fun

Tracey

Tracey;

Thanks for the advice. We look forward to meeting you for a coffee.

Jacques,

do yourself a favour when you are there and catch the train up to Sunshine Coast for the day....you won't be sorry...verry similar to margate or Port Shepston only much more modern and serious growth going on.....very modern and big university there in the quite spaces....and excelent bus and train service....nice beaches all accessible with public transport...

H.

Surfers Paradise is my least favorite place on the Gold Coast ( and I live here)

It's ok during the day, but when the sun goes down the nightclubbers appear(especially FRI and SAT). And this goes on until 5 o'clock the next morning.

For a holiday accommodation it is fine, but thats it.

I hope you will hire a car so you can really see the Gold Coast.

PM me closer to the time and we can meet for a coffee.

Surfers Paradise is my least favorite place on the Gold Coast ( and I live here)

It's ok during the day, but when the sun goes down the nightclubbers appear(especially FRI and SAT). And this goes on until 5 o'clock the next morning.

For a holiday accommodation it is fine, but thats it.

I hope you will hire a car so you can really see the Gold Coast.

PM me closer to the time and we can meet for a coffee.

Thanks you guys for the advice. We plan to hire a car to look at the suburbs more inland as well as north of Gold Coast. I will definitely follow your advice Dirtbikerider. We will also drive through to Brisbane to look and some suburbs (however, I’m leaning towards Gold Coast as it seems that the construction industry is booming there).

We will certainly spend some time relaxing and site seeing as well and we will enjoy meeting with you (Tracey, Queensland Girl etc).

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all we are going to Brisbane....in the not to distant future....just paid our agent in Brisbane and PR visa about to be lodged.

We are interested in meeting with others who are also going to Brisbane.

No need to be from JHB.

We all going to the same area, so the sooner we meet the better.

Hopefully we can get a bunch together soon.

DBR

Hi DBR

So glad we found this website. We are going to Brisbane this year. Been waiting for months for finalisation and finally had our medicals this week. Hubby will probably go on ahead when visas come thru and I will follow around November 2009 with kids. Going on a 457. Our family are into dirt bike riding, so we looking forward to meeting everyone for coffee on Saturday 7th. Been very stressful and up in the air for almost a year now. Good to know that everyone is going through same or similar stuff. Be really cool to meet and share the emotions, anticipation and excitement. :D

I grew up in JHB and now we live on the Gold Coast. (Northern end) It is a great place to live, especially if you have children. Lots to do!!! Wish you all the best in your BIG move. :D

Hi all,

we are planning on settling on the gold coast, should be there on our PR VISA near the end of 2009 (hopefully)

my brother recently immigrated and is staying in a suburb on the gold coast called Carrara.... says its quiet and beautiful.

not too far from sufers paradise. lots of entertainment and family orientated community.

thats where we will be going.

if anyone wants to PM me for me info, please do so

look forward to chatting further-

Jackie

Thanks jaclyn, I'm also going or rather looking at queensland / brisbane, I like the city life more than the out doorsy stuff. If you could give some info on the state of inner city life it would be good.

thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Nice to see all the people that are going to or are in Brisbane. We are from Benoni. Our application is about halfway through and we are hoping to be there late 2009.

We are looking at settling on the Sunshine Coast. The area of Buderim, Maroochydore, Caloundra.

Does anyone have any comments on the area?

Hi guys,

Nice to see all the people that are going to or are in Brisbane. We are from Benoni. Our application is about halfway through and we are hoping to be there late 2009.

We are looking at settling on the Sunshine Coast. The area of Buderim, Maroochydore, Caloundra.

Does anyone have any comments on the area?

I prefer the north coast to Gold Coast. We live north west of Brisbane but I could move to the areas you are going to. Problem is I work very near the airport so that wont happen. We discovered there are many South Africans west of Brisbane, Albany Creek is no exeption

My husband and I are going to Brisbane in April for a LSD/holiday, he has family in Kenmore with who we will be staying. I cannot wait we are counting the weeks, soon we will be counting the days. We have made arrangements to meet a few people we were at school with that are now living in Brisbane. We are only there for 2 weeks so we will be very busy I am sure. Can anybody tell me what the weather is like there in mid April?

We have decided not to start the visa process before we have done this LSD.

Hi

For those of you already in the Brisbane area, Sabona (www.sabona.com.au) is holding a coffee club on March 13.

Details are as follows:

Sabona Brisbane South Coffee Club

Date: Friday 13th March 2009

Venue: Emeal's Cafe -- Level 2, Westfield Garden City, close to cinemas and library, corner Kessels & Logan Road, Mt Gravatt

Time: 10am to 11.30am

Cost: Order your own tea/coffee and cake/muffins etc

Details: RSVP Cheryl cheryl@sabona.com.au.

This is the first coffee club get together in Brisbane South for anyone who'd like to meet new people, sit down and chat with fellow South Africans (and perhaps some Australians too) and just enjoy a cuppa. Feel free to bring children.

If you are yet to arrive please look us up when you do.

Cheers,

Cheryl

My husband and I are going to Brisbane in April for a LSD/holiday, he has family in Kenmore with who we will be staying. I cannot wait we are counting the weeks, soon we will be counting the days. We have made arrangements to meet a few people we were at school with that are now living in Brisbane. We are only there for 2 weeks so we will be very busy I am sure. Can anybody tell me what the weather is like there in mid April?

We have decided not to start the visa process before we have done this LSD.

Found this in another thread very helpful with weather and locations.

http://www.bom.gov.au/

http://www.livingin-australia.com/

DBR.