Forum suggestion

Jordy

Question

Hi Hendie and hosts,

I find it particularly helpful to know what visa class members are applying for and was wondering if there was anyway to add this option on the member's details that appear on the left of their respective posts. I was thinking if in the same box as where it says,

"Posts: xxx

Member No.: xxx

Landed: xxx

SA Location: xxx

Language: xxx" etc

we could add

"Visa class: xxx"

Although one could add it in some other section of the personal profile, it would only be visible when I deliberatly clicked to see their profile, and that is too much deviation."

I do not know how much change Hendie is capable of making within the limits of the software. but this kind of detail would be more helpful than knowing a member's joining number for example.

I know that we could stick this kind of info in the signature but it would be preferable to be on the left of the posts. A quick glance would help when responding to a person's post.

Could you give this some thought please?

Kind regards

Jordy

19 answers to this question

Good idea Jordy...

At least we dont always have to ask what visa is being applied for....

Jordy, that is inspired thinking!! :wacko:

Your comment in particular about being able to respond to the persons post correctly is very valid, I have seen many threads where people post there questions and almost always one of the first responses is what visa are you applying for?

Agreed - brilliant idea Jordy!

Not all of us are as organised as Mrs Martiz in keeping track of people's application progress :rolleyes: (Thanks for your efforts Mrs M)

I spend more time trying to find people's posts to remember who they are, what and when they applied for it.....

And I must say I for one never pay much attention to the info currently on the left, but do avidly read the signatures - it would be far easier to have it in a consistent view.

I also like this idea, because I do a lot of reading of this forum from my cellphone and it is difficult to "be organised" just by using the cellphone! :ilikeit: Don't know how I got it right to type in my Visa type where it specifies if you are a Rookie/Junier/Member/Golden Member......

Maybe they could also reduce the amount of information displayed on the left, like Language and Member No is not really that important (not to me anyway). The shorter the list on the left side is, the easier it is for me scroll on my cellphone.

While we are suggesting, can I just suggest one more thing: is there a way that the sticky notes can be combined - especially in the Immigration/General section. The sticky notes take up more than half the page, and - again - it's difficult to scroll through that whole list on your cellphone.

Thank you!!

Thanks Mrs. Maritz,

You idea works very well. I changed my "Custom title" in "Edit Personal Profile" in "My controls".

Edited by Jordy

Thanks Mrs Maritz and Jordy

I have just done the same-makes it so much easier than having to trawl through previous posts to find out what visa type someone is on or ask the question over and over.

Good on you both!

AndreaL

The host team is looking at it, but it all depends on the do-ability and has to be run by Hendie first. Good idea! :ilikeit:

OK, our esteemed leader, Hendie, has agreed to amend the profile view with either a text field or a drop down list of visa types. If he uses the drop down list then we need to give him all the valid visa types as well as decide how much of the visa information to show, i.e. do you need to see the full name of the visa, or just the number, or the number with a contraciton of the name and differentiating between PR and Temp?

So far I've found the following on the immi website:

Temporary Business Long Stay – Standard Business Sponsorship (subclass 457)

Subclass 422 - Medical Practitioner (Temporary) visa & Educational visa (subclass 418)

Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 121/856)

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 119/857)

Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 121/856)

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 119/857)

Skilled - Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175)

Skilled - Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)

Skilled - Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 475)

Skilled - Recognised Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 476)

Skilled - Independent (Residence) visa (subclass 885)

Skilled - Sponsored (Residence) visa (subclass 886)

Skilled - Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887)

Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 485)

Skilled - Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 487)

Provisional Business Skills visas (160, 161, 162)

Provisional State/Territory Sponsored Business Skills visas (163, 164, 165)

Business Talent/Established Business visas (132, 845, 846)

Permanent Business Owner/Investor visas (890, 892, 891, 893)

Investor Retirement visa (subclass 405)

Independent Executive Further Application Onshore (457 IEFAO)

Distinguished Talent visa (Offshore) (subclass 124) & Distinguished Talent visa (Onshore) (subclass 858)

Domestic Worker (Diplomatic/Consular) visa (subclass 426)

Domestic Worker (Executive) visa (subclass 427)

Exchange visa (subclass 411)

Entertainment visa (subclass 420)

Foreign Government Agency visa (subclass 415)

Medical Treatment Short Stay visa (subclass 675)

Medical Treatment Long Stay visa (subclass 685)

Media and Film Staff visa (subclass 423)

Religious Worker visa (subclass 428)

Retirement visa (subclass 410)

Investor Retirement visa (subclass 405)

Special Programs visa (subclass 416)

Sport visa (subclass 421)

Visiting Academic visa (Subclass 419)

Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300)

Spouse Temporary Visa (Subclass 309) and Permanent Visa (Subclass 100)

Interdependency Temporary Visa (Subclass 310) and Permanent Visa (Subclass 110)

Spouse temporary visa (subclass 820) and permanent visa (subclass 801)

Parent (Migrant) visa (subclass 103)

Aged Parent (Residence) visa (subclass 804)

Contributory Parent (Migrant) visa (subclass 143)

Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173)

Contributory Parent (Migrant) visa (from subclass 173 to subclass 143)

Contributory Aged Parent (Residence) visa (subclass 864)

Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884)

Contributory Aged Parent (Residence) visa (from subclass 884 to subclass 864)

Child (Permanent) (Subclass 101)

Orphan Relative (Permanent) (Subclass 117)

Adoption (Permanent) (Subclass 102)

Dependent Child Visa (Subclass 445)

Child (Permanent) (Subclass 802) $2105

Orphan Relative (Permanent) (Subclass 837)

Remaining Relative Visa (Offshore) (Subclass 115)

Aged Dependent Relative (Subclass 114)

Carer Visa (Offshore) (Subclass 116)

New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship Visa (Subclass 461) (Temporary)

Remaining Relative (Subclass 835) (Permanent)

Aged Dependent Relative (Subclass 838) (Permanent)

Carer (Subclass 836) (Permanent)

New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship Visa (Subclass 461) (Temporary)

Anyone have any ideas / any additions etc is welcome to add them here....

C'Lou

I think a text field would better in the longer term as the visa types are constantly being reviewed and changed.

Holy Moly CindyLou, thats a lot of different visas. At first thought I would go for the drop down menu, but I feel for Hendie having to type all those in when writing the program. However, if he doesnt mind doing it, then the benefit I can see of a drop down list as opposed to "type anything you like" is uniformity. If it is drop down, then because of the sheer volume of visas a short description and number would be best. I think we could fit 32 characters in the side menu, so perhaps as obvious a description as the space allows would be best. For example: "175: Independent" or "121: ENS offshore" "856: ENS onshore" and so on.

PS: Thanks Hendie for agreeing. I think this will be quite helpful in the long run.

EDIT: Put number first so easy to find in list and all less than 32 characters

100: Perm Spouse

101: Perm Child offshore

102: Perm Adoption onshore

103: Parent Migrant

110: Perm Interdependency

114: Aged Dependent Relative

115: Remaining Relative Visa Offshore

116: Carer Visa

117: Perm Orphan Relative offshore

119: RSMS offshore

121: ENS offshore

124: Disting Talent visa Offshore

132: Bus Talent / Estab Bus

143: Contributory Parent Migrant

160: Provisional Bus Skills

161: Provisional Bus Skills

162: Provisional Bus Skills

163: Prov State Spons Bus Skill

164: Prov State Spons Bus Skill

165: Prov State Spons Bus Skill

173: Temp Contributory Parent

175: Skilled Independent

176: Skilled Spons Indep

300: Prospective Marriage

309: Temp Spouse

310: Temp Interdependency

405: Investor Retirement

405: Investor Retirement

410: Retirement

411: Exchange

415: Foreign Government Agency

416: Special Programs

418: Med Pract Educ

419: Visiting Academic

420: Entertainment

421: Sport

422: Temp Med Pract

423: Media and Film Staff

426: Domestic Worker

427: Exec Domestic Worker

428: Religious Worker

445: Dependent Child

457 IEFAO: Independent Exec

457: Temp Bus Long Stay

461: NZ Citizen Family Relationship

461: NZ Citizen Family Relationship

475: Skilled Reg Spons

476: Temp Recognised Grad

485: Temp Skilled Graduate

487: Skilled Reg Spons Prov

675: Medical Treat Short Stay

685: Medical Treat Long Stay

801: Perm Spouse

802: Perm Child

804: Aged Parent Residence

820: Temp Spouse

835: Perm Remaining Relative

836: Perm Carer

837: Perm Orphan Relative

838: Aged Dependent Relative

845: Bus Talent / Estab Bus

846: Bus Talent / Estab Bus

856: ENS onshore

857: RSMS onshore

858: Disting Talent visa Onshore

864: Contributory Aged Parent

884: Temp Contrib Aged Parent

885: Skilled Independent Resid

886: Skilled Sponsored Residence

887: Skilled Regional Residence

890: Perm Bus Owner/Investor

891: Perm Bus Owner/Investor

892: Perm Bus Owner/Investor

893: Perm Bus Owner/Investor

Edited by Jordy

OK, our esteemed leader, Hendie, has agreed to amend the profile view with either a text field or a drop down list of visa types. If he uses the drop down list then we need to give him all the valid visa types as well as decide how much of the visa information to show, i.e. do you need to see the full name of the visa, or just the number, or the number with a contraciton of the name and differentiating between PR and Temp?

Wow Cindylou - your research is impressive. :ph34r:

For sake of simplicity, we could perhaps have ONLY the visa subclass number e.g. 175 etc. on its own. This will save space. In addition, if someone really wanted to know what visa it is (i.e. want more specific detail), they could easily just type in the relevant visa subclass number ('175', '176', '457', etc.) in the 'search' box on DIAC's site - www.immi.gov.au - which would take them to that specific visa subclass number's details & full name.

The visa subclass numbers and names are set to change again in future (like pre- 1 Sept 2007 vs. post 1 Sept 2007).

In the end, I think Hendie shoudl decide what's most user-friendly & most practical for the forum.

Thanks for adding it!

Edit: PS: I also like Jordy's list!

Edited by kangaroo

I want to suggest the following. Instead of having a drop down list, can't you just give guidelines as to what must be entered in that field. BECAUSE:

1. Some people subscribe to the forum when they just start thinking about emigration and have no clue for what visa they are going to apply for.

2. It would be very nice to also see where in the process everybody else is. For example "175 Visa Granted" or "176 Applied" or "175 Preparation" or something like that....

And then I also still think, instead of the Language, rather have a question like "Are you using an Agent?" Instead of the date joined, let the people put in their Application date. This type of information will be more useful to us, because those are the type of questions everybody asks you! If they still want to check somebody's language or date joined, they can go to their profiles. I think it would be nice to see more visa-related items on that left pane.

Sjoe Cindylou, I've always knew there are quite a lot of visa types, but when you see the list typed out like that, you just realise there is a visa type for almost everybody! I've once read on the immi website about the costs for the Sport and Entertainment visas! The DIAC actually makes quite a lot of money with the Super 14 and Springbok (Protea) rugby games!

Edited by Mrs Maritz

OK - Jordy, I am holding you accountable for opening this can of worms! :lol:

I want to suggest the following. Instead of having a drop down list, can't you just give guidelines as to what must be entered in that field. BECAUSE:

1. Some people subscribe to the forum when they just start thinking about emigration and have no clue for what visa they are going to apply for.

2. It would be very nice to also see where in the process everybody else is. For example "175 Visa Granted" or "176 Applied" or "175 Preparation" or something like that....

While a drop down list would be more work for Hendie to set up (and maintain as K'Roo pointed out) I think that the lack of uniformity (and resultant confusion) of a free text field would eventually render it redundant. How about we stick to a drop down list as Jordy has prepared as an optional field? I would also suggest we edit the list to add TR or PR as a suffix to each number and remove the word Perm.

And then I also still think, instead of the Language, rather have a question like "Are you using an Agent?" Instead of the date joined, let the people put in their Application date. This type of information will be more useful to us, because those are the type of questions everybody asks you! If they still want to check somebody's language or date joined, they can go to their profiles. I think it would be nice to see more visa-related items on that left pane.

Personally I prefer to see the date joined straight away. As soon as you remove it people will probably start to ask you when you joined! Having got my visa over a year ago I'm probably out of touch with the whole "visa" thing, now I'm counting the days to Citizenship. I find that things like where you're from, where you are now, when you landed and when you joined the forum are way more important to me than "are you using an agent".

There are a number of external websites and we have our own timeline site for members to track and monitor each other's progress in the visa process - once again we risk making these redundant or our profiles cumbersome (perhaps a case of reinventing the wheel). If you wish to add further information the detailed profile is probably the best place to put it.

OK - Jordy, I am holding you accountable for opening this can of worms! :thumbdown:

While a drop down list would be more work for Hendie to set up (and maintain as K'Roo pointed out) I think that the lack of uniformity (and resultant confusion) of a free text field would eventually render it redundant. How about we stick to a drop down list as Jordy has prepared as an optional field? I would also suggest we edit the list to add TR or PR as a suffix to each number and remove the word Perm.

Hi All,

With the 'drop down' list, would we be able to multi select? Eg: 175 MODL, plus 457 (until RR comes thru).

I see that some forumites have their visa class just under their avatar. How do you get that right? I tried to change it in my settings by entering text in the "custom member signature", but it keeps complaining about filling in all the required fields (which I DID!)

Any advice?

Ok. I managed to sort it out. I filled in ALL the fields, which it then accepted. I then went back and removed some info which I didn't want displayed, and it was quite happy with that. And to think I've been in IT for 17 years! :lol: