Australian police clearance

zana

Hi all

We are busy getting everything ready for our PR application. I received a form from the South African high commission in Canberra regarding obtaining Police Clearance from South Africa. On the form they stated that we have to get our fingerprints done at our local police station and mail the forms +R60 pp to JHB.

We went to the police station to do the fingerprints, but apparently they do not take your fingerprints down without doing Aus. police clearance also. I would just like to know if anyone else had had to do this and if the police officer understood me correctly (that I just wanted them to put my fingerprints on the form). We don't have anything to hide just do not want to pay AUD$520.00 if it is not absolutely necessary.

Hope someone can help.

Thank you :D

Hi Zana

I remember reading on the immi.gov website under police clearance that if you lived in any country for more than a year in the last ten years you need police clearance for everyone of those countries.

I think you will in anycase be needing police clearance in Australia cause you have been here for more than a year :D

Hi Serileen, Skies man ek het skoonvergeet jy het dit mos laas vir my gese. Ek het ook by bunniehop gaan kyk, hulle is inelkgeval baie duurder as die "High Commission" en jy moet steeds die $520 betaal(Bunniehop vereis ook afdrukke) want die polisie vat nie jou afdrukke sonder om Police Clearance te doen nie.

When we started our PR process we were in Perth already and we took our SA police clearance form to our local police station and they did our fingerprints (for free). Then it all got lost and we went back to the same police station and they did it for us again(for free) on Oz forms which we just mailed to SA and police clearance was done. Both times they just took our fingerprints and gave us the forms, they never insisted on doing Oz clearance as well.

Last month we had our Oz pol clearance done cause we've been here for longer than 12 months and immigration wanted our Australian federal pol clearance. We again went to police station, but they only do national clearance ($42/p). For federal clearance you need to download a form and mail to NSW. Cost is about $30 odd/p and takes about 2 weeks. No fingerprints needed for federal clearance. You just fill in name DOB etc.

If anyone wants the exact details of where to mail, I can get it from my husband.

Hope this helps

Hi Lindy-Lee , U just made my day :) I thought this was going to be a nightmare. I checked on the federal police website and downloaded the form (1101). It's $36pp and seem pretty straight forward, the mail addie is also on the form. I will just have to go to the police station again to request the fingerprints for SA Police Clearance. Maybe the officer that helped me the first time was just a Rookie :D

Thanks again.

Zana

just another tip dependeing on how urgent you need it.... we sent our forms off with platinum express mail but we also included another express mail adressed to ourselves from them to send it back in. Saves alot of time. We got money orders from post office as payment.

I f you can handle getting SA pol clearance the Oz federal is nothing! :D

Glad I could make your day and help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lindy-Lee, seems you are lucky in Perth as to not having to pay for the fingerprints I have contacted 5 different police stations here in Sydney even though the price has "somehow" dropped dramatically since the first time I enquired it is now $40 to take fingerprints <_<