Labor Law

niemeerhier

Is the labor law more flexible in Aus? I read here that some woman got fired for being pregnant? In South Africa you will not be able to do this unless you are willing to end up in big doo doo. We have been dragged to the CCMA twice already and we can thank our lucky stars we could get a reasonable settlement.

Labour laws in Australia are not more flexible, but you get employers pushing the limits on a daily basis, often just because they have no idea about what the law requires. Also, often the employees do not know what their rights are and just accept the employer's decision.

Labour laws in Australia are not more flexible, but you get employers pushing the limits on a daily basis, often just because they have no idea about what the law requires. Also, often the employees do not know what their rights are and just accept the employer's decision.

I agree with Mara on this. My husband has had cause to dismiss 2 employees since we have been here. He is really good with HR and IR, no choice really as those are my majors and I have "tutored" him over the years. :unsure:

On both occasions the employees expressed surprise at how professionally and fairly they were treated, apparently a first in disciplinary action in their experience. This could just be in this company, or even this section of the company though.

The labour laws here seem really fair though, and offer very good protection to employees. Unions are very strong here, and it seems that only management level are "unprotected" to a certain extent.

zorba

:lol: