Is Sydney the place to be?

SANZOZ

Hi there

My husband may possibly be offered a position in Sydney soon. I would just like to know from those that are there, are you happy? Do you think you would stay in Sydney or eventually move away? If we do end up moving there, we would definitely like to get together. We are currently in NZ and we have a support system here but we will not have anyone in Sydney. We do have friends and family in Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth.

We are from PE but we do enjoy the big city life and being able to go out for supper on a whim and take a drive somewhere and see beautiful sights. We like being in a place where there is a lot to do basically.... but we also plan on starting a family. Is Sydney a good place to raise kids?

Thanks!!

Hi SANZOZ,

I have been here for 5 days now, and have been job hunting 18 hours a day at first. So I am not the most qualified to talk, but here is my answer so far:

I stay with friends in Wahroonga in Sydney North and yesterday evening I went for a walk in the woods. At 19H30 I was still walking - thinking of Knysna / TstitsiKama as it was a wet & rainy day. It is absolutely beautifull. My kids will love it. On the way to the city I saw a mother with 3 toddlers in the park / woods alone. The kids were having a ball.

We also stayed in PE for years and then move to JHB and loved it. At least you know that things happen in the big cities.

I guess when it gets to normal day-to-day activitied its routine as normal as in any place, traffic can be bad, etc. Sydney just strikes me as a wonderful place with history, cultures, and overall good weather for the kids. It seems to depend also on where you stay and where you work as is the case in JHB & Pretoria.

We were looking at Melbourne, but having smaller kids decided against it. The schools have been rated as very good by the forumites, and the northern suburbs looks like a nice place to stay.

Nothing against Perth, but like the friends say, if you have lived in Sydney then its hard to move elsewhere. They have stayed in both Sydney & Perth.

In the end it boils down to your personnal needs and experiences - check the cities out personnaly if you can.

Cheers,

DKH

Edited by DKH

Hi there

Yes, yes, yes. Sydney is amazing and i will never leave. The city itself is clean and incredible but the suburbs are just so bushy and there are tons of parks and you won't feel like you are in a big city at all. There is sooo much for kids to do and the people are friendly also. We came to Sydney because thats were work sent us and although i am sure every state is lovely we know that we will have plenty of choices jobwise should we ever decide to change career paths or companies.

We stay on the upper northshore and as DKH says people walk at all times of the day and night and there are tons of kids around bike riding etc.

Obviously Sydney is expensive but I pretty much think the whole world is right now and you learn to adjust and bite the bullet, small price to pay for the freedom and stress free life we lead.

Good Luck

S

Hi SANZOZ

Sydney is a great choice, but then so is Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Cairns, Hobart, Gold Coast, Perth etc. - it all depends on what you want, prefer and, most importantly, what you make of the city/town you choose to live in. What's a right/wrong fit for one person will not necessarily be a right/wrong fit for someone else.

Also have a look at: Which City to Choose?

I'd say that if you have a good job offer in Sydney, go for it! (even though, judging purely by the wording on its motor number plates, Victoria is technically speaking "the place to be" :ilikeit: )

Edited by kangaroo

Hi there

My husband may possibly be offered a position in Sydney soon. I would just like to know from those that are there, are you happy? Do you think you would stay in Sydney or eventually move away? If we do end up moving there, we would definitely like to get together. We are currently in NZ and we have a support system here but we will not have anyone in Sydney. We do have friends and family in Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth.

We are from PE but we do enjoy the big city life and being able to go out for supper on a whim and take a drive somewhere and see beautiful sights. We like being in a place where there is a lot to do basically.... but we also plan on starting a family. Is Sydney a good place to raise kids?

Thanks!!

Hi,

I can just agree on all the replies you already got!!

Sydney is indeed a great city to live in, although as somebody else said, a little expensive.

We would never choose another place - there is so much to explore and do, I think most born Sydneysiders didn't see half of it in their life time! So don't think twice - this is THE place to be - we live in Lane Cove by the way - north shore area is great.

Can't comment on the kid-thing though, we don't have any!

Hi Sandoz ,

We had originally decided to live in Perth, but after looking at jobs etc. and various other investigations, we have decided that Sydney will be better from a work point of view .I also feel that after having grown up in Jhb that Perth would be too "small" for us.I have a lot of friends in Perth from Jhb that are very happy ,I just don't think I would be ! It depends on you, although Perth is beautiful and a lot cheaper we still prefer Sydney .We are feeling a bit (a lot!) apprehensive .We fly on the 1st of Jan ( I know……….. hangovers and all that !!) but the flights were cheap !

I am looking at living in Mosman ,Cremorne,Cammeray ,Clovelley .We have rented a furnished flat in Mosman so will update you once we are there.I spent a lot of time on goggle earth and the other sites looking at all the areas ...

wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sydney_suburbs - 104k

goaustralia.about.com

www.sourceofsydney.com

Have fun

All the best

D.

LOL Donne - the name is SANZOZ as is SA to NZ to OZ :) But Sandoz sounds Mexican and exotic :)

Just an update. My husband was offered the job. They are willing to pay for us to relocate from NZ to Sydney and we would go on a 457 visa. Can anyone think of a reason why this would be a bad idea? We currently have PR in NZ. Is it a scary thought to be on a 457 or can we feel secure?

Congrats on the job coming over on a job is always a bonus. Its difficult in the current climate to make predictions but skills are in demand and if the company is willing to get you over I don't think there should be too many problems. I might be wrong but arn't NZ PR entitled to work and live in Aus anyway? If so you can't be sent packing if the company should have problems and you loose the job?

Sydney is great and if you can get the LAFHA that will help financially also. Obviously coming from NZ the houses here wont' be that much of a shock to the system and I am sure you are used to doing your own housework etc and won't suffer the same degree of homesickness that alot of saffers have who are fresh off the boat from SA.

Please shout if we can help in any way.

S

Yeah the homesickness thing is not really an issue for me, and I am getting used to (not loving...) the housework thing. We are just trying to figure out whether we should move again right now or just stick it out here for a while. The rain has been affecting us, but perhaps we would get used to it.

You cant go over to Oz with NZ PR, only with citizenship, which takes 5 years from getting PR.

I think we would be fine settling anywhere. We just need to know what kind of salary is considered decent enough to live a good life in Sydney. We feel that the offer could have been for more, considering we will be uprooting for the second time in the space of 4 months, and we are researching what other ERP solutions architects earn. Does anyone have a range that they would say would be a confortable life? I know its a subjective thing.... but any information would be good.

LOL Donne - the name is SANZOZ as is SA to NZ to OZ ;) But Sandoz sounds Mexican and exotic :)

Ah blonde moment -ROLF! so now my name for you will forever be Sandoz !

Well after declining the offer, they came back with more options that are making it difficult to say no. And they have offered to fly us to Sydney for the weekend to check it out :rolleyes: So move over people!!

Is Sydney the place to be .... YEAH BABY YEAH!!!!! Arrived here on my own 8 months ago! Is AWESOME AWESOME AWSOME!!!! Met the most fabulous people, have a wonderful job with fantastic prospects and just can't get enough of this place! VIIIIIIIIIVAAAAAAAA SYDNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats great to hear! I doubt seriously we will have time to meet up with anyone while we are in sydney on the weekend but I would definitely like to hear more opinions. What is the DOWN side of Sydney?

Hi SANZOZ,

I recently met a lovely family, just moved from NZ to Aus. Also PR in Aus, 457 here. They are loving it here, and say the weather and the money is much better in Aus.

The only thing they were not expecting (and it's a BIGGIE!) was to pay school fees. NSW and ACT are the only places you have to pay school fees on a 457. If possible, negotiate something into your package, or insist that they sponsor you for PR immediately.

We are in the same boat as them wrt fees, but still wouldn't leave Sydney for anything!

Good luck with your decision. We look forward to meeting you!

zorba

:rolleyes:

Hi there

Thanks!!

Rather go to Brisbane. Always rather go where you have family (if you have family in Oz). We are so dispersed already, when you move to Oz, it is better to move closer to family again, rather than apart. Oz is a big place. Perth, Brisbane and Sydney are so far apart it is like living in Cape Town, Windhoek and Zanzibar...almost different parts of Africa if you understand what I mean. Australia has an entire continent for themselves. One needs friends and family VERY MUCH so rather move to where the family is.. Pick Brisbane...it also has beautiful sights, better weather and probably more houses than Sydney. Perth is probably too quiet.

Hi zorba, that sounds great. We dont have kids so we dont have to worry about the school fees thing, and by the time we have kids we would most definitely be on PR already. The company has included it in the contract that they will assist us in getting PR, but by the calculation we did it makes a lot of sense to try to stay on the 457 a little while first!!

Hi Swerver, we have friends that will be moving to Sydney within the next year or so. We make friends very easily and for now it is more than enough to know we can fly to Melbs to visit family. I have lived in countries far away from home before so it isnt as much of a factor. What I meant by a support system is just friends that we have known since before we left SA.

The choice is not really for which city right now. Either we take the job in Sydney or we stay in Auckland. It wasnt something we were actively seeking out. But the weather thing is a huge attraction :ilikeit:

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on this thread. We went to Sydney for the weekend last week and we loved it. Granted, we were put up in Darling Harbour so we saw a very touristy area but we drove around quite a bit and got to see the houses (look so much more like SA houses than the ones in NZ do) and got to see Manly, Balmoral and a couple of residential areas.

Long story short - we are moving to Sydney next month!! :ilikeit:

Hi Sandoz ! ( SANZOZ)

Congrats on your choice !

We will be there on the 2nd of Jan ....can't wait ...staying in Mosman - a short walk to Balmoral beach !

D .

• 3 weeks later...

well done Sanzoz

We were in OZ in March this year (LSD trip).We visited Perth ,Melbourne and Sydney.I fell in love with Sydney .Its green its beautiful.I do love the most Manly and Northern Beaches .We hope to be there end of next year(2009) .Would love to meet you all.

Branka :blink:

Hubby is currently there on a business trip. He also can't stop raving about the city :blink: He says you can barely see the buildings for the trees.

Hi SANZOZ,

Congrats on your decision!

You will love Sydney and there will be so much to do seeing as you're still BC (before children!). Having kids changes your focus wrt entertainment that's for sure...especially if you're night owls!

Swerwer, I see you're sitting on my doorstep, just noticed your address now...Eish, there's an African on my stoep!

zorba

:)