What to do until the container arrives?

Henn

Hi,

I am arriving in Sydney on 9th Nov. I will be looking for rental house asap in the Hills area. My wife & kids will only arrive a few months later. In the mean time, how do you live while waiting for the container to arrive? Do you guys sometimes borrow a couch here and a bed there?

Hi JohannH,

Your best bet is to call Radio Rentals on 131 181. This number will then allow you to connect to your closest branch, just have your local post code ready to punch into the phone!

Radio rentals have all types of furniture and appliances, but not kitchen smalls like pots and utensils. They are really cheap if you take a long "lease" on the stuff, a bit more expensive if you rent just month to month. For example, we took a small dining table with 4 chairs, 2 queen beds, 2 bedside tables, a TV and and TV cabinet. This cost us $421.77pm and includes a $25 arrangement fee, delivery and collection. You can even pay COD.

If you can provide 3 references (maybe your new company, immigration agent, a colleague or a friend) then you do not pay a damages deposit. The deposit is usually the same as your monthly rental.

The beds we got were not wonderful, but they are at least steam-cleaned between each client. Inexpensive linen can be found at K-Mart or target until your good stuff arrives.

Hope this helps!

zorba

:lol:

Hi

We were lucky enough to stay with a colleague of hubby who offered us accommodation at their house. We lived there for 1 and a half weeks, in which time we found a rental, and moved in. They borrowed their little bar fridge to us, plus camping mattresses and bedding. The mattresses didn't really do the job, as we woke up each morning on the floor. Hubby bought 3 new matresses for us, a queeen for us, and two single for the kids, and the new ones are great. Now we have them for camping in future. We are also using their garden set for a dining room, and we are using their mattress for a lounge suite. It seems to stay inflated longer when we sit or lie in front of the TV. We bought a little TV for the kids, as we didn't bring theirs with, as it was very old and the quality was really bad, so we promised them a new one for their games, and we at least have a television to keep the kids entertained.

And that's it.

We bought a few essentials for the kitchen, and also borrowed some from friends. We bought a kettle from Big W for $8, because I cannot live without my tea and coffee. I really wish our container will arrive soon, but it may take another 3 - 4 weeks, so we are really camping. It can be done. You can hire furniture, but we tried different companies, and it's really expensive to do. We had to buy a washing machine, because ours was very old and broken, so at least washing isn't a problem.

I plan on putting everything I have double for the kitchen in a box, and when a new family arrives in Brisbane, they are welcome to have it, and just pass on again to a new family. The people we've met are really wonderful, and they just want to help and bring what you need, so don't worry, you'll be able to survive on the bare neccesities.

Have a look at Vinnies (St Vincent de Paul) second hand(charity operated) shops, you can get kitchen stuff, furniture at really good prices

You will be surprised and the money you will save

Good luck !

Hallo Johan!

My advies is dat jy nie onnodig geld moet spandeer om meubels en goed te huur nie, TENSY JY NATUURLIK IN OORVLOED HET!. Jy sal ongetwyfeld van die kritieke basiese dinge moet aanskaf, soos eetgerei, ketel, yskas ens ens.

Wat basise meubels ensovoorts aanbetref: Maak gebruik van al die goed wat mense uitgooi gedurende council clean up. Jy hoef maar net oor naweke en partykeer selfs gedurende die week so bietjie deur die woonbuurte te ry en jy sal sien daar is talle dinge wat jy tydelik kan benut. Party van die goed is goed genoeg om permanent te hou!

Onthou, jy is in n nuwe land en maak n nuwe begin - jy weet nie wat als voorlê nie en moet dus nie onnodig spandabelrig wees nie. Bêre maar so bietjie die trots en die ego, baie van ons het dit al gedoen. Meeste is net te skaam om dit te noem!

Wanneer jou "container" kom, dan gooi jy die optel goedjies weer uit vir iemand anders om te benut.

Keep it simple Mate!

• 2 weeks later...

Ag Ek het Poppie en Nick so mooi geleer. ;) Nick Ek is bly jy se die mensies om maar hulle trots so bietjie te vergeet. Nie almal kom na OZ met sakke volgeld om net weg te gooi. Daar is ook 'n website waar jy verniet goed kan kry www.freecycle.com.au, jy moet dit net gaan optel. Meeste van die goed is net te goed om weg te gooi. <_< PM as jylle vas hak dan kan ons mieskien help met 'n bakkie of trailer, dis as ons nie plaas toegaan vir die naweek nie. Ek het 'n paar goed wat julle kan leen vir 'n ruk, cane stolle en bank, ou TV en stand en eetgoed...

Edited by chester

• 2 months later...

Thanks everyone, the tips and offers were a big help!!!!

I have realised you can live with a lot less than you think. I have a few borrowed pots and pans, bought a second hand tv chair & flat screen tv, and rented a fridge from Radio rentals too keep the beers cold.

Thanks everyone, the tips and offers were a big help!!!!

I have realised you can live with a lot less than you think. I have a few borrowed pots and pans, bought a second hand tv chair & flat screen tv, and rented a fridge from Radio rentals too keep the beers cold.

Glad to hear you are sorted! Anything else you need just shout...

Glad to hear you are sorted! Anything else you need just shout...

HI Henn ,

Glad you are sorted .We had the same problem .We rented beds ,a small table and chairs ,desk ,washing machine and dryer from PABS - after much research they were the cheapest for us in Sydney - in case anyone else is looking !

I also bought the small basics from IKEA . I also found small tables to use as pedastals next to the beds for $6,at IKEA.We bought a fridge from BING LEE electrics, really cheaply as they have a January sale on ,and we do not have a fridge in our container ...this was also in the RHODES center where IKEA is .