Christian Churches recommended by members

Miss Piggy

Hillsong church is situated in Sydney. They have two campuses - one in Castle Hill (about an hours drive from city centre) and one in Waterloo (just a few minutes drive from city centre). We are members of the city campus. I'm not sure which campus sonnetjie is in, but will PM her and then she can tell you a bit more about the Hills campus if she is a member there.

Anyway, I can truely say without Hillsong the transition of moving to Oz would not have been so easy. The people are really friendly and if you want to you can find a very good support system within the church. They have a welcoming lounge for all the guests and what we did is to slot in at a connect group right from the start. What is also great is that they will not "push" you into becoming involve if you don't really want to, they leave it entirly up to you (so no pressure! ) I would suggest that you do become part of a connect group though - they are a great support for new arrivals and it's a great way to get to know some great Aussie people.

The city campus is quite multi-cultural and I would say that it is probably alot like rhema. I even think rhema might be more charismatic than Hillsong. They have about 6 services throughout the weekend and there is a Hillsong woman and men every Friday (great for some inspiration throughout the week) We also attend the childrens playgroup every Tuesday and my son really enjoys it - also a way to get to know some Aussie moms.

Brian and Bobbie Houston is the pastors of the church and I must say Bobbie has a real gift in preaching. He preaches in a calm and collective way and I have not experienced any "screaming preachers" at Hillsong (Just to say that I see nothing wrong with this way of preaching, but personally I'm not a fan of it.)

I realize now how diffcult it is to tell somoene what Hillsong is like, but basically it's full of wonderfull friendly loving people and a great way to become involved in the community and meet new people. If you have anything specific you would like to know, please let me know then I can elaborate on it. They also have a website where you can actually listen to some of Brians preaching - http://www2.hillsong.com/default.asp

Hope this has helped to give you bit of an idea, but please do not hesitate to mail if you have any more questions and hope to see you soon in Oz!

Springbok

We use to attend Rhema in South Africa before immigrating to Oz. Hillsong has been a real life line. It is excellent to be in a church where people really live what they speak. It is awesome to be part of church that is not inward looking, but outward looking in the sense that there is always room for one more at the table. Hillsong is very involved in the community continuously reaching out to all even to those that don’t attend the church. I personally see the church being like Jesus in overalls as it reaches out to all http://www2.hillsong.com/church/default.as...6&hidetitle=yes

I’m proud to be part of a church that is not so “ME” orientated, but wanting to build families, encourage Godly values helping people be the best they can be through Jesus.

I have been in Hillsong now for the past 12 years and I can truly say I have not looked back since joining them. The teaching in my opinion is excellent, it is Bible based, it is very practical and you can really apply it to you daily life. We have made some of our best friends through the church. The church is very multicultural and many immigrants attend the church, having the effect that people in general understand the different processes you go through as an immigrant. Hillsong has been family to us and really helped us to settle in and put our roots down in the community.

Immigrating is definitely not for sissies. When you leave your country of origin you often leave many a support structure behind. I have really seen how Hillsong has come along aside us and in many ways stepped into being that support structure, encouraging us to walk closer to God and also providing a practical helping hand when it is needed. Hillsong is not God so it is not perfect, but which church is ? Hillsong has been the best choice for our family. We like the way church is run things are done with so much integrity for example they have all the financial records and systems audited by KPMG annually http://www2.hillsong.com/church/default.asp?pid=15

Hillsong has really helped us integrate into Australia and become part of the community. It is one of the best places to meet people who have the same values as yourself. Often when immigrating the cultural difference can be very challenging in the sense that in the first few years you still learning to understand the unspoken rules of the culture and you cause yourself many an embarrassing moment. Being part of a church where the people have same values as you make such a difference.

One of the things I very much like about Hillsong is that the people aren’t just Sunday Christians they Monday to Sunday Christians the members really practice what they preach. You will go far in life to find a more generous, friendly, and welcoming and God fearing people. I really enjoy going to church I can’t wait to get there every weekend.

Hillsong is not very churchy in the sense if you don’t come from Christian background or church going background you can still slot in really easily people are very inclusive. There is a large group of expat South Africans that have joined Hillsong. We have tried to spread our friendships as broad as possible and found that that has worked the best for us.

Hillsong has two campuses a City one and a Hills one. The Hills one is the large of the campuses. In our opinion Hillsong has a program for each age group. When my parents originally immigrated with my brother 13 years ago the first thing they did was sign my brother up at one of the Youth Summer Camps at Hillsong. My brother had a blast and made heaps of friends he attended Powerhouse till 25. I joined him a year later when I immigrated to Oz and started attending Powerhouse. From there we both moved up to Frontline. We are all still very active at Hillsong. Currently my brother is dating a gorgeous girl he met through Powerhouse. I def believe one can bring strong Christian families up in Australia our family is a living proof of that. Ps Phil & Lucinda Dooley the youth pastors married my hub and I 2003.

The best way is to get connected is to go to the new peoples lounge after the service. Sign yourself up to a connect group/Bible study group. There is a vast mixture of connect groups http://www2.hillsong.com/church/default.asp?pid=205

When you join the church get involved in the church there is so many areas you can get involved in.

If you have children/teenagers you will see there is a group for each age group. A fantastic plus point about the groups are that they are not churchy in any shape or form or old fashioned. The programs are tailored made and very relevant so you see young people coming in droves. You could easily see over a thousand young people or more jam packed into the church building on a Friday night when they all meet together.

Here are some of the groups

Kidsong http://www2.hillsong.com/kids/default.asp?pid=352

Fuel http://www2.hillsong.com/youth/default.asp?pid=714

Wildlife http://www2.hillsong.com/youth/default.asp?pid=715

Powerhouse http://www2.hillsong.com/youth/default.asp?pid=716

Frontline http://www2.hillsong.com/youth/default.asp?pid=717

Hillsong women http://www2.hillsong.com/women/default.asp...9&hidetitle=yes

If you new in Sydney and you not working on a Thursday or Friday morning this is the best place to be in my opinion every Thursday (Hills) and Friday (City) at 9.30am. I have really missed this group since starting working full time.

Hillsong Men http://www2.hillsong.com/church/default.asp?pid=216

Each year my husband father and brother attend the men’s conference www.mensconference.com they have already booked themselves in for this year

10-11 November they rave about it each year.

We have been very actively involved in many of the different areas in church. Since I have started studying my masters part time while working full time we have had to pull back on our involvement I must say we have really missed it. We still regularly attend church. I can hardly wait to complete my studies in September 2007 and we will be back into action again. Getting connected to Jesus is the best decision you can make, Hillsong has the ability to keep on encouraging you to build that relationship on a daily base. You will never know what the word lonely means if you join Hillsong.

Here are the service times http://www2.hillsong.com/church/default.asp?pid=69

Every weekend, Hillsong Church hosts over 30 different church services across Sydney, in our two main campuses at Baulkham Hills (Hills) and Waterloo (City), and in regional and cultural services (extension services) throughout greater Sydney. Services feature live worship, practical Bible-based teaching and quality kid's programs.

HILLS...

Saturday 6pm

Sunday 8.45am & 10.45am*

Sunday 5pm (The Hub Auditorium) & 6pm*# (Convention Centre)

CITY...

Saturday 5pm & 7pm

Sunday 8am, 9.30am* & 11.30am

Sunday 5pm & 7pm

* Deaf Signing Auslan available.

# Mandarin translation available.

If you have any specific questions re Hillsong please don’t hesitate to PM me. Sorry for the delay in my reply I have not recently been check the sight work and study been pretty full on.

PS: I sure that there are many other great churches out there that are fabulous so please don’t see my love for Hillsong as knocking any other church. The emphasis should always first be on your relationship with Jesus. :thumbdown:

Edited by sonnetjie
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

The Brisbane City Church has Hillsong connections. Haven't been there went to a smaller church in Indooropilly full of South Africans, also charismatic. Our son of 20 goes there often and he likes it a lot, the have a good youth group as well. You'll be alright in Brissie I am sure.

• 3 months later...

As jy in Adelaide is probeer South Side in Old main Rd, Old Reynella, of Coastlands in South Rd, O Halloran Hill. Die kerk is op die hoek can Main South Rd en Chandlers Hill Rd, en die ingang is aan die Chandlers Hill kant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi everyone. For the past 6 years we've been part of a lovely church here in the Northern Suburbs of Brisbane; Bray Park Community Church.

BPCC

It's close to areas such as North lakes, Warner, Albany Creek, Strathpine, Cashmere and Petrie.

I can highly recommend it to folk who are looking for a spiritual home when they arrive in Brisbane. Our church is part of the "Reformed Churches of Australia," ~ with a contemporary style to our worship services. Children are extremely well catered for with numerous facilities and ministries geared towards them.

Our night services are especially geared towards youth and young adults with appropriate music style and sermon themes.

Please let me know if you're in the area and you're interested in checking us out.

We have close to 50 South African families already worshipping with us, (many Afrikaans.) :ilikeit:

Blessings

ZA-DOWNUNDER

• 8 months later...

Afrikaanse Christen Kerk van Australia - Gold Coast

Ons Gold Coast gemeente vier binnekort ons eerste verjaarsdag. Dit is ongelooflik hoe vinnig die tyd verby gegaan het. Dit voel soos gister wat Ds. Danie Venter in 'n huis agter 'n strykplank sy eerste bediening aan ons gedoen het. Kort daarna het ons na die mooie kapel by Mount Nathan verkuif nadat die gemeente vinnig gegroei het. Ons is dankbaar aan die Here dat hy ons gemeente in so 'n mate geseën het dat ons die kapel ook nou ontgroei het.

Eredienste sal voortaan om 09h00 elke Sondag oggend by die Ashmore State Primary School gehou word.

91-122 Currumburra Rd. (nabygele� aan h/v Cotlew & Currumburra straat)

Ashmore

QLD

Ons nooi iedere en elke Christen in of naby die Gold Coast, Queensland, om saam met ons God se naam in Afrikaans te verheerlik. Dit is 'n unieke geleentheid om deel te wees van 'n gemeente wat Jesus Christus dien in 'n omgewing waar ons gemaklik kan wees tussen gemeentelede wat ons taal en kultuur deel. Ons help mekaar ook graag, aangesien ons almal in 'n soortgelyke bootjie is. Dit is so belangrik om jou geloof rotsvas te hou terwyl die res van jou lewe soms dramaties verander.

Die erediens word aangebied deur Ds. Danie Venter. Alhoewel die kerk 'n gereformeerde grondslag het, bestaan ons gemeente uit lede van verskeie denominasies.

Ons verkeer elke Sondag gesellig na die diens en sal julle graag wil ontmoet oor 'n koppie koffie. Ons sien al julle Afrikaanssprekende gelowiges van die Goue Kus daar!

Vir meer inligting, besoek gerus ons webwerf by http://www.ackagc.org. Klik hier vir roete aanwysings.

Kontak my ook gerus vir enige verdere inligting.

Ons maak graag kontak met gelowiges en Christelike instellings van ander stede in Australia.

Edited by Jordy

• 2 weeks later...

Open Door Christian Church was launched on 1 March comprising mainly South Africans. We are non-denominational and would suit people from a variety of church backgrounds. Our website gives details about us as well as how to contact us if you are interested. We would especially be helpful if you are a recent arrival in Perth and living in the Gosnells, Canning Vale area.

Find out more about us at: www.opendoorcc.org.au

Vaughan

• 1 month later...

Anyone living (or intend to live) in or close to Sydney CBD, there's a really nice Anglican Church at 3 York Street, with a vision to care for city residents and city workers.

Called St. Philip's on York, it's known as the cradle of Christianity in Australia and the very first Christian service in Australia was held here on 3 February 1788.

The new Rector, Justin Moffatt, arrived back in Sydney on 4 February 2009 after a few years at Christ Church Anglican Church in New York and was inducted as the 15th Rector of St Philip’s. Justin is married to Laurel who has a PhD in Shakespeare. They have three small children.

The contemporary service is at 10:00 every Sunday morning, while interactive lunchtime forums are held on Tuesdays (12:40) and Thursdays (13:10).

If you're after a small congregation and keen to attend St. Philip's or just want to check it out, feel free to contact me. There are quite a few young people attending and so far 4 South Africans (including myself) I'm aware of. Tea/coffee/snacks are served in the parish next to the church after the morning service.

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

Today our church announced a new Afrikaans Service starting on the 6th of Sept at 8.30 am.

The minister is Dr Johan Roux. http://www.citipointe.com.au/index.php/eve...onnect_service/

This is a great way to meet other South African's in Brisbane.

- The church also includes a Rivers cafe which has great cakes with coffee, should you want some after the service.

- The kiddies Sunday school is also fantastic, and there is a big jungle gym as well.

- Plenty of parking, and loads other South African's. (Mini SA)

Feel free to find me as well. :-) (I do not have a Madiba shirt nor sprinbok jersey, so will need to find something to wear on the day.)

I work at COCB which is the school on the same grounds. (Another mini SA)

Cheerio

Sean

Sunday 6th of September, 2009

8.30am

New Afrikaner Connect Service

Commences Sunday September 6, 8.30am

Citipointe Church is pushing the boundaries again by starting a brand new Afrikaner Connect Service.

If Afrikaans is your heart language, if you feel the need to make friends in a new country, then you will love our new Afrikaner Connect Service. This service will help you to connect and anchor with (to) God, to Citipointe and to a new life.

Already, hundreds of South Africans are finding friendship, acceptance and community at Citipointe Church.

We look forward to meeting with you.

Lead Pastor: Dr Johan Roux

Contact: Dr Johan Roux // 3343 8888 // afrikaans@citipointe.com.au

GPS: 27,31,58 S with 153,06,50 E or just type in 322 Wecker Road, Mansfield, Brisbane.

• 1 month later...

Almal wat wil kom is uitgenooi na die CRC (Christian Revival Church) - dienste word gehou op Sondae 9:30 am in die Padbury High School se saal.

Dienste is in Engels want ons probeer die Australianers bereik, maar meeste van die mense is Afrikaans.

Everyone is welcome!

33 Giles Avenue, Padbury, WA 6025

Afrikaans Church Services - last Sunday of the month, Melbourne East

On the last Sunday of every month there is an Afrikaans church service.

http://www.wpcrc.crca.org.au/

A friendly church for all - Citylife Church, Melbourne : North, East, South and West

If you are looking for a church to attend, give Citylife Church a try, I am sure you will not be disappointed. I attend the Manningham assembly.

http://www.citylifechurch.com/default.aspx

• 2 months later...

Only problem is, now you have to wade through this long list to try and find one in the city that you actually live in!

I would have preferred for it to stay as it was, as the city was mostly listed in the heading!

I haven't actually been to this Church (I am not religious), but the Church on St Georges Terrace in Perth CBD (I think it is number 72) does sermons in Afrikaans.

• 3 months later...

Hi

I go to East Coast Church International - it meets at the Indooroopilly State School in Ward Street, Indooroopilly (near St Peters Lutheran College, Brigidine College and The Holy Family).

It is a family church that is relationally based and relatively small. There are SA's, Australians, New Zealanders and other nationalities and it is a church where people really care for you. It is a great network, children's ministry and there is a youth network.

All are most welcome.

Mxy

• 4 months later...

We live in Kenmore Hills and have finally found our church home - Kenmore Baptist Church in Kenmore Road. See their website www.kbc.org.au

People of ALL denominations attend here! Plenty of activities for young and old.

Children enjoyed the children's church.

Many many SA's there.

For all the people in Melbourne looking for a new church home look into PLANETSHAKERS or ENJOY CHURCH in Sunshine..

I have attended both these churches at some point and they are awesome. Have also just attended the Beautiful Woman conference hosted by Planteshakers and it was amazing...

Kids ministry is very good. And the hearts of the people are very open and friendly!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi aan wie dit lees

Nie almal vind aanklank by Hillsong nie. (Die manier van dinge doen)

Wat ek wel kan se is:

Ek kon nog nie vind dat enige van die negatiewe aantuigings in die media waar was nie.

As jy virby die "nie tradisonele" (vir party) aspekte kyk is die boodskap uit die kerk/preke baie goed.

Die kerk doen wondere vir kinders. Die druk in die skole en spesifiek op die Christelike geloof is enorm.

Die kerk het soveel programme/bewegings/groepe waaraan mens kan behoort en ook mense leer ken.

Hoop die paar dinge help met beluitnemings oor die kerk.

My ondervinding is gebaseer as lid van 'n Anglikaanse kere in die Hill's waarna ek oorbeweeg het na Hillsong Bella Vista.

Wat belangrik is om te bly soek tot jy vind wat vir jou werk.

B

• 3 months later...

Hi! I am at Hillsong Church in Cape Town at the moment . Busy with my immigration to Australia, but will be living in Perth. Wish they will expand to that area too :ilikeit:)) Is there any church in Perth that is affiliated with Hillsong?

• 1 month later...

As jy in Noorde van Perth is en Engelse kerk soek kom loer gerus by Whitfords Presbyterian Church. Ons kom elke Sondag bymekaar by St. Marks Anglican School, St. Marks Dr, Hillarys in die Performance Centre. (Die Anglikane het hulle dienste in die Kapel)

Dis `n tradisionele gemeente (met omtrent `n derde Suid-Afrikaners) met `n eenkeer per maand Jeugdiens (waar die jeug die musiek maak!)

Dienste begin om 09:00

Enige navrae: rev@whitfordspc.com

• 2 months later...

I am the minister at four Uniting Church congregations in the Eastern Wheatbelt WA - Merredin, Mukinbudin, Bruce Rock and Southern Cross. We have a couple of Saffers, Zimbods, Poms, New Zealanders and Fijians, plus stacks of friendly Aussies. If you're in the area you're welcome to pop in for a Cuppa. I was a Presbyterian minister in SA in Benoni and Howick.

• 3 weeks later...

Open Door Christian Church was launched on 1 March comprising mainly South Africans. We are non-denominational and would suit people from a variety of church backgrounds. Our website gives details about us as well as how to contact us if you are interested. We would especially be helpful if you are a recent arrival in Perth and living in the Gosnells, Canning Vale area.

Find out more about us at: www.opendoorcc.org.au

Vaughan

Thank you very much Vaughan. I was just about to ask if anyone know of a charasmatic church in Perth, Canning Vale area. We are planning to arrive Dec 2011/Jan 2012.

Edited by AndreMaureen