Taxi fare price?

kellyporsha

Hello,

I got a quote from a company who offer a pick up from the airport (coming from SA) to Glebe which would cost me $ 50 for two people. Does that sound ok? I have absolutely no idea how much taxis would charge me? Can any one please give me advice if that amount can be correct. Dont like to get ripped of on my arrival day.

Thank you

Kelly

Hi Kelly

It will take a while to get used to working with $AU when you are used to Rands. One tends to convert everthing back to Rands and then it sounds very expensive. We paid about $100 for taxi ride from the airport to our house in Hunters Hill when we arrived on 6 September 2008. So $50 sounds about right.

regards

Charmaine

Boy! Those taxi fellahs know how to charge!

$100 for a taxi ride?

I'm getting too long in the tooth for life in modern Australia when I hear a taxi driver charging that much within Sydney.

Personally, I'd be researching the web and seeing if public transport will get me where I want to go . . . . for a far lesser hit on the hip pocket.

. . . . . or alternatively, ask someone to pick you up at the airport to drop you off.

There must be one or two South Africans in Sydney able to help a mate out?

Hi Kelly

It will take a while to get used to working with $AU when you are used to Rands. One tends to convert everthing back to Rands and then it sounds very expensive. We paid about $100 for taxi ride from the airport to our house in Hunters Hill when we arrived on 6 September 2008. So $50 sounds about right.

regards

Charmaine

Thank you Charmaine for the info. Do you think I could save a bit on money in rather going by train and then with the bus?

Kind regards,

kelly

Hi Kelly

I must confess that I don't know what bus or train services run near the airport. It also depends on how much luggage and/or kids you have to carry. We had 2 children, a baby seat, 4 carry on bags and 4 large bags. So with all that we didn't see public transport as an option for us. The only couple we know in Sydney doesn't own a car, so getting a taxi was our only option. A number of people landing here don't know anybody and are dependent on taxis and I guess the taxi operators know this.

I guess the time of you day you land will also guide your options. By the time we were cleared by customs, it was dark outside. And it was raining as well. If you don't know the city, then trying to find your own away around in the dark is for the adventurous at heart :magic:

regards

Charmaine

Yeah, $50 sounds about correct from the airport to Glebe! Just be aware if you are travelling in peak hour traffic it might be more. Last I travelled from Central Station to the airport (April 2008) by train it was round $16 per person one way. The Domestic and International Terminal trainstations are privately owned and they ask a premium!!! I just had a quick look on www.131500.info. If you make use of public transport (trains and trams) it will be $18.60 per person one way International Terminal to Glebe, but consider the fact that you just got off a x hour flight, your party travelling (children?) and luggage. The trains/busses work wonderful but not with 6 suitcases between 2 people! Sydney is 'n duur dorp!!! LOL!!!

PS: Would gladly collect you guys from the airport but don't own a car as so many Sydneysiders living in the inner city

Hello,

I got a quote from a company who offer a pick up from the airport (coming from SA) to Glebe which would cost me $ 50 for two people. Does that sound ok? I have absolutely no idea how much taxis would charge me? Can any one please give me advice if that amount can be correct. Dont like to get ripped of on my arrival day.

Thank you

Kelly

Hey Kellyporsha

Train and bus will definitely be cheaper. Check out www.131500.com. Your starting point will be International Airport (Train Station) and then just put in your destination address. It will give you a full breakdown of what trains and buses you need to catch with estimated travel times etc.

When do you arrive (date and time)?. I stay North of Sydney but often go into the city for work. If the timimg suits, I may be able to assist. No promises though...

Thank's to all of you for helping and giving me good advice. Highly appreciate it. It help's a lot knowing that there are people outside who really care for other's. Cannot thank enough. :whome:

Hey Kellyporsha

Train and bus will definitely be cheaper. Check out www.131500.com. Your starting point will be International Airport (Train Station) and then just put in your destination address. It will give you a full breakdown of what trains and buses you need to catch with estimated travel times etc.

When do you arrive (date and time)?. I stay North of Sydney but often go into the city for work. If the timimg suits, I may be able to assist. No promises though...

Thank you Ty. Booked now a ride with A&B Express Service and they charge me a total amount of $50 for 2 people. The asked amount is ok and it will be uncomplicated. It's really great that you wanted to help and I thank you deeply for that.

cheers,

Kelly