Teaching in Australia

Sean Udal

It is now law that everyone has to register with a Teaching Council, including private schools to teach in Australia.

You need a registration number before a school can employ you.

In Queensland you can register with the Queensland College of Educators in a number of ways:

1. Full Registration: http://www.qct.edu.au/registration/

- If you have a HDE, PGCE, BEd then this is fast.

- If you do not, then you have to be assessed.

2. Provisional Registration: http://www.qct.edu.au/registration/prov.html

The period of provisional registration represents a supported introduction to the teaching profession in Queensland. It forms part of the continuum of ongoing development from preservice education to career-long learning.

Queensland College of Teachers: http://www.qct.edu.au

Queensland Studies Authority: http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au

- NSW requires that you do PEAT training in Sydney.

- Western Australia requires a IELTS Academic score of 8 average and no score less than 7 to register.

Good Links:

Australian Education News:

http://www.edna.edu.au/edna/go

Australia's National Curriculum: Rudd’s Revolution in Education Begins

http://curriculum-issues.suite101.com/arti...onal_curriculum

Curriculum and Syllabi - Aussie Educator

http://www.teachers.ash.org.au/aussieed/ed...mandsyllabi.htm

Algemene vrae wat deur Suid-Afrikaners, wat na Australië wil verhuis, gevra word.

http://www.brisbane.coc.edu.au/Site/Enrolm...naAustralia.asp

South African teachers moving / moved to Australia

http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10996018090

Enjoy :blush:

Edited by Sean Udal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Sean

Thanks for the valuable info!

Just one point I'm not sure of. On the WACOT application form (Western Australia) it states the following wrt language requirement:

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – Academic version

Test showing the applicant has achieved an overall score of 8 with no more than one score in reading, writing, speaking or listening being a minimum of 7.

Please contact 08 9266 7622 for more information.

In your post you mention it should be 8.5. Is this a new requirement then?

Hi Sean

Thanks for the valuable info!

Just one point I'm not sure of. On the WACOT application form (Western Australia) it states the following wrt language requirement:

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – Academic version

Test showing the applicant has achieved an overall score of 8 with no more than one score in reading, writing, speaking or listening being a minimum of 7.

Please contact 08 9266 7622 for more information.

In your post you mention it should be 8.5. Is this a new requirement then?

Hi, I will look for the orginal link with the info that said 8.5, but would believe your application form first.

This is good news if the requirements are less than what I found.

http://www.wacot.wa.edu.au/index.php?section=102

(ii) Undertaking an English language test and providing results from the Academic version of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Test showing the applicant has achieved a minimum score of 8 in all areas (reading, writing, speaking and listening) or any other language competence test approved by the College (see 5.2(B) below).

This link now indicates 8 in all 4 bands so a little less.

Cheerio

Sean

Edited by Sean Udal

Yes, please.

I'm worried now because my husband has a job offer in WA and he doesn't meet the 8.5 requirement. That means he must decline the job offer because he will not be able to register with WACOT which is a condition of the job offer.

Yes, please.

I'm worried now because my husband has a job offer in WA and he doesn't meet the 8.5 requirement. That means he must decline the job offer because he will not be able to register with WACOT which is a condition of the job offer.

Hi. I have changed the orginal post to 8. My orginal data was collected last year April and so may have changed.

Queensland does not have this requirement and so easier to register. I would email WACOT if not 100 % sure.

Cheerio

Sean

Yes, please.

I also wrote the academic IELTS for Teaching purposes in Australia (Victoria)

They defnitely required a 7 bandscore in all 4 sections of the IELTS test

I have since then done my skills assesment and registered with Victoria Institute of Teaching - both successful!

Good luck

Retha

I also wrote the academic IELTS for Teaching purposes in Australia (Victoria)

They defnitely required a 7 bandscore in all 4 sections of the IELTS test

I have since then done my skills assesment and registered with Victoria Institute of Teaching - both successful!

Good luck

Retha

Hi, the requirements for each state are different. It is always best to check with the Teacher Registration Council to

find out what you need to register.

Cheerio

Sean

Hi Sean

I called WACOT (how's that for paranoia!) and they confirmed that one should have an overall score of 8 with no more than one score in reading, writing, speaking or listening being a minimum of 7. I think the 8.5 was probably a bit too steep and then they've changed it.

We're just waiting for our 457 to be granted and then if all goes well we'll be in Perth in January.

Edited by somarie

Hi Sean

I called WACOT (how's that for paranoia!) and they confirmed that one should have an overall score of 8 with no more than one score in reading, writing, speaking or listening being a minimum of 7. I think the 8.5 was probably a bit too steep and then they've changed it.

We're just waiting for our 457 to be granted and then if all goes well we'll be in Perth in January.

Hi,

Great news, that would make it possible for my wife and I to work in Perth as well :-)

Cheerio

Sean

In Queensland you can register with the Queensland College of Educators in a number of ways:

1. Full Registration: http://www.qct.edu.au/registration/

- If you have a HDE, PGCE, BEd then this is fast.

- If you do not, then you have to be assessed.

Hi Sean.

Thanks for all the info. Perhaps you could help with this, which me may have discussed a bit in the past...

My wife sent in to QCT her qualifications but as she does not have a PGCE or HDE - they said she could not register yet. On the QCT website there is an alternative (I think Section 8 and Section 9 of the teaching act) that allows you to apply even if you don't have this...

She wrote to them and they said that was aimed at teachers who have many years of experience behind them. She only has 3 years of experience (and BA Degree and an Honours Degree and a Masters Degree which means nothing without the PGCE)

You mention that without the PGCE, you have to be assessed. Is there another body who may assess her positively such that she may then be registered to teach in Queensland, or would they still say "Sorry for you".

Any thoughts?

Thanks bud

Spoke to a lady in education about my situation (also not got teaching qualification). She asked if I could teach tertiary. Has your wife looked at that option? She should qualify because of her higher education. She won't need teaching qualifications for that? And the university holidays tend to be longer than the school ones ;)

Hi Sean.

Thanks for all the info. Perhaps you could help with this, which me may have discussed a bit in the past...

My wife sent in to QCT her qualifications but as she does not have a PGCE or HDE - they said she could not register yet. On the QCT website there is an alternative (I think Section 8 and Section 9 of the teaching act) that allows you to apply even if you don't have this...

She wrote to them and they said that was aimed at teachers who have many years of experience behind them. She only has 3 years of experience (and BA Degree and an Honours Degree and a Masters Degree which means nothing without the PGCE)

You mention that without the PGCE, you have to be assessed. Is there another body who may assess her positively such that she may then be registered to teach in Queensland, or would they still say "Sorry for you".

Any thoughts?

Thanks bud

Hi, my wife and I qualified with a 4 year B.mus Degree from Rhodes in 1995, and did not need a HDE or PGCE at the time to teach, as our degree was accepted by SACE to register in South Africa.

We have taught since then, but am having trouble trying to register in Australia without these now.

We contacted the Queensland College of Teachers and a person called Matthew Gurr - Matthew.Gurr@qct.edu.au sent us an email saying we have to apply for Submission for Consideration under s8(1)(a)(ii) and s9(1)(a)(ii) http://www.qct.edu.au/registration/section89.html

I would contact him for more info.

Good Luck

Sean

Edited by Sean Udal

Great thread Sean!

Yes, being registered with a Teaching Registration Body is compulsory all over Oz now, though theVics sort-of got away with it for a while... :)

As far as IELTS is concerned in South Australia, there is a back-door to by-pass it if you are not the principal applicant.

In South Australia, if you are from South Africa, you are not required to sit the IELTS exam. It may be worthwhile for teachers on their way to South Australia to enquire from Teaching Australia whether they have to have IELTS, seeing IELTS is not a South Australian requirement for South African teachers.

Excerpt from the website of the Techers Registration Board (TRB) of South Australia:

English Language Requirement

As a condition of eligibility for registration as a teacher with the Teachers Registration Board of South Australia, all applicants must satisfy the Board that they have a level of English language proficiency which enables them to communicate in English in both the spoken and written form at a professional level with students, parents, colleagues, and other educational professionals.

The Board’s English language requirement applies to all applicants for teacher registration, with the following exception:

Graduates from pre-service teacher education programs from the following countries: Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, South Africa, United States of America, United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales).

Applicants who do not qualify under the above exemption list must sit for an English language test defined by the Board. The tests recognised by the Board are the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), the International Second Language Proficiency Ratings (ISLPR) and the Professional English Assessment for Teachers (PEAT).

Link to TRB website:

Reachers Registration Board of South Australia

Hope this helps,

Dax

• 4 months later...

Hi Sean

Not that I am any where near needing this yet, I noticed you did not have Victoria's details. To register in victoria you need to contact vit

I think the link is www.vit.vic.edu.au

The registration form is in PDF format and found at http://www.vit.vic.edu.au/files/documents/...g_A_B&W.pdf

Edited by Nes

• 5 months later...

Futher to Sean's reply

Make sure you as teacher get a statement of service from all the schools you have worked at in the past.

In order for employers to work out an employees Band and Step (payscale) as it is called in Queensland Australia, the employer will need confirmation on a letterhead confirming the period of employment as well as whether you were full time or part time (if it was part time they need to know the fraction i.e FTE 1 is full time and FTE .6 is part time) =(3days a week). This is very important info as they will use these statements of service to determine your payscale for your wages, I see so many South Africans arrive here in Australia without this info and it is so frustrating for them as they have to wait for this info before they can be paid the correct wages.

http://education.qld.gov.au/strategic/eppr.../statement.html This link will give you info for all the info you need to have on your statement of service.

http://education.qld.gov.au/hr/recruitment...ployment-08.pdf

http://education.qld.gov.au/hr/recruitment...on-process.html - Application process

http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/ - General Info for Educators and schools

Hope this helps.

Rather bring to much paperwork than to little. You don't want to try and sort it out from here.

Edited by saussie

• 1 year later...

We are moving to Canberra in Novenber 2010 on a state sponsored PR visa. Marelize (Secondary School/Colllege Accounting teacher) will propably start working in April/May 2011.

We would love to hear from others Saffas in Canberra regarding teaching in Canberra specifically.

:thumbdown:

Hey everyone,

I just had a thought, I have had my visa for a while, only moving to WA in Jan next year. I am a high school teacher (BA Hons HDE). Just read the thread about the IELTS and was wondering whether it works the same way that DIAC does, does my IELTS expire in terms of registering as a teacher? I think I did it over 3 years ago. Would I need my IELTS to be current to register with WACOT?

I am not really in a rush as I don't plan on teaching again for a while. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
was wondering whether it works the same way that DIAC does, does my IELTS expire in terms of registering as a teacher?

Would I need my IELTS to be current to register with WACOT?

Hi Tyde

The following apply: IELTS (2 years) and South African Police clearance (1 year).

Hey everyone,

I just had a thought, I have had my visa for a while, only moving to WA in Jan next year. I am a high school teacher (BA Hons HDE). Just read the thread about the IELTS and was wondering whether it works the same way that DIAC does, does my IELTS expire in terms of registering as a teacher? I think I did it over 3 years ago. Would I need my IELTS to be current to register with WACOT?

I am not really in a rush as I don't plan on teaching again for a while. Thanks

Yip, Ilets required for WACOT. Just done mine recently. They also have a very high criteria for IELTS, cannot remember off hand but i think it is an overall 8 or something..they do have a website and are very helpful. My suggestion, get in touch with them asap since it is a matter of subitting DOCUMENTS AGAIN but nothing you owuld not have submitted to DIAC.

Ta.

• 1 year later...

HI Sorry to deviate from the current topic. I am currently studying through UNISA - BEd Intermediate & Senior Phase (only my second semester). Is it possible to transfer to an Oz university if we move (only started the application process)? My hubby is an artisan so the Visa will be obtained via his occupation. I would appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks

If you are doing your degree through Unisa, why not rather do your degree through an Australian University for distance education? I know there are others that have done so, it may make life a lot easier for you, once you arrive here.

Thanks Maria, I will look into that. Hopefully will get some credits for the subjects that I have done and are currently doing. :)

HI Sorry to deviate from the current topic. I am currently studying through UNISA - BEd Intermediate & Senior Phase (only my second semester). Is it possible to transfer to an Oz university if we move (only started the application process)? My hubby is an artisan so the Visa will be obtained via his occupation. I would appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks

You could also look continuing studying with UNISA, I looked at transferring but would have had to do more subjects as I would not have had credit for everything. So as I only had a few to go decided just to go on with UNISA. Its simple enough and costs you an extra R780 per subject which is less than $100 at the current exchange rate.

Writing exams are easy. Back in RSA where I wrote exams was near the mini-bus stop and there was this constant hooting and you wrote in un-airconditioned rooms. Here I write in the library of the SA Consulate, Nogal Laarnie!