Social groups in J'burg & Sydney

Mike and Nicole

Afternoon all.

My family and I are keen to get in touch with other familys in the Johannesburg region planning to move to Sydney Australia. If there are any families out there arranging coffee mornings or get togethers, please let us know.

We had our 457 approved last week, bought the air tickets on saturday, so we're off on the 1st of Jan. I can tell you now that we feel more nervous and edgey about this move now than we did when we first started out on this venture. Lots of stress to say the least.

All the best.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

We are in JHB but looking at going to Melbourne. There is not a set programme of gatherings but people seem to have a need to meet and respond when someone sets up something. What about suggesting a date for coffee at a venue in JHB. I am sure that people would respond to you.

Just an idea?

Al

• 1 month later...
Afternoon all.

My family and I are keen to get in touch with other familys in the Johannesburg region planning to move to Sydney Australia. If there are any families out there arranging coffee mornings or get togethers, please let us know.

We had our 457 approved last week, bought the air tickets on saturday, so we're off on the 1st of Jan. I can tell you now that we feel more nervous and edgey about this move now than we did when we first started out on this venture. Lots of stress to say the least.

All the best.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Our 457 was approved yesterday, we're heading out Sydney too, my wife and I are both 41 and we have 2 boys aged 7 and 6. Would be great to hook up with you guys and celebrate or commiserate. I know what you mean about the nerves, its now become a vasbyt and just get it over with thing for me, I know it will be better there. I've been spending an unusual amount of time with family and friends since we lodged the application, so much so that its raised doubts, is it really all that bad here?

Truth is, the time spent with them IS unusual because they know we're leaving, and if we hang about and get back to the usual, the same feelings of discontent will return for sure.

cheers

Martin

Hi Mike ,

We are also travelling to sydney on 1st of Jan ! :ilikeit:;) ;) We are also very edgy and nervous ! Send me a Pm and we can chat !

regards

Donné

Hi Martin ,

As I said to Mike ,We are also going to Sydney on the 1st Jan :ilikeit: ,our children are 13and 16 ,so a bit older ,but we are still happy to meet !

:ilikeit:

regards

Donné

Hi Mike,

Our 457 was approved yesterday, we're heading out Sydney too, my wife and I are both 41 and we have 2 boys aged 7 and 6. Would be great to hook up with you guys and celebrate or commiserate. I know what you mean about the nerves, its now become a vasbyt and just get it over with thing for me, I know it will be better there. I've been spending an unusual amount of time with family and friends since we lodged the application, so much so that its raised doubts, is it really all that bad here?

Truth is, the time spent with them IS unusual because they know we're leaving, and if we hang about and get back to the usual, the same feelings of discontent will return for sure.

cheers

Martin

Hi Mike,

We are in JHB but looking at going to Melbourne. There is not a set programme of gatherings but people seem to have a need to meet and respond when someone sets up something. What about suggesting a date for coffee at a venue in JHB. I am sure that people would respond to you.

Just an idea?

Al

Hi Al

I am new to the site and we hope to be in Adelaide in Jan2009.

would really like to get together with you guys to share the experience.

does anyone have any idea how long from date of application a visa 475 takes to be granted

everyone seems to be applying for 457.

thanks

looking forward to meeting you guys.

Strewth!

Will the last bloke left in Jo'burg, heading for Australia, please shut the door after them?

Best of Luck, you lot, with your flights.

January is a great time to arrive and see Sydney.

Hi Martin ,

As I said to Mike ,We are also going to Sydney on the 1st Jan :ilikeit: ,our children are 13and 16 ,so a bit older ,but we are still happy to meet !

;)

regards

Donné

Hi Donné,

Will keep in touch through the forum as the day gets closer.

regards

Martin

Strewth!

Will the last bloke left in Jo'burg, heading for Australia, please shut the door after them?

Best of Luck, you lot, with your flights.

January is a great time to arrive and see Sydney.

The doctor who did our kids medicals told us he is seeing an engineer a day...the door may fall off its hinges first...

Thank you for your kind wishes!

Hi everyone ,

Just to get an idea - which area would it suit to meet ?Does it need to be child friendly ?Also times - does a Saturday morning /afternoon work?Any other criteria we need to take into account ?

Hi there

I look forward to meeting you all in Sydney. My brother in law leaves jhb on 7 Jan and friends of ours leave on 15 Jan all headed for Sydney. Please shout if there is anything i can help with. Jan is pretty quiet in Sydney its school holidays till end of the month and alot of people have headed up north. The weather is amazing and the shopping is brilliant. Let me know where you are planning out settling, you will be amazed at how many newbies there are around.

S

Hi everyone ,

Just to get an idea - which area would it suit to meet ?Does it need to be child friendly ?Also times - does a Saturday morning /afternoon work?Any other criteria we need to take into account ?

Hi Donne,

It would be great if we could set up a get together for the JHB people. The pretoria guys are way more organised then we are :) On this thread and the previous picnic thread there are loads of people who are interested in getting together.

Some suggestions from my side:

* Can it be child friendly, as many of us have small kids.

* We arranged the previous picnic on saturday mroning and many people were busy with stuff - what about saturday lunch or afternoon?

* Isnt there a nursery or tea garden where we can all meet - everyone just pays for there own sutff so it reduces stress and organisation and there are normally play areas at these sites?

Just ideas?

Al

Strewth!

And blow out the candle too.

We are also heading over in January, if the visa comes through in time. Will probably lodge this week.

How about Papachinos on New Road in Midrand. Central and very child friendly. Great food too.

Hi ,

What about the tea garden in Bryanston main road - I think it is called plant park ? One Saturday afternoon ?

I am also happy to go to Midrand - apologies did not see the last post - what suits everyone ?

I will also go anywhere. Bryanston sounds good to me? (But that is just because i live nearby :unsure: )

Very keen. It is a long time since we got together!

ok lets try for a date ..............what about the 1st/2nd of November at Bryanston plant park - at about 2.30 ?

ok lets try for a date ..............what about the 1st/2nd of November at Bryanston plant park - at about 2.30 ?

Hi There,

Is anybody welcome at the social? We have never attended and are very keen.

I would like to attend with hubby and kids. Saturday suits us but we will attend anytime.

Thanks

Al

Hi Everyone , :)

ALL ARE WELCOME !! The plantpark is in Main road in Bryanston.I think that the nearest intersection would be where the Sandton clinic is , I have attached a number you can call for better directions .

"Plant Park - tel: 011 463 5773 - Bryanston Area. A wheelchair friendly landscaped garden centre, with restaurant and children's recreation facilities" :ilikeit:

Looking forward to meeting everyone . :ilikeit:

Donné

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone ,

Let me know if anyone is keen to meet at Plantpark ............................should we do Sat ??

Hi

We would like to meet all of you - Saturday at Plantpark will be fine with us (somebody suggested 14h30, after their afternoon nap, sounds good!!)

We are leaving for Perth 3 January (boys 4 and 2 years old)

So many things to do......

Edited by krugers

Donne, can i suggest that you start a new post that has a title of the date and the meeting so that people can easily spot it?

Will see you on saturday.

Al