Primary Schools - Hobart & surrounds

KMG

Hi to everyone

Bob mentioned that Calvin Christian School or Channel Christian School were good schools in the Hobart area. Does anybody else have any recommendations? Does anybody have any experience with the government primary schools? Is there a huge difference between the private and the government schools? This might seem like a silly question, but if you hear that the government hospitals in Australia are like our private hospitals, then I suppose it is worth exploring.

Karen

Hi Karen

We are also trying to find out just how good or how bad the state schools are in the Hobart area. People have recommended both to us, but still unsure. We have been in contact with Rose Bay High School and Clarence High School - I have contacted both the principals and have made appts to see them the first week of Sept for an interview for Devon - Rose Bay comes highly recommended???

Junior schools we have contacted Bellerive Primary, Montagu Bay Primary and Lindisfarne Primary, with Bellerive Primary being the most recommended. I have also made contact with these schools' principals and will be visiting them then as well.

I can't comment until we see I suppose???? but I can keep you posted if you like?

With regards to fees - Channel and Calvin have given us fees for both boys of $5120 for both boys for the year.

Rose Bay and Clarence High State Schools - $440 per child per year

Bellerive, Montagu Bay and Lindisfarne were between $220 0and $240 per child per annum

Thanks so much. I will really appreciate it if you give me some feedback after you have visited the schools.

Good luck with all the interviews. I will also let you know if I get any useful info.

Cheers,

Karen

Each of the gov't schools you've mentioned are on the "Eastern Shore" of Hobart with the private schools being in the "Channel" region (south of Hobart)

If you live on the eastern shore, the Derwent River cutting thro the suburbs of Hobart, then obviously the gov't schools could be the ones to look at, with Emmanuel Christian School at Rokeby being a private alternative.

The schools run by the Tasmanian gov't are well resourced and competently run, so would be a good choice for educating children. It's basically if the family is a strong church going family, then some folk like their faith also to be on the school curriculum in their kid's education.

Thanks Bob!! Our temporary accommodation will be in Cornwall Street Montagu Bay (actually also falls under Rose Bay area as well) we will aim to stay in that area if we find that the schools are good and we enjoy the area. I suppose we'll only know when we get there, but at least we have time to do all of this over there!

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Hi Noodles.

You have been there a while now, any new info. I think you mentioned that you moved to Kingston or somewhere near there? However you started off on the other side of the Derwent, so you should have a nice overall impression?

Rosebay have a great webcam that I have a look through daily.

I will be working in Hobart CBD so have to take some traffic into condsideration but mostly I hear that school zoning is quite strict in the public schools. So if you want to go to a certain public school you have to live in it's catchment?

Cheers,

B

edit - I notice that the original post was primary schools but I am also interested in senior schools. Thanks.

Edited by Brick

• 2 weeks later...

Hey B

See that you'll be here around June??

For some reason most South Africans seem to settle this side of the Derwent, ie Blackmans Bay, Kingston, Margate etc. I can no longer recommend Rose Bay High School on the Eastern Shore. Had a tour with the principal and was not impressed - at all. Both my boys go to Kingston Schools, Kingston High and Kingston Junior, other good state schools on this side include Blackmans Bay Primary, Illawara Primary (excellent!!!!) in Blackmans Bay and Margate Primary School, High schools there is Kingston High and Taroona High School - can only comment on Kingston though. Christian Schools on this side include Calvin (very recommended) and they have a high and a junior which are just opposite each other, Southern Christian College also in Kingston, and St Aloysius which is primary school but offering year 7 and 8 I believe next year?

They are very much into zoning, the state schools that is. No zoning with Christian schools.

Shout if I can help further!

Annette

• 8 months later...

Hi Heidi

My son is in Taroona High school but they have a primary school as well on the same site as well as pre primary and kindergarten..

Fantastic school - we saw a few other and were not impressed.

My daughter is in Sandy Bay Infant school - They take from pre kinder - to Year 2 then they transition to Weimea Primary or Taroona Primary. I am so satisfied with both, My daughter and son are bothe Christians have been in Christian schools in South African and they are making their mark on these schools.

Fees are also reasonable and teachers are amazing.

Send me a PM if you ever need an info. We live on the border of Sandy Bay and Taroona, close to schools and town.

Any other info you need - let me know.

How old are your kids?

Brenda & Nick

Thanks Brenda - you're a star.

Kids are 9, turning 10 in November, 5 and 6 years old.

Can you also be a bit more specific on how much the school fees are? Do you have an admission fee? Do you have to pay school fees all at once or monthly?

Thanks again!

Heidi

Edited by AndreHeidi

• 3 years later...

Bit out of date now, but someone else may have the same question sometime. My husband is the SA connection of our duo. I have been told by many that public or private schools make little difference in the junior years but private is the way to go for high school.