Got the Job!

blue

Hello All

My husband is going to be based at Sydney Airport, can anyone please give me a few suggestions on reasonable suburbs to rent near to airport - do not mind travelling an hour to work. My other concern is I need to find a primary and high school close together so that my son can fetch my daughter from primary school whilst i am at work. Furthermore, what are the public school fees? We are looking at using public transport as we have heard from various people it is more convenient and more cost effective.

I have heard that Sydney is the most expensive city to live in, is this so. I know it all depends on how you live.

Now that we know that we are going, suddenly everything seems so overwhelming, but we are sticking to our decision to go.

I'm sure that I will be posting more questions soon.

Thanks

Blue

Still in JHB so cant help with info that you needed! But wanted to say congratulations!!

Al

Hi Blue

You are in the exact same predicament as I am. My husband has also just had a job offer and he will also be based at the Sydney airport. We have a 12 year old daughter as well as a 10 month old, so we will also be looking for decent schools etc in the vacinity.

I have been looking around Brighton Le Sands, Menai, OYster Bay etc which was advised to me by another lady on the forum, she was very helpful. These areas are pretty close to the airport. As well as Mascot i have been told. But i have never been to Sydney, only Brisbane, so i am only going by what other people have been telling me.

I think we definately need to keep in contact, seing as though we will be living pretty close to each other. Is your husband a pilot? If so, which airline will he be flying for?

Hi Blue

You are in the exact same predicament as I am. My husband has also just had a job offer and he will also be based at the Sydney airport. We have a 12 year old daughter as well as a 10 month old, so we will also be looking for decent schools etc in the vacinity.

I have been looking around Brighton Le Sands, Menai, OYster Bay etc which was advised to me by another lady on the forum, she was very helpful. These areas are pretty close to the airport. As well as Mascot i have been told. But i have never been to Sydney, only Brisbane, so i am only going by what other people have been telling me.

I think we definately need to keep in contact, seing as though we will be living pretty close to each other. Is your husband a pilot? If so, which airline will he be flying for?

Hi Coyote

Yes he is a pilot, he will be flying for Qantas. We heard that the visas will take approx. 3 months, it looks as though he will be there before the rest of the family, has to go on a conversion, training, exams etc. for about 8 weeks. Then we all go over for a familiarisation tour, which i think is a good thing. I dare say that we should all be in Sydney by end of year, i would want my children to finish their schooling this year. Just had estate agents over this afternoon for valuation, what mixed emotions i am going thru now. The agent mentioned that the number of people selling an immigrating is phenominal.

It sure would be great if you are guys are doing the same thing, then we can share info. and we do not feel so alone.

Let me know, I bet our husbands will know each other- these pilots always do. It is a small world.

Cheers

Blue

Hi Coyote

Yes he is a pilot, he will be flying for Qantas. We heard that the visas will take approx. 3 months, it looks as though he will be there before the rest of the family, has to go on a conversion, training, exams etc. for about 8 weeks. Then we all go over for a familiarisation tour, which i think is a good thing. I dare say that we should all be in Sydney by end of year, i would want my children to finish their schooling this year. Just had estate agents over this afternoon for valuation, what mixed emotions i am going thru now. The agent mentioned that the number of people selling an immigrating is phenominal.

It sure would be great if you are guys are doing the same thing, then we can share info. and we do not feel so alone.

Let me know, I bet our husbands will know each other- these pilots always do. It is a small world.

Cheers

Blue

Hi Blue

My husband will be flying for REX. No such thing as a tour for us unfortunately, we just arrive and sort ourselves out. They have already completed the nomination part of the process and we are now just starting to do our online application. But you are probably right, i bet you they do know each other, that could be a good thing.

Have to dash home now, but will chat again tomorrow!

Hi Blue/Coyote

I would suggest going to Google maps. You can search for Sydney airport and see all surrounding suburbs. Once you have the suburb names you can go to a real estate site like www.realestate.com.au / www.domain.com.au and look at houses in the specific suburbs, this will help you get an idea if it’s old or dodgy or whatever…On Google maps you can go to ‘My Maps’ and select ‘Places of Interest’ which will show you surrounding churches, schools, shops etc.

YES! Sydney is expensive. If there were one negative thing to say about Sydney that would be it! Especially accommodation. You pay a lot of rent for a house with a small yard. The yards in the areas we’ve been looking are really small. We have two Labradors joining us in October so that’s a bit worrying :thumbdown:

If I had to do it all over again I would replace all my furniture in SA with what I’ve always wanted. Upgrade my wardrobe big time and send it all in a container. Those things are very expensive to buy over here. That’s why specials are such a big deal in Sydney – people are so aware of specials, you just wait and wait until what you want is on special somewhere… :ilikeit:

You know what though, you just adapt and change some small habits and you’ll be fine.

Here is link to Google Maps: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=....42572&z=11

Hope this helps

Estelle

Hi Estelle

Thanks for info. will definately make a plan - buy more clothes etc. here is SA. Could you possibly tell me, I have been searching the job sight - seek - i will be looking for secretary / receptionist position, i cannot believe the number of vacancies, what is the competition like, are the personnel agencies particular, should I do my own CV in a paritcular format, have heard people have had their CV professionally done. Any info. will help.

Thanks

Blue

Hi Blue

Sjoe, it’s difficult for me to comment on secretary/receptionist type positions. I am in IT and that’s really all I know about.

Around the CV’s, many companies have their own formats. The company I work for took my SA CV and the office lady changed it into their resume format before submitting to management. I am sure that it will be helpful to have your resume ready (Resume and CV differ quite a bit)

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help :ilikeit: