Anybody gone over on a 457 as a HVAC (Airconditioning) Mechanic

dirtbike

My agent has said that once I arrive in Australia I will have to do a TRA, and would like to find out more info regarding this. What does it entail? Do I have to write exams, do practical tests?? Any info will be appreciated.

Hi

Sorry I cant answer your questions. Just wanted to let you know that there is such a shortage of Air Con Machs, what with summer coming up, this is a good time to apply!!

Good Luck

Hi Dirtbike.

Not with 457, but with PR and my husband had to do TRA again when we got here, to apply for his Australian Trade Certificate. IYou have to have a electrical licence to work and some other licences. It is quite a mission and cost a few $.

There is also a lot of safety issues. My husband applied for a temporary Restricted Electrical Licence and it is valid for 1 year. He has to go to TAFE (College) to do a course in electrical.

If you dont have that you are not suppose to work on the electrical side and you need a electrician to do the electrical part of the work, which my husband has done himself in South Africa.

If you need any info please pm me. Just make sure you have all your documentation to apply for TRA.

Where are you moving to in Australia? Each States have their own rules. We are in Queensland.

Thanks guys. Just wondering what I would need to know in order to get my TRA and how difficult it is.

I have signed a contract to go work in Perth.

• 10 years later...

Hi,

My husband is a qualified Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic with 13 years experience in trade.

We are wanting to immigrate to Australia on a 190 Visa (PR). 

We see that after his visa is granted, and we arrive in Australia, he needs to undergo gap training and work under supervision for a period up to 12 months.

Can you let me know what your experience was with the gap training and working under supervision? We concerned he will not be able to find a job because he must work under supervision for a period.

Claire