The Hills

ta'mossie

Hi there

I've noticed from other posts that those of you who live in the Hills are all very happy. Would you be so kind as to answer a few pointed questions?

1) Can you live here, if you work in town? i.e. is the travelling time excessive?

2) What specifically do you love about your area?

3) have you made good friends, and where did you meet them?

4) What schools are in your area and which can you recommend (primary schools)

5) Where do you do most of your shopping?

6) Do you go to the beach often, and if so, which beach?

7) How far are you from the airport?

8) what types of recreation do you do with your family - is it free or how much do you pay?

I would really appreciate some help, as we will be in your nick of the woods, latest December.

cheers

karen

Edited by ta'mossie

Hi there

I've noticed from other posts that those of you who live in the Hills are all very happy. Would you be so kind as to answer a few pointed questions?

1) Can you live here, if you work in town? i.e. is the travelling time excessive?

2) What specifically do you love about your area?

3) have you made good friends, and where did you meet them?

4) What schools are in your area and which can you recommend (primary schools)

5) Where do you do most of your shopping?

6) Do you go to the beach often, and if so, which beach?

7) How far are you from the airport?

8) what types of recreation do you do with your family - is it free or how much do you pay?

I would really appreciate some help, as we will be in your nick of the woods, latest December.

cheers

karen

Hi there

We live in glenhaven. My husband works in the city right next to the opera house. He travels with the bus every day it takes him one hour and 20 min. It will take longer by car and cost you a lot more. We have met our friends at school and at church we attend Hillsong. My daughter is in Samuel gilbert public school. its is a lovely school the principal really goes out of his way to help families that have immigrated. Pacific Hills a christian school is close by it is just quit expensive. I do most of my shopping at Castle towers. It is a big Shopping centre I like its because everything is under one roof greengrocer, butcher, etc. We go to the beach once or twice a month depends on what activities are on at school. We like Narrabeen cause there are nice picnic spots and "Braai" areas. We are about an hours ride from the airport. Here are lots of parks the kids can play in we go one 4x4 trips and the kids like visiting the Koala park its costs $28 for a family. We like living here in the hills. Here is alot of Souuth Africans and it is very quite where we live. Hope it helps you.

bye

Louisa

Thank you so much Louisa.

Anyone else out there?

Hi Karen

We arrived in Sydney three months ago and have settled in an suburb called Beaumont Hills which is a bit further west than Glenhaven. We love the modern look of the houses here, it's also very quiet/peaceful and reminds us of the suburbs in SA. I do most of my shopping at Rouse Hill Town Centre (www.rhtc.com.au) which is only about 2km away.

My husband also works at Circular Quay and makes use of the Hillsbus to get to work and as Louisa mentioned, each journey takes just over an hour. If you'd like to visit the website for further info re the bus routes/timetables go to www.hillsbus.com.au.

We're very fortunate to have friends in Sydney who introduced us to other South African couples. Unfortunately I can't comment on schools in the area as we don't have any kids as yet. Haven't been to the beach either.

Hope this is of some help. PM me if you have any further questions.

Kind regards

Melony

Hi Karen,

We live in Cherrybrook, which is a beautiful part of The Hills district, even though we fall under the Hornsby Shire for some reason! We absolutely love it here and I can't recommend it highly enough!

Although I now work locally, I worked in the Sydney CBD for over 2 years. I travelled by train, from Pennant Hills station (which is about 5km's away) and the trip took about 45-55 minutes. I could have taken the bus from just outside my house, but the buses are slower and considerably more expensive, so I preferred to drive to and park at the station. Since the completion of the Lane Cove Tunnel, on the occassions that I drove in to the office, it took about 40 minutes as well. Outside of peak hour, it takes about 30 minutes to get into the city.

Cherrybrook is quiet and has a definite community feel about it. It's surrounded by a natural reserve, so there are plenty of trees and bush areas, as well as an abudence of birdlife. I do my regular shopping at the local Cherrybrook Shopping village, where there is a big Woolies as well as a butcher, fishmonger, fruit & veg shop and a bakery, but we also go to Castle Towers quite often.

I have a wide circle of aquaintances and a handful of real 'friends'. My closest friend is someone that I met online a few years ago when I went in search of info about Australia :ilikeit: We've also met people through the school, sports clubs (both my kids play rugby) and work. We have a much busier social life here than we ever did in JHB - by a considerable margin!

My kids both go to the local high school, Cherrybrook Technology High School, which is massive (over 2000 students) but very, very good. They have an awesome curriculum. My younger son went to John Purchase Primary for 2 years and they were also good. There are quite a few private schools around (Pacific Hills, Hills Grammar...) but I was happy with the public system.

We aren't really much of a beach family, but we go a few times each summer. We prefer Whale Beach, which is a little further out (about 45 minutes away) but it has a nice grassed area and is family friendly....not too many size zero models parading around making me feel like a whale :lol:

We're about 45 minutes from the airport, as well, although it can sometimes take an hour in traffic.

Recreation is PLENTIFUL - there is stacks to do here, from bush walking, to cycling, to pub crawling, to movies, to live shows (one of my favourites), to just lying at the beach, to playing sports together - we are never bored! There are more than enough free activities available if your budget is tight as well, so not having $30 to go to the movies isn't a problem. Grab a couple of chicken drummies, some rolls and a couple of beers, and head to the park to indulge in a game of french cricket with the neighbours!

Hope this helps!

Ajay

hi Ajay, and Melony

I'm touched that you guys took the time to give me such thoughtful replies. Thanx so much.

Hi Everyone

My Son, his wife and three teenage boys (15, 16 & nearly 18) has been in Castle Hills for just over a year. We spend two months with them Dec2007/Jan2008. We really loved the time with them. Castle Hills is quite a big suburb. They are renting a house walking distance from Castle Towers. I know Castle Hills goes further out. The boys walk home from Castle Hills High. They are happy and adapted well. I know that they have to work much harder in some subjects. They attend the Wesley Uniting Church where we met a few S/Africans. My son works in Homebush Bay - Areva. He drives to work.

We went to all the places that are mentioned in the other postings. Cherry Brook Mall, Kellyville Woolies and Coles, Dural Woolies, Westfield etc etc. We loved walking to Castle Towers, have coffee, browse around all the lovely shops and walk back. They were all back at work in Jan so we had to keep ourselves amused. We took the train to Sydney a couple of times from Pennant hills Station. 45 minutes in airconditioned coaches and once we took the bus from Castle Towers. We all went to Woolagong Beach and twice to Dee Why, Blue Mountains, Canberra, Jamboree other side of Woolagong Beach, Wisemens Ferry, Hunters Valley.

I would love to go again but with the Rand and the AUD it is getting expensive. Hopefully and we pray for that, that we can follow them in few years. We miss them so much but after we have been there I know it is better for our grandsons - their future etc. Unless a miracle happens in SA they will not come back with the current situation here. I know that Oz also have crime and all the rest but the daily kind of violent crime we see here is not happening there.

It is not easy for all the families - the ones left in SA and the ones going to Oz. It is really hard but we will survive. I pray every night that God will keep them safe!

Good Luck to all and God Bless!

Granny & Grandpa of Shaun, Craig & JJ - We love you!!!!!

Edited by FaerieG

Thanx so much for a beautiful post, i have forwarded it to my own mother and i'm sure it will bless her and also put her mind at rest.

Wow FaerieG its so great to hear from parents and grandparents of people who have immigrated it is so wonderful to see that you are so supportive. Its really hard for people immigrating leaving their parents and I am glad that you are considering joining them. (could you pls have a word with Him about my parents :) )

S

They've basically said it all already so I'll only add that it is great living in the Hills and even though we have a bit of travel to the city and to the nearest beach, this is one of the best areas to raise your kids and enjoy family life. You don't always have to travel to the city or the beach to get some action either as there's heaps going on right here : entertainment, shows, outdoor recreation, shopping, movies, parks, music & arts, celebrations and other events. When you arrive in the Hills, Email the council and they'll send you an info pack with everything you need to know about The Hills as well as a monthly newsletter with all the events - of which quite a bit are absolutely free!! You'll LOVE it here!! :)

We will also be settling in the Castle Hill area towards the end of the year. Thats for this post and all the information!

Andre

The following websites will be helpful for people interested in the Hills district:

http://www.hillsbus.com.au/

And this site is really nice, you give your address of Departure and Destination and it gives you multiple travel plans, very helpful...

http://www.131500.info/

Edited by Este11e

Many thanx, Este11e, will check it out.