Parramatta

engel81

We were planning to move to Sutherland, but have since realised that work prospects for me will be more west. The plan is now to move to the Parramatta area.

Can someone please tell me more about the area? Is it a ''good'' area to live in? What would the general conception be by Aussies if I tell them I live in Parramatta? Is this one of the areas associated with crime in Sydney?

Any help and advice please! OH works in CBD.

Most Saffers stay in the Castle Hill, Cherrybrook, Baulkham Hills, Bella Vista, Kellyville areas, if that helps.

Have a look on http://www.realestate.com.au and look at houses in these areas so you can compare.

We were planning to move to Sutherland, but have since realised that work prospects for me will be more west. The plan is now to move to the Parramatta area.

Can someone please tell me more about the area? Is it a ''good'' area to live in? What would the general conception be by Aussies if I tell them I live in Parramatta? Is this one of the areas associated with crime in Sydney?

Any help and advice please! OH works in CBD.

I've done a little bit of research and it would appear as if Parramatta is one of the areas with the highest number of home loan defaults in the whole of Australia, as well as one of the areas where returns on investment have been the worst. Make of that what you want, just thought I'd bring it to your attention. Parramatta apears not to be a very sought-after area, although that probably means that you can pick up properties at relatively good prices. See www.hotspotting.com.au

Hopefully someone who actually lives in the area can give more insight...I do not profess to be an expert.

Good luck!

Hi Engel81,

I live closer to Sydney, but I've done some work in the "Parra" area.

It's a personal choice, but I would not stay in Parramatta, there are better places to live that are not too far away with good commuter transport access. Both the M2/Victoria Road and the M4 from Sydney go past or through Parramatta. There is also a train line from Sydney to Parra, as well as ferry services.

Places to look at would certainly be those mentioned by Dedrei, Bella Vista, Castle Hill etc. If your willing to commute a little further you can even look more east towards Sydney, places like North Ryde, Pymble or even St Yves (about 20 - 30 minutes east from Parra on the M2 depending on traffic). If you live somewhere between Sydney and Parra you'll allways drive against the peak hour traffic with most people commuting into Sydney, which is also something to keep in mind.

My advise would be to look for something in a good area with good transport links, rather than staying in Parra itself.

z

Hi Engel81,

I live closer to Sydney, but I've done some work in the "Parra" area.

It's a personal choice, but I would not stay in Parramatta, there are better places to live that are not too far away with good commuter transport access. Both the M2/Victoria Road and the M4 from Sydney go past or through Parramatta. There is also a train line from Sydney to Parra, as well as ferry services.

Places to look at would certainly be those mentioned by Dedrei, Bella Vista, Castle Hill etc. If your willing to commute a little further you can even look more east towards Sydney, places like North Ryde, Pymble or even St Yves (about 20 - 30 minutes east from Parra on the M2 depending on traffic). If you live somewhere between Sydney and Parra you'll allways drive against the peak hour traffic with most people commuting into Sydney, which is also something to keep in mind.

My advise would be to look for something in a good area with good transport links, rather than staying in Parra itself.

z

Thanks!

We are now thinking of the Ryde area, maybe more north.

Ryde is a good area. Have a look at North Ryde. They opening a new trains station there this year . Lots of units and townhouses. Heaps of young families. Large Asian community in Ryde and in Epping.

Hi,

We are living in Lane Cove, which is a lovely area, the downside being only busses available for public transport. We don't need that, as we both are only 4.5 km's from work.

I'd also say Ryde might be an option, although there are a couple of other alternatives as well. Best thing might be to do a short term rental (which is not going to be cheap!!) and drive around in areas to see where you would prefer to stay - you will get a "feeling" immediately if you drive through an area at 2 or 3 different times - just observe, and then decide if it would make sence to live there!

Hope you find something suitable - if you'd like to contact us personally, send a personal message, and we can phone you.

Kind regards :)

Parramatta is for me like voortrekker road in bellville.

A bit more north is definitely better

I stayed in Parammata many years ago - bottom line is.......... i wouldnt recommend it.

Ditzy area with no personality, lifeless, and..... crap actaully.

We lived in Toongabbie for a while till we got a better place. Good for a start, but only sign a 6 month contract to look out for something more suitable. Toongabbie, Pendle Hill, Wentworthville is close to the stations & to get to Parramatta easily by train. They have beautiful units to "kick-start" your stay in Oz. Marylands is OK, but I still would say to go for Toongabbie or Wentworthville intstead.

Regards

Madelein