Lower North Shore, Sydney

GSI

Hi all,

Very early stages of the game, but can anyone give advice on the Lower North Shore area of Sydney - Mosman, Cremorne/Point, Neutral Bay etc. I know this area is very central and therefore I assume makes it expensive, but any other comments?

We have friends in the area, and if hubby gets the job the office is about 3 or 4 kms away in St Leonards.

We have a 2 year old so would be looking at a 3 bedroom house with a bit of garden, to rent at first to get a feel for the area.

Am I crazy?

Seen a fair amount in our price bracket on www.realestate.com.au , know it will be small.

But can anyone give me a feel for the area - also any good schools in the area (or good parks with jungle gyms!!)

Any observations/advice/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

GSI

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

Very early stages of the game, but can anyone give advice on the Lower North Shore area of Sydney - Mosman, Cremorne/Point, Neutral Bay etc. I know this area is very central and therefore I assume makes it expensive, but any other comments?

We have friends in the area, and if hubby gets the job the office is about 3 or 4 kms away in St Leonards.

We have a 2 year old so would be looking at a 3 bedroom house with a bit of garden, to rent at first to get a feel for the area.

Am I crazy?

Seen a fair amount in our price bracket on www.realestate.com.au , know it will be small.

But can anyone give me a feel for the area - also any good schools in the area (or good parks with jungle gyms!!)

Thanks!

GSI

Hi there!

Let me start by saying 'No, you're not crazy!' My husband and I went through exactly THIS! We came over to Sydney from Jhb end of April. My husband already had a job at an IT Company in St Leonards, and I started working for the same company 2 weeks ago. When we arrived, we stayed in a furnished apartment in Herbert Street, St Leonards for two weeks, just to give us some time to have a look around and see where we want to settle. We found that all the time we spent on the internet (day in and day out for WEEKS) did not help much - it's a different picture once you get here. We were really glad that we didn't 'book' or 'reserve' anything beforehand.

We were also looking for a place in the same 'criteria' as you mentioned - 3 bedroom house, with enough 'garden' for our daughter to play in. The places we had in mind in SA, were too far away, and we ended up looking in exactly the areas you mentioned. Like everywhere I suppose, the closer you are to the water, the more expensive. Mosman is a good otion, it is close-by and you won't sit in traffic for long every day. We couldn't find anything suitable for us in the area at the time, so we started looking at Lane Cove, Longueville, North Ryde. We thought that since Lane Cove, where we now live, would be almost 'industrial', being so close to the city, but it is the opposite - it's beautiful, peacefull, green, and most important - SEVEN minutes drive to work in peak-hour traffic! We found a three bedroom-house, with a nice froont and back garden, and love it here!

Are you perhaps on Facebook? Sorry that I ask this, but the best way I can think of to SHOW you what I mean, is if you have a look at our photos! I love taking photos and have added a few hundred in the past weeks, covering our 'surrounds' extensively!!

I can sit and chat ALL morning, but HAVE to get ready for work now! Hehe!

In case you're interested to have a look at where we are on Fb, my name is Saskia Jordaan. If not, that's also perfectly fine! I would still love to be able to help you with all your questions! Wish I had known of this site earlier - I might not have felt so 'lost' in this whole process!!

I will be on the lookout for your reply!

xx

Saskia, Peet and Alissa Jordaan

Hi all,

Am I crazy?

Thanks!

GSI

Hi GSI (& 3Jordaans)

We have lived in the lower north shore since the 1980s, so I know the area very well. However our kids were born here in Canada (where we currently live), so I don't know the schools that well.

There are a number of parks, pools, etc in the area though and many long-time South African immigrants.

We will be moving back to the area at the end of the year, but will probably upgrade our home for the growing family. We have a 2 year old as well, but have reserved childcare near Sydney Uni, where my wife will be working.

As for real estate, it depends if you are buying or renting - and how much you are prepared to spend. We're currently renting out our 3-bedroom home, so I know how much rents (and sale prices) are. We have joined a couple of real-estate websites, and are getting frequent emails about properties in our range. Before committing, you are better off waiting until you're there imo, as then you can see the lay of the land. Rents can be more affordable than buying - esp with increasing interest rates right now.

Apart from the ones you have mentioned, there are also a few other suburbs worth considering further west, some on the other side of the Pacific Highway/trainline (where we lived), incl Waverton, Wollstonecraft, St. Leonards, Crows Nest, Lane Cove, Chatswood West, Artarmon, Naremburn, Greenwich, etc. We have a strong preference for living close to the train line, and we reckon we can get on without a car even with the 2-year old. (Back in Sydney we used to own two cars, and never used them. We now don't own a car in Vancouver - and don't need one either).

In general, I like the area. It is convenient and pleasant, and most of what we need are within walking distance. We will try to upgrade within the same area. However, it is not the cheapest area in Sydney, as you probably know.

Christo

Edited by Coconut Ball

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the info.

Sydney seems to be off the cards, suddenly Brisbane is neck and neck... but you never know how these things work out. If nothing else, immigration and its process has taught me to consider nothing firm until you sign on the dotted line..

But will keep the info in mind just in case Sydney comes back and wins the race!!

Keep well,

GSI