Arriving in Sydney - how long to find a place?

jollywombat

Hi all,

My wife and I are coming over to Sydney on a 136 PR visa, landing on 28th of June. We don't know anyone there, don't even have a job yet... We've booked holiday accommodation in Manly for the first two weeks, but beyond that we don't have any plans.

I was more than a little unsettled by the posts on this forum about how competitive the renting market in Sydney is. Is it really that bad? How long should it take to secure a place to rent? I wouldn't want to stay in holiday accommodation for too long - really chows into your funds.

Also, is it feasible at all to stay further north - say around Woy Woy, and commute every day to Sydney?

Enige raad sal baie waardeer word!

Mate,

You're welcome to contact me if you need any help... I came over on PR visa too without a job. I live in the inner city and it's not that hard to find rental accomodation. Depending on your price range and area of course. My suggestion is to go for rental inspections during the week and not over weekends when you could be swamped by crowds. And the viewing window is usually max. 30 minutes.

As for living in Woy Woy and commuting into the city, it will take you about 1 hour 15 minutes by train. See the North Shore line schedule at www.cityrail.com.au. Most people start work in the morning at 08:30 - 09:00 in the city, so the relevant times for travelling from Woy Woy to the city (Wynyard station) would be:

Depart Woy Woy 06:43, 06:57, 07:13, 07:46

Arrive Wynyard 08:01, 08:16, 08:31, 09:01

Most people work until at least 17:30 - 18:00 in the city, so going home your schedule would be the following:

Depart Wynyard 17:35, 17:50

Arrive Woy Woy 18:54, 19:11

For times later than the above, the train stops at Berowra, so you'll have to change to the Newcastle & Central Coast line. It's a 28 minute journey from Berowra to Woy Woy.

The distance from Woy Woy to Wynyard is 62km by train and a daily return ticket will cost you $14.40. If you buy a Flexipass, it works out cheaper, e.g. $187 for a 30-day Flexipass. Assuming there are 22 working days in a month, it works out to $8.50 per day. See Cityrail Tickets & fares.

Here's the railway map:

Isn't it very difficult to find a unit without a job? I am used to landlords/estate agents wanting proof of employment in the UK.

Isn't it very difficult to find a unit without a job? I am used to landlords/estate agents wanting proof of employment in the UK.

have as many references as possible, also from a recruitment agent to show that you are actively looking for work.

It also helps if you pay 2 or 3 months' rent in advance, in addition to the bond (which is equal to 1 month's rent).

e.g. if your rent is $500 per week, then prepare to pay a bond of $2000 + 3 months' rent of $6000 = $8000.

Springbok has given you some info I wish I had had before we got here.

"Inspections" are the viewing of the house that is to be let. This is done on one day for only 30 minutes, usually. Miss it and miss out. If you like it, you apply to lease the house. Rentals are difficult to get because of the rate hikes, so you must go all out to impress.

We made a one page mini cv about our family and included mini photos of our house interior in SA. We also included police clearances (since we had them anyway), and a copy of our SA bank account (we had very little in the Oz account at that time). We did not have jobs, but we got found a place in two weeks. The agents are not all that helpful, so expect to run around for yourself.

Rentals are anything from $350 to $700. That is the middle bracket, with $450 being an average. I am not sure about the mid city, but that is the suburbs about 20 to 30 mins out of CBD. It is quite normal to travel 20 - 40 minutes to work each day (sometimes it is only the traffic that takes the time). A lot of the new suburbs have 4 bedroom houses as standard, and ducted air conditioning in some too.

Hope that helps.

It also helps if you pay 2 or 3 months' rent in advance, in addition to the bond (which is equal to 1 month's rent).

Great, thanks, I was wondering about that. I guess there's nothing like cold hard cash to help a prospective landlord choose you...

Now, please excuse me while I choke... that's a lot of money! :(

Hi there Jollywombat!

We'll be arriving on 23 June, also on PR 136 with no job or place to stay yet! Scared out of my boots because nothing has been settled yet in that regard. There might be something in the pipeline for hubby at the sister company where he's currently working, but nothing definite. I was wondering what we'll be doing once we've arrived, concerning accommodation. Finding accommodation for a family of 4 is difficult because there are so many choices and I don't know where to start really. Had a look at a few camping areas as well, but the prices are hectic! I see that you will be staying in Manly for 2 weeks. Is it perhaps possible to send me the details of the place, maybe a web address so that I can have a look at that as well? Might just be the thing that we're looking for.

Thanks!

Lurinda

Hi there Jollywombat!

We'll be arriving on 23 June, also on PR 136 with no job or place to stay yet! Scared out of my boots because nothing has been settled yet in that regard. There might be something in the pipeline for hubby at the sister company where he's currently working, but nothing definite. I was wondering what we'll be doing once we've arrived, concerning accommodation. Finding accommodation for a family of 4 is difficult because there are so many choices and I don't know where to start really. Had a look at a few camping areas as well, but the prices are hectic! I see that you will be staying in Manly for 2 weeks. Is it perhaps possible to send me the details of the place, maybe a web address so that I can have a look at that as well? Might just be the thing that we're looking for.

Thanks!

Lurinda

Hallo Lurinda

Ons het Januarie hier geland. Ons het by Sydney Lakeside resort gebly. Ons is ook vier. Dis in Narrabean so bietjie bokant Manly. Verblyf is maar duur. Wat julle so gou as moontlik moet reg kry is julle rental packs. alle agente soek dit as julle wil huur. Sterkte laat weet as ons julle verder moet help.

Louisa

Hi there

I am arriving in Sydney on around 13 June and have secured a job on the 457 visa. I to dont have accomodation - wondering if anyone knows of any great beach areas commutable distance to circular quay? heard from manly its 20 mins on jet cat.

anyone else got any info?

thanks

• 1 month later...
Hi there

I am arriving in Sydney on around 13 June and have secured a job on the 457 visa. I to dont have accomodation - wondering if anyone knows of any great beach areas commutable distance to circular quay? heard from manly its 20 mins on jet cat.

anyone else got any info?

thanks

2 areas you may wish to consider are Rose Bay and Manly - taking the ferry to work is wonderful. Rose Bay ferry is about 10 minutes. You can also look at Double Bay / Darling Point / Watsons Bay as they also have ferry services. There are other areas such as Mosman and Balmain that have ferry services, it is worth looking into those too.

Depending on your need though, property can be expensive in these areas - if you want a large home, etc etc, you would need some serious money - but if you are happy with a simple 2 bedroom apartment - it is affordable on a professional job.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any info on the Lilli Pilli and Helensburgh areas. They look reasonably priced. What are the areas like? How is the trip to CBD? The website says that there is a direct train line. Can anyone confirm this?

Al