160 vs 163

JacoCT

I was wondering if somecould please clarify the major differences between these 2 visas for me. I've been on the emigration web site and read up on this but as far as I can see the only difference is that you need more money for the 160 vise comparing to the 163 (government sponsored). So why would I go for the 160 instead of the 163.

Hi there

160 visa application to be lodged before age 45 (primary applicant) vs. 163 visa application age <55yrs (could also be extended in special circumstances)

I think the other main difference is the state sponsorship part. I have a 160 visa and we indicated

where we wanted to set up business. I think with a 163 you apply to a state who then have to 'sponsor'

you application i.e. I assume you may not necessarily be able to set up in the state you would like and you may

have to go to a state where the government is attempting to stimulate business growth.

I am sure one of the forum members who have or had 163 visa could clarify this for you.

If you are still not sure consult with a registered migration agent.

Regards and good luck

Sullie

Thanks for the feedback, we are just in the beginning phases of getting info together for the move. Did you make use of an agent or did you do the application yourself? Which province did you decide for the business and why? Did you start a new business or purchased an existing one? What was your general experience with the whole process? Sorry for all the questions.

Jaco

Hi Jaco

Kyk op die forum onder besigheid - 163 moved - Barone het goeie info gegee, dit het my baie gehelp. Ek is ook van plan om aansoek te doen vir 'n 163.

Dit wys jou watter forms om af te laai vir die gebied wat jy verkies in Australia. Ons wil in Perth gaan bly en dit val onder SBDC, hul vereiste jy moet in 'n radius van 50km van Perth 'n besigheid begin om State Sponsorship te kry met nodige besigheidsplanne ens.

Hoop dit help.

Groete

Rika

Riversdal

Hi Jaco

We made use of an agent. I am sure that you could do the application without an agent but I certainly felt that it was of great benefit for our application to make use of a reputable registered migration agent. I know of people who made use of 'agents' only to find out they were totally misinformed and lost vast amounts of money and time.

I chose WA based on my experience in the type of business that I was in and also based on our LSD trip. No use being successful in business and hating the place/enviroment. I purchased an existing business as it would give us a quicker route to a PR visa. Once that is established we will expand into the fields we would actually like to start up.

As it is with every person on this forum that is applying - it seems to take forever. There is lots of paperwork involved and you will spend hours and hours having documents certified. It can get frustrating at times but the more effort put into the compilation stage of the application the better for you. There is a list of things to get ready for applications on one of the other pages of the forum (item has been pinned) - this will assist you in the gathering stage.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask - that is the beauty of this whole forum. Most of the problems have been experienced by somebody already and they have a solution to assist you.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jaco,

First timer on Forum-I understood the difference between 160-163 as being 163 is State sponsored(the one we went for ) as opposed to 160 which is more of an investment type visa whereby you pay into the government about R4 MILL.which is held for I think 2 years and in the meantime you can do whatever business you like or get a job depending on how your finances allow.I stand under correction though and would value another opinion!

• 2 months later...

The difference between 160 and 163 is that you have to have had a larger business in SA to qualify (Turnover etc). It also gives you PR immediately, while the 163 gives you TR for 4 years, but the requirements are lower. We've submitted a 163 and hold thumbs - looking forward to buying something suitable in the Brisbane area +/-2010.

Hi Wodwik

Just to clarify : with a 160 you do not receive a PR visa, still a 4 year provisional visa with a list of requirements to satisfy before PR status.

Good luck with your application

Regards

sullies

Guest Bronwyn

Guys this is very dangerous. If you don't know the difference between two visas don't hazard a guess and put it on here! There are very stiff penalities in Australia for giving immigration information if you are not a registered agent! Please go to the DIAC website and clarify the differences for yourselves. There are very subtle differences (and some not so subtle, like whether or not a 160 is PR - no it's not! And it's also not an investor visa!) and each person interested in a business visa must be certain of what they are going for, and what their obligations are. It's a very quick visa to get but you will spend at least 2-3 years here before getting PR! If you do not comply you are deported. Simple. It's not a good idea to guess about this visa :)

Bronwyn