Childcare costs in Sydney

Red45

Hi there,

I am new to the site and this is my first post! I have only begun the process of visa application, degree accreditation recently, and it would be nice if IELTS could confirm my exam booking, but I suspect I will only get in in September - such a long wait. In the mean time, I'm doing as much research as possible, and so far we've narrowed down our possible destinations to Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane.

From what I've read, I am VERY nervous about the cost of childcare. Is it really that horrendous? I struggle to believe that the high cost makes it nonviable for women to work, surely in a country that has such a booming economy, with so many jobs being advertised, the government would make it worthwhile for women to work and therefore provide cost-effective childcare options?

Please could anyone advise as this has me very worried.

Thanks.

Guest natalie3

Red45..i have seen around the forum that we will be looking at $50 a day about per child..there are other options though..

The other popular option is an au pair..i dont know what they cost though..but i presume its better value if u have more than 1...otherwise "import an ouma" :ilikeit:

I am also worried about this because one of the reasons we are going to oz is so that i CAN work..(my lily white but cant seem to get a real job here in SA)

Hi

I'm also worrying about childcare - I will be the main applicant for our visa so I will definitely be working!! My oldest will go to school but the wee one will need looking after all day :ilikeit:

It sometimes feels like there is just soooooo much to find out :ilikeit:

Will do some investigating and let you know what I find out.

Tracey

Guest natalie3

Excellent site..here is a breakdown i found on it!

The table below provides a very rough guide of current costs for child care, it should be used as an indication only, for an accurate idea about the costs of care in your area you will need to contact the providers directly.

Type of child care Price Range

Nanny $10-$25 per hour live in $14-$35 per hour live out (+agency fee)

Nanny sharing $10+ per hour per family (+agency fee)

Au pair $80-$120 pocket money per week (+agency fee)

Mother's help $10 per hour live in $16 per hour live out (+agency fee)

Long day care (child care centre) $55-$105 per day

Pre-school $32-$40 per day

Family day care $4.50-$7.50 per hour dependent on geographical location and service

In-home care $20-$25 per hour

Babysitter $10-$25 per hour (+agency fee)

Outside of School Hours Care $15-$20 per day

While a breakdown of the costs of every type of care in each state and territory is beyond the scope of this article, we have sourced some information from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) which will hopefully give you a little more information about what prices to expect as you

Hi there,

I am new to the site and this is my first post! I have only begun the process of visa application, degree accreditation recently, and it would be nice if IELTS could confirm my exam booking, but I suspect I will only get in in September - such a long wait. In the mean time, I'm doing as much research as possible, and so far we've narrowed down our possible destinations to Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane.

From what I've read, I am VERY nervous about the cost of childcare. Is it really that horrendous? I struggle to believe that the high cost makes it nonviable for women to work, surely in a country that has such a booming economy, with so many jobs being advertised, the government would make it worthwhile for women to work and therefore provide cost-effective childcare options?

Please could anyone advise as this has me very worried.

Thanks.

Hi there,

We don't have children, but this topic (childcare centres) received wide media coverage in the papers last week - everybody of course feel this is a necessity! K Rudd promised that these facilities would get attention, and by 2020 will be in place (by that time you will probably not need it anymore!) but there is olso a big stream of people believing mothers with pre-school children should stay at home untill the kids go to school - which, with the living cost, is of course barely possible. Anyway, I attach a few websites which you may want to investigete!

Regards

Slingshot

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/Communi...Directories.asp

http://www.careforkids.com.au/search/regio...teID=1&ut=4

http://www.streetsofsydney.com.au/sydney/c/childcare.htm

Hi there

Yeah childcare is expensive and up until they go to school at 5 those intial years will be some of the most difficult. Apparently the government is trying to encourage the family unit etc and to encourage a parent (not necessarily mom) to stay home. You will also get a % back from centrelink if you are PR. I don't think there is a big difference in childcare costs in the different states in that they will be the same % of your salary. You will find that companies can be quite flexible with working hours so you will need to shop around to find a solution for you. If you have more that one child at home then perhaps and au pair is the way to go or if you have just one child and can work 3 days a week perhaps you can look after someone elses children the 2 days you are home and then when you work they can have yours?

Househusbands are quite common here so you an look at that option also or perhaps your company will let you work from home a day or 2.

Good Luck

Oh yes childcare is very expensive we are currently paying $265 a week so it works out to $53 a week.

But we can not do it any other way really. At least my son is now in prekindy and it does seem like the school close to us have kinder / preschool.

So only this year for paying high childcare rates!

Nats