Whats up in Darwin ?

Volare

Hi there.

This seems to be a very empty part of this site !!!!!

I hope we are not the only people moving up north.

If anybody is going that direction, or is already there – would love to chat

Hi there.

If anybody is going that direction, or is already there – would love to chat

When I raised the same question on another site I got the impression that it is not a very popular destination.

Al wat op die TV is van Darwin is die weervoorspelling ? En dis elke dag 33 of 34. So die klimaat is darrem stabiel. Dis al wat ek kan sê.

Another Territorian!

Excellent!!! :ilikeit:

When are you going, what will you be doing?

I haven't managed to make it to Darwin yet, but will be later this year for sporting events with my school kids.

Cheers!

Hi – That’s nice – looks like some people coming out the woodworks !!

We hopefully of to Darwin by about July. I have to first do my exams in Australia to concert my RSA qualifications to the Australian one.

Will be working up there for the coastguards.

Spoke a lot to my family about this. They all keen to go to a smaller town now. Got enough of Johannesburg shopping centers and traffic !!!!!!

If we would have stayed in RSA we where keen on PE or Plett.

So lets see – it’s a start.

• 1 month later...

Our family also on the way there. Started another thread but no response there. Hubby of to work for some company as well as 2 of his friends. According to stats Aus there are no Saffers there so we will have to start the new colony.

G'day folks

I live in Batchelor, 100km south of Darwin.

Left SA in 2001 for Auckland, got too cold there so now we have settled in the Territory!

Very few (if anny) saffers here, a few Zimbos, but not any SA that we know of.

If anyone is in the Darwin area, give us a call on 0428 490 308, name is Alistair.

Take care

Al

Darwin?

Been there twice (2000 and last year)

Great place for the adventurous and folks willing to try a completely new lifestyle . . . . tropical, "outdoors", wilderness close by

My wife's most favourite city in Australia (seen them all!), since she'd live there if I gave the nod!

• 1 month later...

Hi, leaving for Darwin shortly - should be within the next month - any Saffers currently in Darwin?

Hi there.

If anybody is going that direction, or is already there ? would love to chat

C u there in a month's time!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. We are also considering Darwin at this stage. I've never been there before so not 100% sure at the moment.

EugeneB, have you been there before?

I've heard only good things about the place but not sure if we are ready to pack up everything and move to a place we've never even seen.

Someone convince me please.

[.... but not sure if we are ready to pack up everything and move to a place we've never even seen./quote]

Are you serious?? Most of us never get to see where we get to end up here - like me for example!! :)

Hey, if you can survive in Africa, this whole continent is a walk in the park.

Gee thanks Tracy. :ilikeit: I saw in another post that you are in Alice Springs. Maybe I'll come visit you and we can put NT on the map. hehe.

If all goes well, I will know by next week if I will be making my way to Darwin.

No worries!

Was watching a TV programme the other night about how international investors have their eyes on developing the Top End. The fact that water exists in abundance up there makes huge cattle stations literally worth their weight in gold - up to $80 million dollars per property!

A lot of the Top End is probably one of the last wilderness frontiers left on the planet.

I'm still battling to come to terms with the personal safetly issue out bush - no-one locks anything, closes anything and it stays where you leave it. No-one gets attacked or robbed.

And there I am worrying about the bushes that rustle wondering who is bekruiping me!!! :blink:

Yes, you have to watch out for crawlies and bities, but hey, rather that than what we're all used to....

Look at what I have to be careful of as a scuba diver up Darwin way.....This is an American croc, but the salties are the nasties up there.

I have no problem with sharks, but a croc under water with me???? :whome:

post-785-1212441270.jpg

Hi Folks,

Relatively new to the forum, glad to see some life in this thread.

Several of us will be moving to Darwin in a couple of months, hopefully August, with families to follow by the end of the year.

NT's will be crawling with us Saffers.... bloody marvelous!! Looking forward to it, looks like a really great place. :whome:

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo Bluewind

As you can see not a lot of people from the forum that is going to the Northern territories. What are you going to do in Darwin.

It just seems strange another Saffer going to Darwin in August. There is five of our husbands that is going in August, wife and children following at the end of the year. Would be nice to make some quick friends once were are there, then it is not so strange. Hope to hear from you soon.

Nita

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all the new prospective Northern Territorians!

1st July will be my second year here and it is amazing how well we have fitted in.

Not really any SAFFERs here, have met a few Zimbos though.

As said before, my contact email is: alistair.lloyd@batchelor.edu.au or mobile 0428 490 308 when you arrive, give us a call!

Take care

Al

I am working for an American Oil company which have offices in Darwin and I normally travel to Darwin around 3/4 times a year. Been there last week for 3 days for work. Can make contact when I am there again if anybody is interested.

Great stuff. We will hopefully be in Darwin sometime between Nov and December. Will definately get hold of you guys.

Al, are you teaching there?

just come back from darwin on saturday. worked at the army barricks for seven weeks and had a ball, the weather in the dry season is awesome the place comes alive in the dry season but the wet season is hot very humid and very wet, big storms every afternoon did not meet any saffers.

So how hot and humid is it exactly? As bad as Durban or worse. The one consistent message I got from everyone I asked about Darwin was that it is hot and humid. I hate the summer heat in Durban but I can tolerate it if I have to. So just curious how hot and humid it will be.

We will arrive in Darwin in the beginning of wet season so should we be prepared for a miserable first 6 months?

There are some South Africans there. My husband is working there at the moment with two other South Africans, maybe you should all get together. The humidity is far worse than Durban and even worse than Richards Bay if you know that area. At the moment they are having temps of 31o and that is in the MIDDLE OF WINTER! :o

During the wet season it is very wet and muggy. I personally prefer that kind of weather so to me it doesn't sound too bad at all. I am sure you will acclimatise pretty quickly, I suppose coming in December wouldn't be the best time to do that though. :whome: Don't worry I'm sure you will have an extra large aircon and do just fine.

Someone told me the humidity is very similiar to Cairns and Deidre lived there for a while so she would be able to help you out weather wise.

Hello there

I am in Cairns, and the weather is definitely far worse than Durban. Took me a while to adapt, but after more than two years I have adapted and acclimatised. It really is something to get used to. You sweat morning noon and night, and it is just hot and sticky.

Darwin is by far a little bit if not more hot & humid then where we are.

So if you are up for very tropical weather, 37 degrees and 90% humidity and the odd tropical cyclone or two, by all means.

It is not everyone's cup of tea, so that's why I think there aren't so many Saffers that far north. One thing I can say, there is nothing as beautiful as living in the tropics. It has it's pro's & cons.

Drop me a PM if you would like to chat.

Cheers

D

• 6 years later...

I never seem to find anyone posting on this thread. I am sure there are alot of south Africans in Darwin. We have had our Permanent resident visa for a year now and we plan on making the move at the end of 2016, its basically due to tying up a few financial ends. The plan for now is that my husband makes the move on his own - he is a attorney and hopefully he can find work. Hes made a few contacts in the Darwin Legal field already and is willing to do some volunteer legal work whilst he is there so hopefully it wont be long before he gets work. I am planning on going home to the UK for awhile with our young son and then flying out to Darwin once thigns are secured.

Im not sure what attracts me about Darwin, I do have family in Perth and Sydney and they all say how beautiful Darwin is and how maybe that area would be best for overseas people seeling opportunites. so yes we will give it a go.

Extremely nerve wracking as when I moved to SA I never expected to be leaving, I thought that we would make this our home, when you have children tho you start to see things a bit more clearly. So yes terrified of the big move...but all our friends and family in Australia say we will be fine and from what I can tell from the posts on the forum it will be ok.:-)

Is there anyone I can connect with who is actualy living in Darwin at the moment? someone who would be kind enough to advise on rental prices cost of living etc..shopping and maybe how they find the life there?

Would really love to be able to do that, and it may ease the gut wrenching feeling I have whenever I think of this move. Its so difficult to think of leaving everthing youve known, Ive already done it once when I left UK 11 years ago so I must be used to it by now. Any advice or words of comfort appreciated.

thankyou guys